Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Home made Nativity

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

This is my home painted Nativity. The window hanging behind is from a Church in Oklahoma. I bought it for $20.00 at a yard sale.

{{gwi:128385}}

Comments (7)

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

SusieRose, that is GORGEOUS! You are super creative, and the stained glass is perfect as a background. Quite the find on that item too.
    Would you mind if I put this photo in my Holidays Forum Christmas Inspiration Album?

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Holidays Christmas Inspiration

• akup_a
    15 years ago

This is wonderful! I really like the wall behind the wise men. How did you make it?
    I have a set with some of the same characters that I painted but I couldn't do their faces as good as you did. I had an extra shepherd, like the one in the foreground of your scene, that I painted and mounted on a rod. I stuck him in my Mother-in-law's Tongue plant. What better place for a man begging alms!
    Vickie

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen,

Your Christmas album is WONDERFUL!!! I would be honored if you wanted to add the nativity .

Vickie,

The wall behind the Wisemen was a purchase at a gift shop in Galveston. Of course it was in the damaged bin and on Clearance! The roof of the main stable was straw from my broom. The back wall behind Mary and Joseph is a woven place mat. There is a flicker light to the left side of the stable door. When this is turned on it looks like a camp fire. I ran lights throughout in stategic places that are not visible in this pic. The wall behind the wisemen has stained glass window pane so there was a light put up there. Lights in the stable roof as well.

I want to add that this little GROTTO was set up on my back porch in Houston. A mouse moved in and made a lovely nest in the left corner of the yard. If you'll notice the burlap bag on that side, it is full of cotton. The mouse 'opened' the bag and pulled the cotton out so he could lay comfortably by the live stock. I asked myself, What Would Jesus Do. So I just let him stay there until January.

Susie

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Nicest I have seen in a long time,,,,well except the live one in the fur babies post!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I'll add the photo to the album, thank you. A lot of the inspiration photos in there came from my Holiday Forum gang, and a lot from BHG site and other web places. I love browsing all the pretty things and ideas. I know folks will love seeing your Nativity!
    That is so sweet you let the little mouse stay and have a warm bed for Xmas. I'd have done the same thing, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

What a pretty creche (as our Polish family always referred to Nativity scenes)! I love all the little details. Now if you had painted that mouse white, he could have doubled as a little sheep. he-he How sweet of you to let him reside with Jesus for the holidays!

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Susie~

What a great job! I've painted figures like that also, so I know how painstaking it can be! I love all the extras you have in the scene as well....the water pots, birdcage, etc. Just wonderful!