Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A Tearful Day: Saying Good-bye to Our Golden Retriever

kirkus
13 years ago

We had a terrible snowfall the past few days. Today, we had found Gracie, our 12 year old Golden Retriever, down in the snow unable to move...the snow coming down on her. We were worried when she went outside this morning and didn't return. We took her into the garage where she was listless. Our 10 year old daughter was sobbing, having such a close bond with our dogs.

Worried, we took Gracie to the vet where he said she was dying...he could hardly hear her heartbeat. Making the tough decision to take Gracie out of her pain, we petted her and loved her and talked to her as she left this world. What a hard day. Lots of tears. Marley, our 2 year old Golden, has been beside himself barking. I wish I could explain things to him. Gracie had never been the same since we lost Riley, her uncle, 3 years ago. I'll miss my Gracie Girl. We'll cherish the memories of her life with us.

The picture below shows Gracie on the left and Marley on the right with our daughter.

When we lost Riley, someone on the forum sent me the attached video. So comforting....

{{gwi:126578}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Bridge

Comments (14)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Kirk. Its so hard to lose a precious pet, but the joy of having them is worth the sadness.
    Thanks for the rainbow bridge link. It is comforting tho I cry everytime I look at it.
    Kathy

• shysue
    13 years ago

I know how you are feeling. I've had many dogs in my life, but my "child" dog was a beautiful black lab chow mix that I got from the animal shelter. She was my constant loving companion for 14 years. We had to put her down because she was suffering so. It nearly killed me, but it was the best for her. Losing a pet is so hard, but time will heal. When someone I know looses a pet, I always like to send them the Rainbow Bridge poem in a card.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Gracie has finished her journey with your family, kirk. Gracie had a long, beautiful life ...especially growing up with your daughter. The love of a family is God's greatest gift & He certainly brought Gracie into your life who has been surrounded by love. Hugs to you, your sweet daughter & son & Carol...(that hug includes Marley, too). Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I am so sorry my friend. Our pets become our adopted children and can be as much a part of our family as our human relatives. Gracie was very lucky to be part of your loving, gentle family and I know she led a happy, fulfilled life. Sending tight, loving hugs to all of you!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

OMG -- Kirk --------I was so sad about Anna - I missed this post...I'm so sorry this happened .......

(((Kirk & Carol & kids )))

I just KNOW Anna & Gracie are up there playing together .We had the love of my life - a Goldie named Lady.I got to pick her out of a litter .
    She was 12,too when she passed. You & I had our Goldies long after "their due date" . We're blessed .
    Here's a hug to your heart ((Kirk)) .......

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

So sorry about Gracie. Hold on to the beautiful memories you must have of her. She runs and romps free of pain now.
    LOL to you and your family.

• leveta
    13 years ago

So,so sorry Kirkus...

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

{{gwi:126913}}

with much love to your family, Kirk,
    Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

It's so hard losing a pet but even harder when there are young children in the home. Hope the kids are doing OK, probably still numb. Going to be hard for awhile! Hugs & prayers that the tears will not last too long. Jan

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

So sorry about your loss!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Really sorry about the death of your beautiful dog!

• smickerdoodle
    13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Gracie. I know exactly how you feel. We had to put our Caramel down last fall. She had cancer throughout her body and was in severe pain. We too couldn't bear to see her in pain when there was nothing we could do to make it better for her. I know it is very little comfort, but I think you made the right decision to put her out of her pain. My heart goes out to all of you. Give Olivia lots of hugs. Cody still hurts for the loss of Caramel even though we now have Jaws.

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Dear Kirk,

I am so sorry to hear about Gracie. God works in mysterious ways and I believe it was time for him to call Gracie home. She will be waiting for you when the time comes with her tail wagging and lots of doggy kisses.

Hugs, Chelcass

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Hi Kirk,
    It's been a while.
    We went through this during the summer. I'd heard so often that animals don't go to heaven, and I couldn't figure out why God would give us such wonderful creatures that we love so much, then just say, "No more." So I did my own Bible study on animals in heaven. There are tons of verses, that IN CONTEXT, speak of it. The strongest references that comforted me were in Revelation 5:8-13 where John tells us he heard all creatures recognizing Jesus as the Savior of the world and praising God right along with redeemed men.
    And...
    In Psalm Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

I hope you are comforted.
    Nancy