Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

Favorite holiday recipes anyone?

nmgirl
15 years ago

Since we had a GJ Thanksgiving recipe collection, are we game to have a Winter Holidays one also? Christmas, Channukah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, etc? Should we keep New Year's as a separate topic?

Comments (21)

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Being Scandinavian, our big celebration is at our house on Christmas Eve. For the past...I don't know how many years...I have made this punch. It is a huge hit with both the adults and the grand-kids. You can float a decorative ice ring in it, but it goes so fast around here, I've never had to do that. It doesn't get a chance to get warm here!

I've tried many different recipes for punch, but this is by far the most popular with our big family.

CRANBERRY ALMOND PUNCH (Great for Christmas!)

1 bottle (46 oz.) cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
    1 can (48 oz.) pineapple juice, chilled
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tbsp. pure almond extract
    1 bottle (2 liters) ginger ale, chilled

Combine all ingredients in punchbowl.

If not serving immediately, combine first 4 ingredients and chill. Add chilled ginger ale right before serving.

I do another punch bowl with eggnog and float a frozen ring of eggnog in it to keep it cold. A bottle of rum and a shaker of nutmeg...and we're good to go!

~Sandy~

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Sandy,

I think I am passing by your house on Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!

And I'll be thirsty. LOL

Sounds like a wonderful punch. I'm gonna try it! I'll put a tag on it that says "Sandy's Scandinavian Punch".

Thank you,
    susie

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Yum Sandy, I don't think I've ever had any punch like that, and intend to make a batch during the holidays!

NMgirl, thanks for this thread, I love cooking and will be watching for all the recipes our wonderful cooks offer! I'll try to add a couple of my favorites too. I make Fruit Cake Cookies every year, and they're a big hit, even with people who don't like fruit cake. Will try to post it soon. ~tenderlee

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I gotta try the punch cuz' I just love (almost) anything cranberry or almond.
    I'm trying to decide which of my recipes to post............

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I finally started my xmas cookies & candy. I made 2 batches of English Toffee today, it is so easy. The trick is it can't be real humid or raining. So if weather is nice take a heavy 4 qt pan(I use my pressure cooker bottom)And put 1 c white sugar, 1 c butter (the real stuff no subs) 3 tbls. water in the pot. Turn it on high stirring with long wooden spoon until it comes to a boil & then turn it down to medium so it still bubbles slowly, keep stirring about 10-12 min. & you will see it turn amber colored, you want it to have a great flavor so just as it gets slightly brownish take it off heat & add 1/4 cut fine chopped pecans, pour out on buttered 9x12 glass pan it won't cover bottom in the corners, just spread around to make a big plate like glob LOL Take some semisweet choc chips about 1/2 cup & sprinkle around with your hand- let melt about 2 min, spread gently with back of metal spoon. Add another 1/4 cup crushed pecan all over. Find cool place to let it cool or just leave it cool there then cover with foil & refrigerate an hr. & remove & break up in irregular pieces. OK I always dumped it out on a buttered older than the hills platter made out of melamine but it cracked so only thing I can think of is to put it in my 9x12 glass cake pan 9x9 pan it would be too thick. MY broken 1 was 11 by 8 so you get the idea. Now you can wreck it if you poured the hot candy on foil as it keeps cooking & gets dark- not good. Plastic wrap might work if you butter it but I deceided on the glass pan. When it is cold you just take a knife & pry up edge & break apart in pieces. Very easy , this is not as hard a candy as a brittle & easy on your teeth!!if you have never made candy,looks great & tastes great.I have to make 2 batches as it goes fast! I give neighbors,folks & friends candy & cookies each yr. Used to have to make up 25 plates, now about 8-10 each yr.Got my fudge made & brownies to send my DS. Divinity is tomorrow,I just use receipe in the old Better Homes & Garden cookbook,looseleaf 1962 edition. Good Luck!! Jan OH, store in refrigerator, in a freezer ziploc bag inside a 2nd ziploc bag, just to keep it from picking up any off flavors! Good about a mo. or can freeze for several.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Poinsettia Cookies

2 cups butter softened, or margarine

2 cups sifted powdered sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vailla extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup flaked coconut

1 cup butterscotch morsels. divided

sugar

1 (4-ounce) container red candied cherries, cut into wedges

Directions

beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar; beating well. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.

Combine flour and salt; add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in flaked coconut and 3/4 cup butterscotch morsels. cover and chill at least 8 hours.

shape dough int 1-inch balls place on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip a flat-bottomed glass in sugar, and flatten each ball to a 2-inch circle. Place a butterscotch morsel in the center of each cookie. Arrange 5 cherry wedges in a circular pattern around each butterscotch morsel to resemble a poinsettia. Bake at 350 degree for 9 to 10 minutes. cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks and let cool completely. Yield 5 dozen

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE-OATMEAL COOKIES

1/4 c. butter
    4 tbsp. cocoa
    2 c. sugar
    3 c. oats
    1/2 c. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together all ingredients except oats and vanilla. Let boil for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and oats. Mix rapidly and drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Let cool.
    *we always use evaporated milk(canned milk)
    *I first learned to make these in Girl Scouts YEARS ago*

From an old recipe book of the Godchaux Sugar Refinery, an old company in New Orleans, Louisiana, printed approximately 1879

Old-Fashioned Pecan Pralines

3 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups water
    3 cups chopped or halved pecans
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In a large, heavy pot combine sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. When sugar is dissolved, add pecans. Reduce heat and gently simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Cook for "about 15 to 20 minutes, until the mixture grains when metal spoon is rubbed against side of pot" (direct quote from original copy). Remove from heat.
    2. Add butter and vanilla. Beat mixture with wooden spoon until it appears to granulate and adhere to the spoon. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or foil. Cool completely.

Note: This is what pralines really tasted like in the 1800's. Most of today's pralines have milk in the recipe and are not authentic in taste. If candy does not set, return to pot and cook longer. If is hardens before you can drop it, add a little more water and bring to a simmer.

*NOTE..we always make ours with evaporated milk(canned milk)
    it comes out much creamier and I personally like it better. Also, if you want to make it like they did way back when, after you butter your waxed paper, sprinkle a small amount of salt on the waxed paper. I learned to make this from a woman who sold them, and I got a recipe from her when I was in about the 6th grade. The more white sugar, the lighter color the pralines are. And I use light brown sugar, not dark brown. And always pecan halves.*
    ANOTHER IDEA...make these, and chop them up to give as ice cream toppers, or to top pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie, or your candied sweet potatoes...just about anything that it would make taste better*

Here is a link to a Divinity recipe.....take her advice!! You CAN NOT make this in high humidity or when it's raining!!! I have ruined dozens of egg whites...and do not over cook your syrup..otherwise it pours out and hardens at the same time like lollipop syrup! So follow directions exactly.
    Always make sure there isn't a speck of oils or grease on your beaters or bowls. Have the foil or waxed paper ready. I butter the waxed paper.
    I like to press a half a pecan onto the top of mine. Some will top with a candied cherry. Some will mix in chopped pecans when candy is almost finished. It should be light and fluffy (if you ever used a joint compound to float sheetrock, it looks like that, lol) Spoon onto waxed paper quickly. Or you can pour it into a pan like brownies.

It sounds like a lot of rules to this, but trust me, this is AWESOME, and just like they made back in the day!

If anyone has a really good recipe for peanut butter cookies..that come out buttery and thin and crisp.....I lost my recipe years ago, and have tried dozens of recipes and none are right..:( so sad.
    TIA!
    Cherry/Kudzu

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pfeffernusse (Peppernuts)
    These tiny, hard, not-too-sweet cookies keep well in a covered container.

3/4 cup sugar
    2/3 cup dark corn syrup
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup lard

1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1 tsp. anise extract
    1/4 tsp. cardamom
    1/4 tsp. finely ground pepper, I use white
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. salt

5 cups all-purpose flour

1. Combine sugar, corn syrup, milk & lard in a saucepan; heat to boiling. Cool.
    2. Stir in remaining ingredients except flour.
    3. Mix in enough flour to make a VERY stiff dough, kneading in the last addition. Chill dough.
    4. Preheat oven to 375. On a surface lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar, shape dough in 1/4 inch thick ropes; cut each roll in 1/2 inch pieces.
    5. Bake on a cookie sheet 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on sheet 1-2 minutes before removing. Makes 6 cups.

*******************************************************************************

Pecan Chocolate Crumb Bars

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
    1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups (12 oz.) dark chocolate morsels
    1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9 baking pan.

1. Cream butter in large mixing bowl. Beat in flour, sugar, salt until crumbly. With floured fingers press 2 cups of crumb mixture onto bottom of baking pan; reserve remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 10-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
    2. Combine sweetened condensed milk & 1 cup chocolate morsels in a small heavy saucepan. Warm over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract. Spread over hot crust.
    3.Stir nuts and remaining morsels into reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over chocolate filling.
    4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until center is just set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.

*******************************************************************************

Harvest Loaf
    This has been a family favorite since I was a young'un. And that's been awhile.

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup cooked plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.

3/4 cup chocolate morsels
    3/4 cup chopped pecans

1. In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients, except sugar, chocolate and nuts, together. Set aside.
    2. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, then pumpkin.
    3. Stir in dry ingredients( flour mixture).
    4. Stir in chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup of the chopped nuts. Reserve remaining 1/4 cup nuts.
    5. Turn into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake for 65-75 min. Cool and glaze with spice glaze (recipe follows). Allow loaf to stand at least 6 hours before slicing/serving.

Spice Glaze
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. cinnamon
    1-2 Tbl. milk or water

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in enough liquid to make a thick glaze. Drizzle over cooled loaf.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

OMGosh, now I am hungry! Thanks for sharing everyone.

Capecodr, I must try your punch...sounds so good...I usually make a batch at Christmas.

Here's my Grandma Obbie's recipe for ice cream pie (I shared about her on another post)...and we always loved this recipe...she was the greatest cook & spoiled us grandkids rotten! Loved the pie and very easy!

ICE CREAM PIE
    1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1 C milk
    2 C vanilla ice cream

Mix well, pour in graham cracker crust pie, sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate until serving.

Thanks for all the recipes, GJer's & Happy Cooking, everyone! Jeanne S.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh...I'm so glad to see recipes being posted. Some good sounding ones too!

I have to try the ice cream pie now. It's easy! I'll be trying other ones too. DH loves pralines!

I have so many great recipes, I really need to post more too.

~Sandy~

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

My never fail holiday recipe. Sit at a table. Eat what shows up. Linda

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

This is for all you folks in cold snowy states!! Makes about 16 cups can be doubled or halved. It keeps well in fridge for about a week & is great Christmas Eve & if you have a cold!! All those juices great for sore throats! Hot Russian Tea 8 c boiling water add 5 tea bags(I use Lipton decaf) In 1 qt pan put 2 c water 1 1/2 c sugar 2-4inch cinnamon sticks boil this mixture for 5 min. this can be done earlier in the day. Remove tea bags & cinnamon sticks & throw out & put the 2 mixtures in a 16-20 c pot and add juice from 4 oranges (or 2 c juice) juice of 2 lemons (or about 2/3 to 3/4 c juice) 2 1/2 c pineapple juice (I use Dole in the can) Simmer & make the house smell good!!!When hot add 16 maraschino cherries, serve hot in mugs with cherry in each. Enjoy!! Jan

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

First of all SUPER KUDOS to all who can make homemade candy! That is a great accomplishment.

Ya,ll I've been lazy this year but discovered a great cookie that is super quick.

Lazy Susie Faux Gormet Cookies

Chop pecans or walnuts and mix with whole grain oats in a cereal bowl.
    Take any brand of cold sugar cookie dough from the grocery store.
    Scoop large teaspoons of dough, mash one at a time into the nut/oat mixture in cereal bowl on both sides.
    Put on ungreased cookie sheet
    Top with chipped up Mirshino (sp?) cherries
    Bake according to the instructions on Sugar Cookie dough package. I've also used refrigerated peanut butter dough.
    The cookies look like fancy bakery treats. This would be great for children helpers. No messey flour all over the counters and clothes.
    This entire process takes about 20 minutes!

Susie

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Laughing at Linda!

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Oh, sunnyca, I think your tea/juice/etc. recipe will come in very handy this winter season! I dislike tea...but I think I will give this a try...sounds very "warming." I s'pose you just go outside and pick your lemons & oranges (that's jealousy talkin')...have got some decent "clementines" at the grocery lately..otherwise, ugh! Thanks for sharing for us winter folks! The wind is gusting 30 mph & it's about 15 degrees...and we're expecting about 2" of the white stuff today!
    Happy Holidays! Jeanne S.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago
  • sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Jeanne, You don't taste the tea! It's true I go out & pick the fruit off the trees! But 1 yr I made it with reconstituted OJ & bought lemons as the lemonade doesn't taste right to me. My GF in Wis called 1 winter day to tell me she couldn't find the receipe & she needed it fast- she sounded awful. She said it was so soothing to sip & the smell really picked up her spirits. OH, I use decaf Lipton tea as I don't want to make kids hyper on caffine & I don't want to be kept awake. You want to sleep off your cold not be wide awake & miserable!! You can leave cherries out if you want. Get good brand where they have great taste, if you use them , save the liquid, makes prettiest icing for shaped cookies to use it for liquid instead of milk or water & gives it cherry flavor. And the pink color is nice, not overdone!!(discovered when I ran out of milk one day) Sounds cold there, we are going to have at least 80 degrees today!! Will try to get divinity made, last 3 yrs has gotten humid around this time of yr so I end up making 3-4 kinds of candy in 1 day before weather changes or fog rolls in like it did wed. Merry Christmas everybody!! Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention I give my neighbors & parents Qt. jar of this for a gift or pint jar if you wish with note to warm a mug full in microwave. Decorate the jar with raffia bow , be sure to tell them to refrigerate & use in about a week! Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

KUdzu, This is my Peanut Butter cookie receipe I've used & mom uses. I think if you make them thinner than I do you might have it. I like them as not floury tasting. I use Laura Scudder's natural no salt peanut butter. I don't like a lot of other stuff in my p.b.(sugar, salt etc) Best Peanut Butter Cookies-1/2c butter,1/2 c Crisco shortening ,1c peanut butter, 1 c sugar, 1 c light brown sugar,2eggs,1 tsp. baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2c flour. Mix 1st 5 ing. well add eggsmix well, add rest, mix well. Lightly grease cookie sheets. 375 degree oven I roll in small walnut sized balls & flatten with a forkin criss cross pattern but you can flatten out thinner. Bake about 10=12 min or less if flatter. Good Luck, If you give as gifts wrap well in plastic wrap if going on tray of other goodies so the pb doesn't make rest taste like p.b. These freeze well. I use 3 lb metal coffee cans I guess you can't get anymore. Anything with tight lid will do. Keep in freezer for up to a yr. I think it makes 5 doz. Can't read it anymore!! Rich p.b. flavor!! Jan

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I'm sorry Jan!! LOl...ya'll have to forgive me, I've been spacey and drugged up for months, I lose track right in the middle of typing. I've woken to find open windows on my computer with notes I've been typing, and don't even remember talking to them *sigh*
    But......I'm going to put the recipe for Poinsettia Cookies here again....these are just delicious, everyone loves these, and they smell great. Oh, Jan....I use the cherries in the jar, too! They taste much better :D I just lay them on paper towels to drain, and I cut them with scissors, really easier that way. They look very elegant, and make great gifts.
    Poinsettia Cookies Ingredients
    2 c Butter or margarine; 1 c Shredded coconut
    2 Eggs 1 c Butterscotch chips
    1 ts Vanilla extract Granulated sugar
    3 c Flour 1/2 c Candied red cherries; cut in
    1 ts Salt
    Cream confectioners sugar and butter; add eggs and extracts. Sift together flour and salt; stir into butter mixture. Stir in coconut and 3/4 C of the butterscotch chips. Chill dough until firm. Roll into 1" balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten cookie with the bottom of glass dipped in granulated sugar. Place butterscotch chip in the center of cookie. Place cherry wedges in a circle to resemble a poinsettia. Bake at 375F for about 12 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

I also see I forgot to add the Divinity recipe! Here is the site I got the best recipe from.
    http://www.angelabetts.com/blog/2007/05/22/divinity-candy-recipe/

DIVINITY CANDY

3 cups sugar
    cup light corn syrup
    ½ cup water
    2 egg whites
    1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla, whichever you prefer)
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Place sugar, corn syrup, and water in heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat to hard ball stage (248° to 250°F). Remove from heat and let stand until temperature drops to 220°F, without stirring.

Place egg whites in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to Speed 8 and whip about 1 minute, or until soft peaks form. Gradually add syrup in a fine stream and whip about 2 ½ minutes longer.

Turn to Speed 4. Add almond extract and whip 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture starts to become dry. Turn to Stir Speed and add walnuts, mixing just until blended.

Drop mixture from measuring tablespoon onto waxed paper or greased baking sheet to form patties.

Yield: 20 servings (2 pieces per serving)

Per serving: About 192 cal, 2 g pro, 40 g carb, 4 g fat, 0 mg chol, 15 mg sod.

The punch recipe sounds great, and I need a recipe! So funny because I just found another punch bowl! Not one for a birdbath either!

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

oh and thanks for the peanut butter cookie recipe! I'll try it for sure! I always use butter flavor Crisco with cookies...I love whoever invented that stuff :D Sure makes the M&M cookies so much better! And peanut butter cookies :D

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Kudzu's poinsetta cookies are delicious & pretty with the cut cherries & butterscotch piece on top!! Dough is very soft so you do have to allow several hrs to chill so allow for that. I had planned to make them yesterday & I was so tired, so glad when I saw they needed chilling. Got my son's box nearly ready to go so that will happen tomorrow!!Jan