Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

Fairy Houses

becky_ia
14 years ago

Just looked at the $500 ebay fairy house! WOW! But not wanting to make something THAT elaborate!

Has anyone ever done a mosaic on a fairy house?Â

I have been asked to give a presentation for a Master Gardener workshop the end of February. I want to do something different and one of the hottest new garden trends is to create your own fairy garden...a tiny minature garden. Of course, it is January in Iowa so I can't show one outside right now (mine is under about a foot of snow), but can create a small hypertufa container garden filled with fairy things. Thinking to use tiny birdhouses and turn them into fairy houses. So they need to look "forestry". Like...covering them with polished stones or twigs and covering the roof with evergreen mosses.  Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

becky

Comments (16)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I do believe I saw the one you were talking about on eBay - Ice Queen Fairy House that was selling for $565 when I looked at it. It's beautiful but not $565 worth!

I haven't made any fairy houses yet but I'd mosaic the walls with stones and make a thatched roof with moss.

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

Becky - I've not mosaiced them before, but I have made lots of fairy houses and container fairy gardens. You can check out my photos at the link listed below. If you scroll down the left hand side there is a set called "fairy houses and gardens". They are tons of fun and you can use any container!
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Arlene's photos

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

OK, I admit I am directionally challenged, the sets are listed on the right hand side, not the left! Yikes, I think I'll go back to bed for awhile!
    Arlene

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Here's a few of the ones I've made. I hope the thumbnails work.

{{gwi:129314}} {{gwi:129316}} {{gwi:129317}} {{gwi:129318}}

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Love all your fairy houses Arlene, you've made a lot of them, enjoyed your garden pics too! Nice fairy houses nmgirl! Jan

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your help. Wonderful fairy houses Arlene & nmgirl. This was just the help I knew I would find here! I also image goggled fairy houses and was amazed at all the pictures...thousands!

I started a couple and will post pictures when finished. I think this may be addicting!

becky

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

nmgirl has been an inspiration to me, I love her houses. Once I got started I haven't looked back! Have fun with it and be sure to post some pictures!
    Arlene

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

One of you ladies should write an article for a garden magazine about fairy houses and gardens!
    Kathy

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I tried my hand at making some houses to put in my mini fairy garden I will be making for a workshop in a couple of weeks.

This was a fun project. Now I just have to find some little fairy figurines. Any suggestions anyone?

becky
    {{gwi:129319}}

• coppertop367
    14 years ago

Beautiful fairy houses!!! Will the moss that you have on them dry up and turn brown? or have you sprayed it with something??

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

They look great Becky - the stone work is awesome!

I usually get fairies from miniature-gardens.com

They are out of the ones I normally get - backordered overseas I've been told, but they do have other small ones right now.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Miniature Gardens link

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think the moss will turn brown as the package said it was "evergreen moss". We'll see....I've had it for several years but in a bag.

becky

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Great job and nice stone work! I especially like the double chimneys on the one. Neat idea. Makes you wonder if there's two fire places or is it a "duplex"?
    Re: Fairies
    Personally I never "use" them. To me it removes some of the intrigue of the wee houses. I like the idea that the inhabitant(s) have just stepped out and we're getting a quick glimpse of their world.
    But that's just me. You do what makes you happy with your creation!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

becky...I think these fairy houses look GREAT! Like the natural-ness of rock, mortar, moss. Looks like lots of work! Have fun with your class!

The closest I've come to the small gardening is the "enamel pan" ones some have done here. Looking forward to Spring to see if perennials in it made it thru the winter (outside on baker's rack near the house...so a bit protected weather).

Have fun! I'm sure you're lookin' forward to Spring, too! Schools closed again today...lots of snow! TFS! Jeanne S.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like your idea nmgirl of no fairies either...if I can't find one to display I will just say they are all inside their houses! My grandson tried to open the door of the one and I told him "STOP"! Fairies don't like BIG people looking into their houses! What a funny expression he made!

jeannespines, I too am SO ready for spring. My husband works for the county and left before 5 this morning. Wind is suppose to blow all day and plug every road they opened yesterday. No school here today either. Oh well, I made it to work...I never have a snow day!

When I get the entire mini garden all put together, I'll post again.

Becky

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Becky, your fairy houses turned out great! You did a wonderful job with the stone work and I really like the very green moss. I hope it stays looking that great!

nmgirl, I love yours too. If I were a fairy, I'd shack up in one!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm