Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

My Classroom's Poinsettia tree

kirkus
15 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Here is a bulletin board I have had up at Christmas time for the last 25 years in the main lobby of the school in which I teach. You canÂt see it so much in the first picture, but these are 3-D poinsettias my fourth grade students made.

I hang the poinsettias in the shape of a tree. The second picture shows a close-up view of one of the poinsettias. I weave in white lights to enhance the overall effect. The kids love it! ENJOY!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:128509}}

{{gwi:128510}}

Comments (17)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Kirk, that's wonderful! I love that you wove the lights through it! Very clever and thoughtful of you to display the students' work like that. I'm sure it makes them very proud to see their work hung so attractively!

~Sandy~

• leveta
    15 years ago

Kirk you are the kind of teacher all kids need now a days. Even around here as small a town as this is, they take the fun of christmas out of the schools.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

That is so wonderful. I am glad to know that there are still teachers out there who do the kind of projects that inspire kids. Is there any way I could get the instructions for making the poinsettias? I homeschool my son and I think he would enjoy making something like that. Micki

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Oh that's so neat! Lucky kids who get to be in your class! ~tenderlee

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! Chrismas still exists in your town!! Love it!! Yes, we would like the pattern, my grandkids would love making those!!!Out shopping this week not a Christmas song was heard & only decoration was a tree in Mexican Dept. store window. otherwise I saw small wreaths on bars hanging out over street in 1 town & little bit of garland wrapped around them in another. No fun to shop without the Christmas music to get you in spirit of things, clerks for most part don't ever speak(of course, couldn't understand them if they did all from another country) I used to go in stores & they smelled so good from spices- antique store sold a "Cranberry-cinnamon spice" that was potpouri & they had dried cranberries & the spiced cinnamon teabags. Now with allergies don't even get to smell that , or that awful fake pine smell came in a can when fake trees came out so you could make it smell (fake)!!!LOL Some things better gone!!! Don't miss that 1 at all. Well, better bake my choc. crinkles!! Jan

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Kirk,

'You' are the only argument I can think of to advocate cloning. Everytime there is a great human being that becomes a teacher, they need to be cloned.

Oh, and the poinsettia's are exquisite too. But it is the kind soul behind the project that I see most clearly.

Yoo-hoo-ooo, Mrs. Bear Hugs-s-s-s!! Give Kirk a special hug from all of the mommies of his students. Some of them do not know how blessed their children are when they get a good teacher.

Susie

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Kirk - Thanks for sharing this wonderful class project! It's always so great to see kids work together with these hands-on projects...probably exaspirating for you at times but well-worth the effort! (hopefully you get parent help or an aide at times!)

You know I'm partial to "good teachers" as I have a son and daughter who both teacher elementary, one near here and one across the state....so knowing you thru GJer's and reading about your teaching on this site.. makes you near and dear to my heart. Keep up the great work!

Here's Brian's webpage if you're near a high-speed hook-up sometime. Due to the tornado destroying the high school, the 2 towns are sharing an elem. bldg. with moved-in portable bldgs so he's moved his classroom this yr...you know how teachers "go with the flow." Just click on "staff" and then "Brian."

Happy HOlidays to you and your 4th grade class! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian's webpage

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I wish you were my teacher when I was young . Of course I'd be your "pet" ~~ ROFL

In every grade I was in , I was charge of decorating the bulletin boards and the hallways . I was in heaven . I felt so important. That memory stayed with me - my self esteem was built on it.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

That is a wonderful tree, Kirk! What a neat idea to make it out of the poinsettas. I really like the lights on it, cool idea! You are a blessing to your students to care so much about them and especially to love your job. God Bless you and Carol!
    -Sherri

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Well, looks like miss susiewantsroses took the words right out of my head. Or at least I wish I had them in my head, cause she sure said it well Mr Kirk.
    You are an AMAZING man, husband, father, teacher, and friend.....
    yep, cloning would be good in your case.

hugs, Karen

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Its beautiful Kirk!
    kathy

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Kirk,
    I agree you are wonderful teacher to think of a project like this and display their work so nicely. I am going back to school to become a teacher. Helping with a third grade class right now that I adore. I bet you have tons of great ideas for kids. So how did they do the poinsettas?They look like oragami (opps spelling)
    Mindy

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhh...thank you everyone for your kind words. I love kids and my job. I love to be creative too...so I can combine everything into the perfect career. I've been at it for 25 years and still loving it... When I have the time, I'll post other photos...I have a 3-D rainforest tree in one corner, a reading corner with a bear mural as a divider with a couch, chair and huge bookshelves...and of course grizzly bears everywhere!

How to make the flower... hmmmmm... I just kind of experimented with it and came up with the idea... I'll try to explain it...wish I had time to take individual step-by-step pictures.

You need 12 red and 4 green pieces of paper, cut to the size of a standard recipe (index) card. Once cut, lay the paper out in front of you with the short side of the paper facing you. Bring the top left and right corners in like you're doing a paper airplane but overlap just a bit. Do not crease...just kind of roll it in. Glue.

Cut a 4 inch cardboard circle. Glue the 4 green "leaves" on the north, south, west, and east parts of the circle...as close to the edge as you can. Then, glue 4 red "petals" on the northwest, northeast, southwest, and southeast parts of the circle between the green leaves as close to the edge as you can.

Now glue 4 red petals a bit in but above the green leaves. Do the same with 4 red petals in a bit above the first red petals you glued down. Cut a red circular shape to glue in the center to cover things. Add yellow punch hole dots. I like them better without glitter but kids love glitter! LOL (Our custodians frown on glitter! LOL)

Hope these directions were clear. Looking at the picture while you make one might help. I made a HUGE one once as a kind of wreath...60 leaves and petals on a pizza cardboard circle. I thought I should try one with felt... ENJOY! Merry Christmas! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here's the class mural I talked about, done by students with guidance. It's about 8 feet by 6 feet. (HUGE! LOL):

{{gwi:128511}}

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Wonderful wonderful. I love that you and your kids did the poinettia tree. Very pretty. They take a lot of pride when they see their work on display for all to see. Love that you involve the kids in creative ways. The bear is awesome.

Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Totally understand your directions even without looking at the pic. Maybe you should write a how to book! You are a teacher for sure!
    kathy

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

THank you for the directions Kirk. You are such a special person. Your students are so lucky to have you.

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

That is just beautiful! What a wonderful project. Your classroom sounds just amazing...just like you(-: I bet everyone wants to be in your class(-:

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!