Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I put my dog , Anna, Down today ...

toomuchglass
13 years ago

I made the awful decision to have my dog put down today . She's a cocker/bichon mix & was 17 and a half years old !

Watching her have so many problems in the last months & weeks & days - I knew in my heart it was time.

I went to a vet in my vet's practice that I've never seen before . I think she really IS a NEW vet . I was so impressed at how concerned she was for me & how peaceful she made the whole process.

She did the whole procedure slowly and calmly ...and explained every step of the way what is going to happen. Finally , Anna just relaxed in my arms for the last time. It was so calm , so quiet ,and so respectful .

All went well .....

I hope some of your pets that crossed over the rainbow bridge will be waiting for her ...... she'll be the little fiesty blonde dog that loved to play "Peek-a-boo --- I'll get you " and run like heck.

((((((( Anna & all her new found friends ))))))))))

Comments (15)

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I am so sorry I do know how you feel.I have done it about 5 times .I do not want to do it again.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Must have been a tough decision, my only dog got stolen when I was about 12, a Cocker Spaniel that was blond too. I have 1 pic of her. Looked for her down country roads for 2-3 years. Your Anna sounds like a treasure, she has loved you for a very long time, must be great care you gave her! Glad she went easy & glad you got a good new vet. She sounds like she will be a keeper too! Maybe after a bit you can look for a sweet shelter dog to give a good home to & love. Jan

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Sorry for your loss--It is so hard to do!
    My last dog, at age 12 was put to sleep in 2006, and of course my 'World's smallest cat' Bitsy, about a year ago.
    I still go and look at the media coverage about her, and shed a tear or two.....

• kirkus
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing one of our furry family members is so difficult. My heart goes out to you. Cherish the memories of Anna.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

So sorry Toomuch.
    Kathy

• shysue
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry you had to let your beloved pet go. It is so hard to do, but it is for their sake. I know how you are feeling, because I've been there with Raven, my loving companion for 14 years.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

2much...thoughts are with you...such a hard time to go thru...thank God for those humane, caring vets...& that Anna died peacefully. Jeanne S.

• jlily
    13 years ago

2 much, I feel for your loss. I just put my 14 yr. old Schauzer down about 2 months ago. He had heart trouble and liver Cancer. He had been with us through my hubby's Cancer-and his passing-and my Cancer, too. He fought so hard to stay. I have since gotten a 3 year old female dog (Louisa)from an abused animal shelter. She is so sweet. We work to get rid of her pain and fear every day. Good luck and peace of mind to you. Jlily

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I am so very sorry that you had to let your furry baby go. It is a hard decision to make, but one that probably was best for her since she had been in pain. My heart goes out to you and I'm sending tight, caring hugs your way.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much ..... it WAS a hard decision to make.Her little heart could have gone on for much longer - it was her body that just couldn't keep up .

I couldn't prolong it any longer. Time will heal me .
    All your kind words touched my heart ....

Thank you again , Kathy

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kathy, I just saw your post...and Kirk's. My heart breaks for what you are going thru. Its never easy to say goodbye to our beloved animals. But the love they give us
    makes the pain worth it. (I will be losing one in the next few months, he was diagnosed with cancer last week).

I just posted this beautiful 'card' to Kirk, but I want to give it to you too. I have always loved this...
    {{gwi:126913}}

hugs, Karen

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

Kathy,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes we KNOW it's time because they tell us. I almost put my Missy girl down about a month ago. That was such an emotional day, but turned out the best in that we had our Missy girl. Vet gave her an evaluation and she's doing WAY better now. Pain meds make the difference now. She's 14-we've had her for 13... Lots of firm tight squeezes coming your way.
    Love, Jules

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Dear Kathy,

My heart aches for you and the heartbreaking decision you had to make. Anna is young again, happy and painfree, because you gave her the ultimate gift. God Bless you, and know in your heart of hearts you did what was best for her and she loves you all the more for it.

Hugs, Chelcass

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Both you and Kirk, so close together. I'm sorry. Please read what I posted to Kirk.
    Nancy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, Kathy! I know how hard it is to have a furry family member put peacefully to sleep and it was wonderful that the vet you went to was so compassionate. I still cry when I think of my last little dog, Bitsy. Despite it being so difficult, it is the kindest and most selfless thing you can do for an ailing pet. (((((HUGS)))) to you, jlily, Kirk and Karen for your current and future losses!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA