Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princess_mimi

Prayers please.

princess_mimi
13 years ago

I'm having knee surgery on Thursday the 11th. I'm not too concerned about the surgery itself. I am however concerned about my recovery. I have my six wonderful boys to take care of me and friends and folks from church have already arranged several days worth of meals. So what's to worry about? I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict. This is the first time in my 26 years of recovery that I'll have anything that is potentially more painful than childbirth and the docs are recommending pain killers for the beginning of my surgical recovery. I've alerted my support groups. I've talked to the docs about the situation. My DH will be in charge of doling out any narcotics. None the less I'd appreciate all of the spiritual support that I can get.

Thanks folks!

~~Mimi

Comments (17)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope it goes well Mimi! Bro is having surgery next week on 19th. He tore his meniscus along with bursitis in that knee so having 2 slits made to cut out torn part. I know a couple of people that have done very well & had no pain meds from knee surgery & my GF's hubby had valve replacement in his heart where they really open you up & he refused all pain meds. Couldn't believe it but he said he was going without & he did! Lot depends on your pain threshold. So psychic yourself up, that once the surgery is over it will be a breeze & with all those people watching out for you it will be. Do keep the knee moving so it doesn't freeze up. That is real misery, my son had that years ago. Hugs & prayers coming for you & your medical team & your family, hope hubby is working by now too! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Hi Mimi~

Sure will keep you in my thoughts and send lots of supporting prayers your way! Good luck with the surgery....I had knee surgery a year ago and the one thing I can tell you is that I needed a walker when I first came home, so if you don't have one, see if you can get hold of one before Thursday. As far as meds go, I used only a very few pain meds and lots of ice. Then, I was good with ibuprofen so hopefully you won't need a lot of medication either. Will certainly be thinking of you along the way!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Prayers coming your way Mimi! I take percocet periodically and the doctor said that the big habit forming thing about them and other painkillers is people are deathly afraid of the pain coming back so they become addicted to them. I would think as long as you have a tolerance for some pain and have your DH in charge of them, you should be fine. But I'll keep you in my prayers just the same!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Prayers for NO PAIN coming your way!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

May you heal quickly, P-mimi ... & with all your family, friends & faith, you will do just great! You will know what you need & will be in charge of your body & know what you will need for relief ...so, don't worry...you've been strong & can make it on this journey, too. Will keep you in good thoughts & prayer...good to hear from you. Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Thinking about you today Mimi! Hope all went well with your surgery and you'll be up and around soon!

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the prayers! Marlene I appreciate your asking for an update. Here it is:

I'm doing amazingly well! I only had to take narcotics for 36 hours after the surgery and they just made me sleepy and thick headed. No euphoria and much to my surprise I have had no cravings since I switched to over the counter meds. That is what I call "a God Thing"! I chalk it up to His goodness and all of the wonderful folks who asked Him for it on my behalf. Thank you all again.

I'm gimping around without any crutches already and the stitches itch like crazy. I guess that indicates how fast I'm healing. I have been truly blessed.

~~Mimi

P.S. I'm sure that all the chocolate that was showered upon me helped too! =)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Glad you are doing so well! My bro. is miserable & can't wait until they operate on his knee fri. Hope he does as well as you are doing. Older man at church is doing great & walking around already too so I think they are doing things with less cutting than they used to& easier on patients. Enjoy your time off!! It will be back to work before you know it!! Have a nice Thanksgiving! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Wonderful news Mimi! So glad you're feeling better and getting around! And yes, chocolate is a miracle drug! We'll keep those prayers coming your way!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Glad to hear you are doing good.......eat some more chocolate......just in case! Prayers for continued good progress.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update, mimi! Sounds like you're getting back to your new "normal!" Chocolate! Well, that's a given for when you need it! LOL! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Glad things went well!
    Chocolate--Think I will get up and get a piece of
    Dove dark chocolate right now--LOL

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I thought I'd give you all an update. I'm doing GREAT! I can get around better than before and am even wearing platform high heels for a show that I'm performing in. Good is good and so are my junker buddies!

~~Mimi

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Glad you are doing so well! What show are you going to be in? Do you belong to a theater group? Sounds like fun! Jan

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Sunny! We are doing "James and the Giant Peach". I am not formally affiliated with any particular organization but I have worked with Bread and Circus Theater Company, the producers, previously. They are a semi- pro company. That means that if we make money on a show I get a stipend. I do costume design professionally and designed for all but one of their plays season before last. They are fun folks who will actually let me act too! The best part is that my son is playing the title role of James!

~~Mimi

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

How nice to be acting in play with your son & with him in title role you must be very excited & proud! See if someone can snap a pic or 2 to show us!! Are you sure you are OK in heels! My bro. is walking but does have to rest every so often, we moved some furniture & then he was bushed & had to nap. So don't overdo it!! Should I say "break a leg" don't think I should in your case!LOL Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Wonderful news, Mimi! I'm so glad your surgery went so well along with your recovery. Have fun with the play and may you and your son both break a leg!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner