Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

My Quilts!

kudzukween
15 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised to find photos of my quilts hidden in a WalMart bag :D I added the photos to my blog. How many of us are quilters?? Some are rotary cut!

Kudzu

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Comments (13)

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Kudzu, WOW! Just beautiful! Great choices of colors and designs!!! I can't wait to show your quilts to Carol, my wife! She is an avid quilter. I'll have to take some photos of her quilts and post them. Your talents are AMAZING!!! I have visited your blog several times and am always inspired!!!! Thanks for sharing your creativity once again! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Hi, my name is Linda, and I'm a quilt, button AND fabric-aholic, lol.

Kudzu, Those are great and I LOVE that snail's trail quilt!! Very nice.

Here's my sewing album, with some other stuff. The photos aren't great, but you can see them. Some of these were for challenges at the guild I belonged to for awhile. I mostly make them from other stuff, kid's clothes, jeans, etc., and just make them up as I go along.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda's quilts

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Wow! You guys are artists! I know how to sew, but nothing like this! I have to come back and look tomorrow! Good nite.
    kathy

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ya'll! Kirkus,I'd love to see Carol's quilts :D
    Kathy you can make quilts,too! I'd buy a rotary cutter and mat if I were you...I believe those are the very best thing ever invented for sewing! You can make a quilt top so fast, that comes out much more accurate.
    The hand quilting was so relaxing to me.

Oh,wow....Linda! I love your quilts..how did I not see you had a quilt album? I have your album open in another tab, I just had to stop at the tree skirt and tell you that that's another quilted piece I forgot I made. I'm too ashamed to admit in real life that I forgot I made all these quilts! But you just reminded me that I made a strip pieced diamond shaped Log Cabin tree skirt in red,white and green. I have no idea where it is!
    I love the setting of the Grandmothers Fan in yellow and red, and all the denim ones! I'd saved so many pairs of jeans, and never got to make a single quilt of denim. The baby clothes are just awesome,too. Reminds me my aunt made a quilt and added clothing labels to it for her grandson. I'm pretty sure it was a Log Cabin quilt.

Wow, love the gray scale quilt, I had to look at it twice to see if it was a black and white photo :D And I love the skull quilt. And the colorful backings on your quilts.

Beautiful Snow White costumes,too :D and purses........Ok, I love them all :D
    Kudzu

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I added more photos today!

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBORS TALENT! I have to keep repeating this over and over. Ya'll make me sick with envy.LOL I'm just blown away at the thought of how many hours goes in to making just 'one' quilt. What perfect treasures to last for generations. I do believe there is a 12-Step Program for the Insanely Talented if you ever want to stop (I.T. Anon.).

Susie (full of turkey feathers)

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Great quilts Kudzu! I love looking at them and I have several that my grandmother made, but I've never tried to make one myself...not enough patience I guess. Love all of the designs!

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Love all those beautiful quilts! One of my grandmothers quilted almost every day. Never on Sundays, but had a quilt going all the time. Didn't make clothes though, other than mending them. Just quilts, and a few aprons. And pot holders. Good thick ones.

She worked in a cotton mill for about 30 years, and I have some of the unbleached muslin fabric made in the 1940's and 1950's stored in my house. It's like large sheets and makes the perfect quilt backing. Impossible to find fabric like this any more. I think it'll make some really nice quilt backings some day when I find time to quilt again.

I have quite a bit of printed fabrics saved from that era also, mostly from clothing that had material that I thought would be worth saving. Also quite a few old buttons too.

I buy old sheets or table cloths if they're the right fabric for future quilting at yard sales. The older fabrics have such an authentic feeling to me, wish I'd saved even more fabric, but we can only keep so much stuff, as all us junkers know!

Maybe this next year I'll start sewing again and start by making 2 baby quilts for the grandkids. I want to make something they can keep forever like the quilts my grandma gave me. Priceless!

I made a denim crazy quilt in the 70's. Will try to get a pic of it, I think my son has the quilt now. I used that old muslin backing on it too.

Would you girls post pics of a few of the backsides of your quilts sometime? Might be hard to photograph, but I think that's a pretty part of quilts that usually gets neglected. All those stitches are beautiful to me as well. ~tenderlee

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, I love your quilts!!! I'm crazy about quilts but have yet to take on one of my own creations. I end up with the store-bought variety which will have to do me. I have several quilts for the master bedroom and the guestroom, but none are handmade. As a matter of fact, I picked up an awesome one for the guestroom this past summer...complete with tiny ribbon flowers...at Goodwill of all places!

I have threatened to get into quilting...I sew everything else...but just have too many irons in the fire and never seem to get around to it. My loss!!

Your quilts are lovely! Thanks for sharing your pictures of them!

~Sandy~

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Kudzu, You have lots of my favorite quilt patterns. Your butterfly quilt is very old fashioned and really cute. I've always loved that jewel box pattern and have never seen the jacob's ladder fan before, but it's great!

Don't feel rejected by one of your quilts anywhere. If I don't hear, "Why would anyone ever want to make THAT quilt?!", or the word 'clever', or "NOBODY LIKES YELLOW!!!' referring to a quilt I made from at least a few people, then it's not up to my own twisted standards, lol. There are no actual, punishable rules in quiltmaking.

The black and white flower is a quilted pillow. I took a class from Cynthia England when I was in a quilt guild, and she uses a freezer paper method to sew zillions of little pieces together for a very nice effect. The pillow is black to white, because I, of course, couldn't have it look like anyone else's in class. I used the same method on the sky on the Mud Flap Girl quilt. It's time consuming, but works really well to get parts exactly where you want them. Here's a link to her patterns.

It would ge great if others would post quilts too. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt Patterns

• kirkus
    15 years ago

My wife Carol was ecstatic to see everyone's beautiful quilts today! I'll try to get some pictures soon of Carol's quilts, wall hangings, pillows... Everyone on the forum is so talented! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll!
    My Granny, and even my Mama called the muslin "domestic", I guess that it was called that for a long time. When I was a tiny girl,and when I wasn't in school yet,too,we'd walk downtown and go to a shop called Zondel Gardners, which was like Hancock Fabrics. I loved looking at the fabrics. And back then JC Penneys sold fabric upstairs. I made Barbie clothes from the remnants of Mardi Gras and wedding and ball gown fabrics.
    Linda, you reminded me of yet another quilt I started, I'm sure I had enough pieces done, but it's Grandmothers Flower Garden, I made the flowers with the English piecing method, and I loved making them, it worked great. I started with bright yellow centers, and then changed my mind to light peach centers. One row of petals on each flower.
    I don't have a lot of quilts left, I'd make them and give them away or sell them as fast as I made them.

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Wonderful quilts from very talented, artistic ladies! I sure admire your steadfastness, something I'm not good at. My quilting experience was sitting at the feet of my Grandmother, sorting out her scraps for quilts. She was blind so us kids would put patterns, designs, etc. in piles for her to sew together.
    Vickie

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor