Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_kindred

Just a minute needed to whine.....

Marlene Kindred
12 years ago

Yesterday was a really hard day for me. I got up to get ready for work and realized when I went out to feed my cats that one of them was severely ill. My fourteen year old tabby cat (Tabby is his name as well) was not able to walk and was struggling to breathe. I got dressed and after sitting with him for a while til the Vet's office opened, I took him in knowing I would most likely have to put him to sleep. It was agonizing to watch him like that. Poor boy was struggling in the Vet's office and accidently bit me...four times before I could get away. It hurt like the dickens! I grabbed him up and took him to the back where they let me lay him on the table. The Vet was really good to me. He insisted I wash my hand really well, then he cleaned it again. He stayed there with me while my kitty passed on. I was totally heartbroken. It is so hard to lose a furry child...I know that many of you know what I mean. Tabby would come in every morning and "talk" to me while I made their breakfast. I'm really going to miss him. My hand got much worse as the day went on, so I went to the doctor in the evening and yes, it was already infected. They gave me antibiotics for ten days and now I've got a very swollen, red, and stiff hand. Can't be upset about that...I know my boy didn't mean to do it.

Just needed to share my sorrow with my GJ friends....thanks for listening.

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Sounds like Tabby died of old age so not likely he gave you a serious disease. Animals can give very nasty bites tho-pig bit uncle when he tried to give him a shot(raised them) by nightfall his hand was twice it's size(he did go to dr.) so watch it carefully & look for any red streaks up your arm, if you see any get to ER immediately, it can be extremely serious! Not fun to have medical problems when you are dealing with such a big loss & also another kitty who probably isn't too happy as he/she has lost his best friend!Jan

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Oh Marlene, I'm so sad to hear about Tabby. I have lost 3 of my fur babies in the last couple of years (each was 17) and I know how much it hurts. You have had a very upsetting year with tornados, earthquakes and now losing you prescious little boy. Now he is in heaven, young and healthy and watching over you.

God Bless, Judy

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about Tabby, Marlene! I know how hard it is to see a fur baby sick and not be able to do anything about it. I remember when our Golden Retriever was sick and I took him to the vet, the vet touched him wherever he hurt and I let him bite me instead of the vet. Yep, they can hurt like the dickens! For some reason, cat bites and scratches are easily infected. I'm glad you got some antibiotics for it before it got too bad. Not the way you want to remember your sweetie's last moments. The silver lining? You have many years worth of memories to remember him by. (((((HUGS)))))

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I am so so sorry I do understand .Sure hope you do ok.(((((LOTS OF HUGGS))))))

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

This always makes me add a blessing to my life...
    "Thank God for good, caring vets & their assistants."
    Such a hard thing to go through but they soften the journey. Hugs to you, Marlene...from Jeanne S. (a dog owner)

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear your sad news, But do be sure to take care of yourself now. Furry friends are so dear.

• Marlene Kindred
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the sweet support. I have missed my old boy, but the other three are keeping me busy. They have missed him too, so I've been giving extra attention to them. My hand is much better this week too, so that's a plus.

Thanks again~
    ~M

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

So sorry about the loss of Tabby. Thank goodness you realized he was ill before you went to work so he didn't suffer all day. What a relief that your hand is better.
    Not sure what to say about Heaven and pets except if they aren't there how could it be Heaven?

Kathy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Sorry for the loss of your cat.
    Glad the bites are better......