Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Post Your Secret Santa Planning & Excitement Here!

kirkus
15 years ago

Hi All Secret Santa's! Rather than having several Secret Santa posts on the conversations side of the forum, I thought we could use this post to share our excitement, mailing and receiving of our SS gifts, planning, etc. I am already feeling the excitement!!!! (I'll start a post in December where we can share our gifts after we open them.) If you haven't yet, let me know if you have or haven't received your SS name. (Just e-mail me or post on the post I created for that.) THIS IS GOING TO BE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!! Bear Hugs! Santa Kirk and Christmas Carol

{{gwi:128091}}

Comments (57)

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Everyone - Don't forget to update your Page so that your SS can know what you like and dislike. This worked well last year. If you don't know how to do that, this link should take you to the Member's Page.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Adina! Great suggestion! If you're having trouble updating your page, type it on WORD first, and then quickly copy and paste.

Oh my gosh!!!! We continue to get e-mails from excited garden junkers!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE IT!

Santa Hugs! Kirk and Carol

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Ahh, the snow is flying around a bit here...yesterday the ground was white...a few days before, it was 70 degrees...that's Iowa! Winter is on it's way! Did some TS'ing Fri. and am having so much fun lookin' for ideas for my SS recipient. Happy Fall! Jeanne S.

• melvie001
    15 years ago

Hello, I had a great time shopping GW, TS and $ stores today looking for just the perfect thing for my Secret Santa!!! I have so many ideas, now I just have to settle on one to stay within the $5 limit!!!! Knowing me I'll change my mind several times before the gift goes in the mail! Yikes!! Heaven help me!!!!
    Melvie (who lives just north of the Mason Dixon Line!)

• plumbnelly
    15 years ago

I went to the recycling center today and took a chance to look over into the glass bins. I found 2 blue bottles for my secret Santa! Yeah! This is so much fun. I've already cleaned them and removed the labels so they will be ready for her tree...

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I have been having the best time making my SS gift!!!! It turned out "magical" (hint)!!!

Susie

• huntermom
    15 years ago

Can't wait to get my name. "sometimers" has set in and I can't find my password to check email...and have misplaced my secret code.I feel so dumb!! I emailed msn and haven't heard from them...used daughters email addy and she is having probs too. Kirkus is gracious enough to snail mail me to get things going. Anyway, I have many ideas floating around. Make or buy? Shop or dig in my stuff?? Decisions, decisions :)

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, so mine is a bit fun cause I already have reserves of items for Garden Junk Secret Santa Christmas Exchange in hand. So, I guess they don't cost a thing! :-) I just have to find the perfect one(s) to send. Hehehehe. I don't even know if this person has an idea of who I am! Now, won't that be funny to receive a Bowling Ball in the mail? Heheehe, and I throwing anyone off? I bet the perfect 'gift' to anyone is this group just might be a few tubes of GE Silicone II! :-) My Secret Santa Giftee may live in Oklahoma, New York, Louisisana, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Australia, Canada, Arizona, Washington, Kansas, California, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Massachusetts, Michigan, Ohio, colorado, Texas or North Carolina! Or maybe its one from a state that I 'didn't' say! :-) Am I bad at teasing y'all? Heheee
    Love, Jules

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love this post!!! Everyone is getting so excited!!! Huntermom, I'm sending you your Secret Santa person in tomorrow's snail mail. Be sure to respond that you received your person. Bear Hugs! Kirk

• leveta
    15 years ago

I just got done making my SS gift...It will most likely sit outside, but pretty enough for in. It's my first one ever so I tried to make it extra special for my Xtra special SS....

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Keep sending the excitement! Down here in Florida the weather is so gorgeous I have to remind myself the Holiday s are upon us.I did just ask my daughter for a packing box since shes moving,Thats a START!!!!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I went to ts & found something I would love to keep, but I was SS shopping but it won't fit in any of boxes I have so I have to go looking for the "right" box!! Strong& long!! That's a clue!!! Jan

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Thats why Im finding a box first too.
    Then Ill have fun filling it!

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

I've got a bad cold and preparing to go with dh to Nawlins where he has a conference. So I haven't hit the ts for a week! Got to go today, there'll be a lot of new stuff, maybe the perfect thing for ss exchange!
    kathy

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Oh I love Nawlins Kathy. Haven't been there in many years though, it was before Katrina for sure.

We've got bad colds here right now too ugh :-(

Have a safe trip and have fun shopping there, it's a great place for that! ~tenderlee

• daisydal
    15 years ago

I have already got my little post-it filled out on my computer screen for my wonderful GJ SS friend!!! Lets see, now, the first one is:
    1. Sumpin' *****
    2. Sumpin' kinda *****
    3. Sumpin' with a little ***** on it
    4. Sumpin' in the shape of a *******
    and the last one is:
    5. Sumpin' that is..... A BIG SECRET!!!!!

Have fun, everyone, I know I am!!!!!
    blessings-sherri

• leveta
    15 years ago

Got mine boxed, just have to address it and send it...

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Thanks tenderlee. We went the year before Katrina. Dh bought the Post Katrina guide book. I'm a little worried about what we will find.
    Leveta, you are a very organized person! Im impressed.
    kathy

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Everyone has responded that they received their Secret Santa persons! That's 47 people in all! (...which happens to be my age!) Carol and I can now breathe a sigh of relief.

So, now we've been working on OUR gifts. Carol sure hopes her person likes cobalt blue. I sure hope my person likes wood and stained glass. The excitement begins!

Remember, we're all sending our gifts out by the end of the first week of December! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!!

Bear Hugs!!!! Kirk

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

WHOA! That's about 3 wks. to get those "honey's" in the mail!

My SS has alot of class
    So I found a piece of mighty fine "glass"..
    But rustic by nature, I'm prone to be
    So I'll have to fan-agle, what will be, we'll see!

Good hunting & fan-aglin', my friends! Jeanne S.

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

My SS present is wrapped and in the shipping box ready to be mailed. I might mail mine next week ahead of schedule just because its in the car and ready to be dropped off(-:
    Its been a TERRIBLE week here and I am so thankful its over. My daughter and her husband broke up last Sunday and we have spent the past week moving her home. Her husband of 11 months decided marriage was not for him. He wanted to be free to do whatever he wanted to and not have any responsibilities. It was very hard on my daughter and she has been really upset. So of course so have we. Even though we were against the marriage in the first place for just that reason. We knew her husband was not ready for marriage and was not trustworthy. But you can't tell a 20 year old that right? So...now we have all that to deal with. He basically financially ruined her. He didn't pay the bills and charged credit cards to the max. etc. He has told lie after lie and is rude and disrespectful to our family. I guess even though you think you know someone, getting married brings about a lot of things you never knew about that person. Scary thought now days. I am lucky to be married to the same person for 27 years. I wouldn't want to start over thats for sure. So thats what has been going on in our family this past week. I hope things calm down some and my daughter can move on.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

I am also lucky to have a good man for 36 years now. But I had a similar situation when I was the same age Cindee. And no one could tell me until I got hurt & my life messed up.

The old saying "Behind every cloud is a silver lining" turned out to be true for me. Because the 2nd hubby was the one I should have been with anyway.

Just love her, and let her know you're there. It takes time to get over something like that. She'll need her mom. Heartache can make you really sick, but she'll learn and make better choices as she matures. You & your hubby have obviously set a great example for her. Try to make good memories, they're the only ones that matter in the end.

~tenderlee

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Cindee11461, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's marital trouble. My youngest (not so young at 41)daughter found out her husband has had an ongoing affair with a much younger woman from church and is divorcing him. He's 48, his girlfriend is 30...and still lives at home with mommy & daddy. He is totally obsessed with her and all but ignores his two daughters, who have always idolized him. It's all too sad!

Anyway, with everything going on here of late, I'm way behind in my Secret Santa business. I have everything together but haven't had time to work on it. First...I have to hunt for my worktable...which has disappeared under a pile of stuff...also waiting to be worked on. Whenever I have something in my hands I don't quite know what to do with...it ends up on my workroom table for future reference.

Gee...I used to be so well organized. Now that the Old Woman keeps popping in unexpectedly, I seem to have lost control of things around here. The old bat tried to mess up our holidays last year, and apparently is off and running again this year! And just like last year...she seems to take great joy in either hiding my glasses or making me put them on up-side-down!! Grrrrr!!!!

Well...I'm off to hunt for my worktable! Maybe I'll have more luck today...with my glasses right-side-up!! LOL

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

You GO GIRL, use2bcapecdr...find that worktable! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:128187}}

• delta9dave
    15 years ago

I haven't really thought about who has my name but I'm very curious to see the reaction of the person who gets what I'm about to send.
    I have 1 question. If we spend over $5.00 on shipping do we get a penalty or something?
    Lumps of coal are kind of heavy.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season.
    Dave

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Dave,

If you have my name do not send me coal. I get that every year from my family!!!!

Susie

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Dave,
    I am pretty sure it will cost me a lot more to mail my package too. My item would work well for holding coal(-:

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

OK. Finally done with wrapping and packing for shipping. I had the best time and made the entire process an art project. It put me in such a wonderful Christmas spirit. I hope it delights the "reciever" (and you dont know who you are out there) to open it. I had a BLAST doing it!

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way

Susie

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

For what the post office charges these days, we're lucky a Christmas CARD is still under $5. LOL.
    I need a big box and I don't care what it costs, this was TOO much fun and I can't wait for my SS to be "surprised".

A shame I don't get the same kick out of family shopping, LOL. Everyone has wish lists and NO surprises at all. (Plus heaven forbid its hand-crafted or "stuff" like we all love here! So I really get into this GJ exchange.

hugs, Karen

• desertrat1
    15 years ago

This is getting fun. Who knows that I'm their Secret Santa "gifter"??? Well, no one does! (I think) Hehehehee Now, off to finish mine and get the right sized box!
    In regards to price of shipping --- I never include shipping as part of the cost of the gift. This baby will be packed with lots of fluff.
    Oh, BTW, it's like in the 80's or 90's here lately and hardly any wind. Like Jan said--we need some more rain!
    Sleep well all!
    Love, Jules

• misselaineous
    15 years ago

Good morning all Garden Junkers...Love reading the building excitement of SS gifters! I've looked high and low for the perfect gift for my SS person, and I think I finally found it in my own backyard!! Can hardly wait to get it in the mail, and even more, can't wait till my person receives it!! With all the gloom and doom we, as a country, have been experiencing this year,it just feels good to know I can make someone else smile! :D On a more somber note, I'm so sorry to hear of family problems affecting so many garden junk members. I, too, have been going through the breakup of my son's relationship with his girl...sadly they decided to have a child before they were stable themselves. The result was my precious granddaughter who is caught in the middle. It is a heart breaking situation, one that seems to just get worse as time goes by. Ali will be 2 on Friday, and I'm not even sure if I'll be able to see her...I think we can all use a few extra prayers to help us get through these difficult times. I send mine out to all garden junk members, and pray for better times to come. Have a wonderful Wednesday...may the sun shine on you all! *elaine*

• leveta
    15 years ago

Mine is just sitting here waiting for just the right time to send it. I figure maybe after Thanksgiving.

• leveta
    15 years ago

Elaine, I'm sorry to hear this also. My DD is also going throught a D. She has 2 babies that are 11 months apart. One is 2 i/2 and the other is 19 months. I have them everyday through the week. I'm so sorry for the heartbreak I've seen here. God bless you all.....

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I decided that this Secret Santa stuff is great!! I thought I would try and look the part. Here I am! The suit fits very well. LOL

Susie

{{gwi:128188}}

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Very cute Susie! Are you planning on hand delivering your gift Xmas eve!! LOL Well, I finished part of my gift last night so time to wrap!! Asked DS what they want this yr. That's easy money!!! Got a patio to put in next spring so outside will be finished. So boring but easy for me, still have to send the box of goodies & little extras so they get something!!DD always has a great list for me so easy to shop for them. Clue for SS something colorful, something tall & something sunny!! Ha! HO! HO! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Luckily my SS likes making glass totems so I have some choice pieces I found. I am still working on my "big" gift. It is something else my SS "collects" for their garden.

Fortunately for me, I order our office supplies at work. And guess what they come in? Wonderful big boxes! I have been hoarding boxes under my desk for weeks now. People are probably wondering what in the heck I'm doing. I am also hoarding small boxes to wrap little things in individually so it seems like I'm giving lots and lots of gifts!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Well, I have got to say that this has been a blast! I really haven't had this much fun searching for things since my daughter was a little girl and my DH and would spend hours in the toy store! I had been looking and looking for one more thing that my SS said they liked, but hadn't had any luck. But today, I went into GW and lo and behold, there is was!!! I was SO excited I wanted to squeal!

I'm really sorry that so many of you are having such trying times--especially at this season of the year. My years were 2005 and 2006. So, believe me when I say that things WILL get better! I'll be keeping you all in my prayers and hope that each of you will be able to enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas even in the midst of all of the strife you're facing!

And, Purplemoon, I know what you mean about handmade gifts not being at the top of everyone's lists, but I've decided this year, I'm going to incorporate my GJ inspiration in their gifts anyway! I've learned so much from all of you talented folks this year and it has been a joy to create and share with others!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I can not believe it!!! I went ahead and mailed my SS gift today. I am allergic to standing in line with the pre-Christmas post office gang. I had to return some chocolate cups that came in the mail melted. So I took my SS package at the same time. The small chocolate cups were supposed to amuse my Holiday guests with after dinner chocolate liquior for those who indulge. The chocolate bowls were going to hold individual berry and whipped creme desserts. But somewhere along the mail route they melted. :( Do ya'll have any idea how to make them at home?

Susie

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I mailed mine today!!! I am so excited and can't wait for my SS person to get it(-: I think it will be perfect for the garden!(-:
    I am sorry to to hear of so much family difficulties at this time of year! I just hate seeing everyone go through all this. Its very hard. My DD seems to be doing better these days so I hope she continues to do so(-:

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Santa Kirk & Christmas Carol - Do we need a new post started for those SS givers and receivers? I see some givers are right up to speed! Ho! Ho! Ho! Jeanne S.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I'll start one. Good idea! Kirk

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Garage saling tommorrow whooeeeeee

• princess_mimi
    15 years ago

I went scrounging around the house to see what I could come up with for Christmas gifts. I found a "vintage" fabric panel that I'll quilt up and embellish for someone. It's been in a box since I bought it 18 YEARS ago! My kids' teachers are getting the fleece "confetti" scarves and hats that I can make for less than $10 each. There is so much junk on my sun porch that I know I'll come up with something cool for my SS person. Maybe I'll wrap it in a quilt so that it will get there in one piece!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bumping this up so people can share their planning and excitement in the Secret Santa Exchange! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Got something I put together and it looks great,don't want to give it away. And some other REALLY cool stuff for my person to make into what they like.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Backyardmom, I was all worried you opened your gift! LOL I LOVE YOUR PICTURE! :o) It builds the Secret Santa excitement and anticipation! I added a quick link below so people can see your gift. Thanks for sharing, and thanks everyone for your posts and excitement. Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:128186}}

• backyardmom
    15 years ago

Thanks Kirk for adding a link I had no luck with it.Oh no I have to wait till Christmas Eve when my kids and grandskids are here to see me open it.They are excited about it as much as I am.When the mail man brought it up to the door.I put it on my love seat and I thought why not take a picture of it and share.It's waiting for the tree to go up.On Christmas Eve I have an open house and right before friends and neighboors come in Santa comes and sees my grandkids,and he'll be here for me to open it. Have fun in the next couple of weeks.Joan

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Too funny! I thought you opened it too...and what is going on? You're not supposed to open it until Christmas!!

But then...I figured the Old Woman got into your house and took over. There's no controlling that woman!

Anyway...I'm glad to see you've resisted the temptation! That...and the fact I don't have to cook again tonight...have absolutely made my day!

~Sandy~

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol and I worked on her gift tonight. All finished. Just needs to cure... We like it so much that we talked about keeping it! LOL Won't though as the deadline is approaching! I just can't wait as more people start receiving their gifts! Bear Hgs! Kirk

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?