Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealant

Posted by puggranny Zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 0:14

I use GE Sealant been buying in small tube but getting expensive. I want to buy the big tube that is used in a caulk gun however my husband keeps telling me I have to use it up within a few days or it will go bad. My question is there a way to keep it from going bad. Or is it better just to use the small tubes if I do not plan to make alot of stuff at one time. Thanks for the answers!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealant

Do you mean GE silicone caulk? I use GE II silicone caulk for almost all of my yard art and buy the caulk gun size tubes. If you keep it sealed well and buy a tube with the furtherest away expiration date that you can find, it will last for quite awhile.
I use a screw to seal the end of the tube, I find it easier to remove if the caulk "grabs". If I'm not going to use it for awhile I put it in a ziplock or other plastic bag to minimize air exposure. I also relieve the caulk gun pressure when storing it and try to keep it away from extreme temperatures.
If you use much of the stuff those little tubes get expensive and in some ways the caulk gun is easier to use. At least for me.

o

I also use the big tubes of GE Silicone II and mine last a long time...as much as a year. Make sure to look at the expiration date on the tube before you buy it.

o

Thank you for the info

o

nmgirl, I was going to write that.

o

Pugrany, very good question. Thank you, I too needed to know that. Thank you all
Carmen

o
gesilicon ii

Pugrany, very good question. Thank you, I too needed to know that. Thank you all
Carmen

o

Like Marlene said it last a long time. After I open it, it will last a couple of months. I just leave a little dripping out and then pull it out when I'm ready to use it.
Frou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here