Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akup_a

good gene, bad gene

akup_a
15 years ago

You know how, you can look like another member of your family? And sometimes that's good & sometimes that's bad? Welllll, yesterday, when I was getting ready for work, I looked in the mirror and saw a family member! Yup! & she's the first picture in "our" family album. I'm not sure where that gene came from.

Vickie

Comments (6)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Vickie,

Be very aware that the "Old Woman" who moved in over here plays all kinds of tricks and pranks with mirrors. The other day when I stepped out of the shower she was actually standing in my mirror showing her droopy 'back side'!!!!! I said "that's disgusting and now you've gone too far". Her illusions are clever and only designed to tease us. Ignore it!

At least she chose a "familiar" face to imitate for you Vickie. I dont reccognise whose 'back side' that was but it's wasn't mine. Nope.

Susie

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

You don't always need a mirror to see her either.

Why, the other day, I looked down at my hands...and they had been replaced with hands just like my grandmother's!

~Sandy~

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Yep.. used to look a little like dad... but more and more like my mom. Dad didn't wrinkle as much as mom!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I received a poem in ths vein! No author given tho! RockAway Rest Home Christmas "Twas the night before Christmas at Rock-Away Rest,and all of us seniors were looking our best. Our glasses how sparkly,our winkles,how merry;Our punch bowl held prune juice plus 3 drops of sherry. A bedsock was taped to each walker,in hopes that Santa would bring us soft candy & soap. We surely were lucky to be there with friends, secure in this residence & our Depends. Our grandkids had sent us some Christmasy crafts, like angels in snowsuits & penguins on rafts. The dental assistant had borrowed our teeth,and from them she'd crafted a wreath. The bed pans so shiny, still all in a row, reflecting our candles magnificent glow. Our supper so festive-the joy wouldn't stop...it was creamy warm oatmeal with sprinkles on top. Our salad was Jello so jiggly & great, then puree of fruitcake was spooned on each plate. The social director then had us play games, like "Where are you living?" & "What are your names?" Old Grandfather Looper was feeling his oats,proclaiming that reindeer are nothing but goats. Our resident wand'er was tied to her chair in hopes that at bedtime she would still be there. Security lights on the new fallen snow made outdoors seem noon to the old folks below. Then out on the porch there arose quite a clatter (but we were so deaf that it just didn't matter). A strange little fellow flew in through the door, he tripped on the sill & fell flat on the floor. 'Twas just our director,all togged out in red. He jiggled & chuckled & patted each head. We knew from the way he strutted & jived, our social security checks had just arrived. We sang-how we sang- in our monotone crock,till the clock tingled out its soft 8 o'clock stroke. And soon we were snuggling deep in our beds, while nurses distributed nocturnal meds. And so ends our Christmas at Rock-a Way- Rest 'Fore long you'll be with us. We wish you the best! Then she writes "Want to share a room?" So hope you enjoy this & fact that the Old Woman is in your mirror & not in here!! Happy New Year! Jan

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

OMG...this is a hoot!!

I love what you wrote at the end. We certainly do need to be thankful!! I much prefer to deal with the pranks of the Old Woman and Old Man than have to eat puree of fruitcake!! YUCK! LOL

Thanks for sharing this, Jan...it's great!

~Sandy~

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

LOL! LOLsomemore! LOLagain!!!!!!!!!

Great story Jan!!!!

I use to go to a nursing home every Wednesday for a Church thing. Your story gave me mental visuals of all of my elder friends. Going there helped me to learn that even though growing older is not easy and many times there is disease, it is still where we are all headed.

I used to dress my little grandbabylove (at ages 4 & 5 at the time) in a cowgirl costume and take her to sing. I also took her in a ballet costume to dance. She called them the "Grandmas and Grandpas". She is not afraid of older folks at all now. I think we should expose our children and ourselves to the care facilities so that we are not afraid of the unknown. And let's laugh at ourselves as we travel through each phase of this life.

When I was a teenager,my Mom took care of her parents, after grandmother was crippled by a stroke. She did not have any training as a gereatric nurse and she unhappily struggled for years. She did not reccognise dementia symptoms and was always angry with her Dad. There was no BINGO, Church services, arts/crafts, peer group, or general medical attention. I have instructed my children to put me in a care facility where there is a cook, a laundry washer, a nurse, a bed pan emptier ect and NO TEENAGERS!!! LOL. My mom tried to do it all and she just could not do it with a possitive attitude. Not all of our children are capable of being 24 hour nurses for us. I truly insist on going to a home. I'm already planning how I will decorate my room there. LOL

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting