Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyca_gw

Anyone have hayride memories?

sunnyca_gw
14 years ago

Since Kirk started a 5 & dime memory post I thought I would find out what it is I missed. I was on my way to my 1st hayride, mom had warned me of "black ice" well, there was no snow so I thought road was OK. Then I remembered what she said & I just tapped the brakes-I almost got control but suddenly went other way & hit the ditch. Missed the hayride, then found out it had been canceled. So tell me about your hayrides, funny, freezing or great, romanic!! I'm ready to ride along with ya'll!!What did I miss???? Jan

Comments (8)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Well we do SWAMP buggy rides here in Florida but recently we picked up an oldgolf cart(electric) and used our lawn cart and some of the ducks straw.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Well we do SWAMP buggy rides here in Florida but recently we picked up an oldgolf cart(electric) and used our lawn cart and some of the ducks straw.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Oooohhhh...we had the best time as kids at church on hayrides! We would gather and get up in a big old farm truck with wooden sides that was filled with hay and we would go around the neighborhood singing Christmas carols at the top of our lungs! We nearly froze to death...even with all of the people and hay, but we would all snuggle up together as we went down the road....it was always funny how kids would snuggle up...even to people they normally didn't like...cause they were freezing and it didn't matter who was next to them! Fun times for sure! I'm sure there were a few stolen kisses along the way too!

• akup_a
    14 years ago

Our Church had a hayride. I was so excited about it. i couldn't wait to pile onto a bunch of hay pulled by horses to go carouling. It turned out to be square bales, in an orderly fashion on an open trailer, pulled by a regular 'ol pick-up truck. I was so heart broken. Never had another hay-ride.
    Vickie

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Never had a hay ride. I do remember though before I met Todd that the single brothers at church made a country style sadie hawkins type dinner at a hay a feed store. One of the couples at church owned to feed store. They put hay bales all around in a circle and we ate dinner (cowboy style) then watched a clint eastwood movie. They gave us red rose bandanas to wear. It was a very special night.
    Love, Jules

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I was on a hayride once and remember freezing and being sad because the guy I had a crush on wasn't paying any attention to me.

I remember stacking bales of hay during haying season on my uncle's farm. Fresh bales of hay are heavy! I bet they weighed 50 to 80 pounds a piece. I was able to throw them around like nobody's business. He also let me drive the tractor while it pulled a wagon. I was 11 years old at the time. Wonderful farm experiences for a city girl!

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

When we were first married, we went to my DH's grandparents farm every Thanksgiving for a large family reunion. We always had a long hayride(with loose hay) all around the farm. We usually had about 30 or so people, we added a chair for his GM and GF drove the tractor. We were cautioned not to, but we always had a hay fight, sometimes we would get stuck in the mud and have to unload and push. Those are very good memories.
    Syble

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

As a young teenager (13-14) I went on hayrides at the stable where my 2 horses were boarded. I practically lived at the stables back then, LOL. We lived on the nearby Air Force base.
    Lot of GREAT memories of fun times in my life. But unfortunately, recalling them now makes me sad for some reason. Nostalgia can be bittersweet I guess.

Happy Holidays to all,
    Karen