Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

mixing cement HELP!!!

Purplemoon
17 years ago

Last year I bought about a dozen molds to make my own stepping stones. I need to know if there's an "easy" way to mix the cement. I mixed up two batches today, in a bucket, poured three molds. However it about did me in since I have fibromyalgia. My rgt arm, shoulders, and back are on warpath. I stir the cement and water mix with a very large metal kitchen spoon, but the weight of stirring this mix may be more than I'm physically able to do. Is there any thing I can use to mix it? Doubt a kitchen hand mixer could handle cement
Since this is a very small hobby interest, buying one of those portable mixers is out of the question. I'm just trying to making the stones for myself and maybe for a few others.

Karen

Comments (30)

• texaswild
    17 years ago

'Morning, PURPLE: When my H.M. and I poured the Quickcrete between the tubes for my garden column, I bought a large mixer to put on my heavy-duty drill and a five-gal. bucket from Lowes. Worked just fine. He did it - I just held the hose and added water as needed. The column took a little over three large bags of Quickcrete. No way w/I attempt to mix by hand. Way too heavy.

• cait1
    17 years ago

Slow's right, they sell large mixers for the big drills and that may be easier for you. Though the big drill weights a ton if you ask me - I have one and you should see me try to work it! Comical!! And you are right, mixing cement is hard work!! I know!!
    Are you using aggregate in the mix? That would make it very heavy and it's MUCH MUCH easier to mix cement without it. You do not need the aggregate if you're making stepping stones. What I did was pour some cement mix sans aggragate into the mold, put a piece of reinforcement mesh on top of that cement, then poured the rest of the cement over the mesh. I had to use the aggregate for the cement for the Circle Garden I just did and it was HELL I tell you! I will not use it again and take my chances.
    Hope these suggestions from me and Slow help.
    Cait

• curbdiver1954
    17 years ago

I have a little contramption called an "Odd Job" mixer. Sorta like a small plastic barrel with ribbed sides. All you do is put in the ingredients and roll it around to mix! MUCH easier for me since "Uncle Arthur" has taken up residence in my hands and low back. Here's their email...couldn't find a website:

realgoods@well.sf.ca.us (phone 707-468-9292)

HTH,
    Pat

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

stirring would definitely be terrible, at the very least you'd be better off mixing in a wheelbarrow with a long handle hoe.

• mommyandme
    17 years ago

Purplemoon: Thanks for asking. I, too have been diagnosed with the dreaded fibromyalgia & I understand the level of pain you are talking about. I, too, have molds in the basement, which I bought a year ago, before the fibromyalgia & I have been reluctant to start the project. I have 2 daughters who say they will help, but I've been holding back. Now I know - plain cement, no aggregate & make sure I have helpers available. Hope you feel better soon !

• neetsiepie
    17 years ago

The aggregate isn't going to make that much difference. Try mixing up smaller batches at a time. Use half the bag of mix, that should be more than sufficient to fill one stone mold. You might need to experiment how much you need for one stone at a time, then measure out that amount and do it in small batches.

DH uses the paddle and drill method when he only has to make up something small. He's got a big mixer that he uses for production use, and if you have mobility issues, you don't want to mess with a mixer at all.

The roller is a good idea, you don't have to hold the drill. But I think the best suggestion is just do it in tiny batches at a time.

I used 2 bags of quickcrete to make 3 16"X2" stones. If you're using the 12" molds, I'd think less than 1/2 a bag per stone would be more than sufficient, and it'd be about the amount like mixing up brownie mix.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

the hypertufa forum seems to have some info on mixers etc..
    I'm thinking of curbdiver's oddjob thingy

Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: hypertufa mixers

• kacram
    17 years ago

I would think that a wheel barrow and a hoe would be a LOT easier than mixing in a bucket with a spoon!

• cait1
    17 years ago

I've been thinking about this post since I wrote. nmgirl, thanks for the rundown on terminology - I tend to just call it a cement mix though I know what I make is actually a mortar mix but for some reason I don't ever use that term.

Some time back I posted on how I make my mix and offered a step by step. This is a pic of the mix I made for under a trellis:

{{gwi:129413}}

This is not my usual mix and I've tried out a few different ways to make it. Mostly I use a 1 part cement to 5 parts soft sand. I experimented with this for a stepping stone and that's the one I added the reinforcement mesh to and it's holding up just fine.
    For the Circle Garden mix I added the aggregate and it took a lot more strength to mix it. I also only used the sharp sand cuz that's what DH had bought and I didn't have any soft sand left.
    Another thing that needs to be taken into account - I don't get snow or ice here. We rarely go below freezing though you'd never know it from this past winter when we had temps drop into the upper 20's but below that I don't think it's ever happened. Karen, since you live in Phoenix you should be able to get away with a 1 part (Portland) cement to 5 parts soft sand. This is not heavy to mix. And maybe you just have to stop after making one batch. This isn't a race. I think it's great that you're making stepping stone and not letting your illness get the best of you.
    You've got a lot of great advice here. Keep up your stepping stone making and we all look forward to seeing the results!
    Cait

Here is a link that might be useful: Paving album

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi ALL and thanks for your responses and advice and info.
    First let me clear up what I use. It's Quikrete Mortar.
    No rocks in it, and I'm not about to get into mixing cement and sand and whatever else. This stuff is the best for ME to use. The gal I buy my molds from gave me a lot of info originally on different things to use. I tend to say "cement" as a catch phrase. My molds range from small dinner plate size 1/2" thick up to molds 18" with depth of 2". I plan on any and all of them to be decor only, not to be walked on. So no need for the strength of aggragate or wire, etc. I have the 60 lb bag of Quikrete (and no, I sure don't lift it. LOL) I found that 6 cups of it with 2 cups of water will pour one of the larger stones and several of the smaller ones. My giant, metal 'kitchen' spoon is actually very strong and a great stirrer. Its my lack of strength these days in my arms and shoulders that is the problem. I was in agony last night from doing three large molds yesterday. Today I did two, but mixed the Quikrete in smaller batches where the stirring was easier on me. I think with the Fibro, this might be the only solution if I plan to do this crazy hobby. Tho will be checking further about the little barrel thing you roll around. Considering how few stones I'll be making since it's not a business venture really, I'm just looking for cheap and easy way. I'm making up about dozen the next two wks for my one and only sale plans. A dog show I'm going to on one day, I can take some, without paying a vendor fee (several hundred dollars). So hopefully I can sell a few there of my dog head stepping stone and some of the rabbit ones. Anyway, sure appreciate y'all responding so much to me on this. Here's pix of the lg rabbit, unpainted yet and three stones I did for friends for Xmas. The dog ones were painted like their own Whippets for them.
    Karen {{gwi:129414}} href="http://photobucket.com/"; target="_blank">{{gwi:129415}}

• little_dani
    17 years ago

One thing that is really good to use as reinforcement is used fabric softener sheets.

They work good in 'tufa too.

Janie

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, Karen, I love your stones. I'm crazy about bunnies--your's turned out so cute. Luvs

• katladie
    17 years ago

Great stones Karen. Love them.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fabric softner sheets huh? Well I sure have lots of those.
    Thank you for a great tip, Janie.

Karen

• mert_2try4sounds_fun
    17 years ago

My method for almost effortlessly mixing up cement etc. is to do it in relatively small batches by spreading a plastic tarp on the ground. Actually I kneel on the top step of my backyard cement steps (knee pads on) put the tarp on the "landing" so to speak and do it by hand with rubber gloves on. Sort of like kneading bread. I've made hundreds of bricks and stepping stones with this method easily. I first measure out the sand and aggregate (small pea gravel) and mix it together while still dry. Make a well and put the cement in center and than any colorant in the center of that if I'am using a colorant and mix the cement and colorant together. Make a well in center and start slowly adding the water using trowel initially and then my hands which makes it easy and even fun to do. You can even lift up a corner of tarp and sort of "fold" the mixture over on itself if need be rather than moving it all by hand. By premixing the dry ingredients, it makes it easier to mix after adding the water. I would imagine if you had a garden table you could stand and do this on the table. I prefer the step and ground method as being more stable and easier to contain. It really only takes a few minutes using both hands versus a spoon or paddle and is less tiring. I always wear a mask when mixing these dry ingredients and would caution anyone using soft silca sand to take precautions as this fine sand when inhaled is carcinagenic.

side note: You girls with the Fibromyalgia, you do not have to live with this, there is much help for this condition. contact the non-profit organization "Hallelujah Acres" whose CEO is: Dr. George H. Malkmus. Hope this helps on all counts. :)

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

Mert,
    What a clever idea! I think I need to try it. Have you used this method with 'tufa mix? If yes, how did it work?
    I love playing with cement. Concrete, mortar, 'tufa, love it all! The hypertufa forum is my second favorite, this one is my first. Go Junkers!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I probably should try mixing mine where it's up on a table and I'm not kneeling over on the ground. Aside note, Mert, will check out the info you sent on fibro. However I've had it for 15 yrs (just worsened badly the last couple of years) and am on a national support forum. There really is little to help this disease, and some things work for some people and not others. I'm at the point where pain is 24/7 and really isn't going to change now. But believe it or not, I'm one of the lucky ones in some respects for being able to function. Garden Junk has been a great outlet for me and helped by inspiring, encouraging, continued work in things I enjoy rather than just giving up and doing nothing like some who deal with this pain.
    Thanks for the info, I'm always researching "just in case".
    Karen

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

I use a kitty litter container to mix mine on a chair next to the table where the molds are. I use the Quickcrete mortar as well. I use my hands to mix it - I wear platex gloves as well. I make 3 stepping stones at a time too. A spoon would be very hard to stir the mortar with but with your hands it's easy.

When I'm finished I use a hose & squirt the pan & gloves off for another day. I'm sure you will find this a lot easier.

Throw away the gloves when they have a hole in it. The lime will eat away at your fingertips.

I've also used those beige examination gloves too. They don't last long - more like use once & throw away. They are great as well because of no clean up.

• Monte
    17 years ago

One thing that would make it easier is to use morter tub.

These are small plastic tubs, not unlike a litter box but the bottom is curved so there are no corners.

This allows a morter hoe (or any small garden hoe) to dig into the corners so that all the material gets evenly mixed.

They are available for about $7 at Home Depot/Lowes.

Using a tub and hoe would be much less stressful as you can "slice" into the material mixing small amounts around until it is all incorporated rather than needing to push through the entire mass in a confined space as you do with your bucket and spoon method.

Of course if you must use a bucket there are many, many diferent types of mixers that fit into a drill that make it greatly less difficult.

I added a link to a true "morter hoe" so you can see that it has holes in it for the material to pass thru speeding up the process but for small batches like your working with it is by no means essential. You surely could find a short handled garden hoe that would work just as well for this application.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morter Hoe

• mommyandme
    17 years ago

Today, my daughter & I poured our first 2 molds. We used Quikcrete # 1133 Vinyl Concrete Patcher (no rocks), which had been recommended by some on the forum. We used approx 15 lbs mix & 2 qts water per mold. We included a layer of 1/2" hardware cloth for strength. We stirred the colorant powder in with a cheap garden trowel. I continued stirring with the trowel while she poured some water in. After that became too difficult, we dove in with our heavy duty playtex gloves and moooshed it around. We used just enough water to make it look like brownie batter. I was concerned about lifting & pouring the concrete, but we didn't have to. The stuff sets up pretty quickly, so we were able to scoop up large amounts at a time with the trowel. We even scooped some up with our gloved hands. We worked on the floor, which was another concern, but we were well organized and the process went quickly. I am in pain this afternoon, but I think it has more to do with the longer than usual walk I took than with making stones. Our goal right now is to make 2 a week.

• Rainsend
    17 years ago

I use the mortar tubs. This allows me to mix on a table when I need to. They are shallow and it is easy to tell how well mixed it is getting. They are easier to clean out too. I have mixed thinset for tile flooring in these same tubs and use my electric (battery operated) drill with a mixing attachment. This works quite well. But for my cement/sand and hypertufa mixtures I mix by hand with a small trowel. I have carpal tunnels so I have to pace myself so I dont suffer too much.

• jackie12007
    16 years ago

I am just so excited by everything you guys have said! You have all inspired me..and given me alot of great ideas. I was just wondering though..I got a bag of portland cement and bag of sand..now could someone explain about how much of each I need to mix together to make small stepping stones ..under 10 lbs. each..I'm kind of into making mosaic flip flop stepping stones right now and I want to make my own mix cuz the premixed stuff at the craft store is to expensive for me Any suggestions?? oh..and when I say small.. I mean just a few stones at a time and and I'm just mixing it up like brownie mix with a wooden spoon and mixing bowl..:)~

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

I was just thinking how lucky I was to have someone to help me mix mine up! I know I couldn't do it myself, I can't even lift the 80 lb. bags anymore! It left a huge bruise on my forearm the last time,and I said no way! I had DH help me most of the time, and last time my former daughter-law helped with the stepping stones and mushrooms the grandchildren made. We mixed it in a wheelbarrow, two bags. Thanks for the tip with the dryer sheets,next stepping stones we make I'll try that.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

We always used the wheelbarrow and hoe method. That to me seems easier that trying to mix it by hand. With the hoe, you just push and pull-push and pull until you get it mixed.
    We do have a cement mixer (after 50 years, I guess I will always say 'we') that Bill bought several year ago when we did a shed floor. Nothing has been mixed since then--I keep thinking about it tho!

• mdunkin
    16 years ago

I just bought a bag of Quickcrete that is rather 'rocky'. Definitely harder to mix (though not impossible). I poured it into my mold, wasn't that satisfied with the lumpy look, oh well, took it out of the mold the next day, only for it to cookie crumble right in my hands. I think I bought the wrong stuff. I do however have thinset left over, and I want to know if I can use that instead? So you know, I plan a garden angel, which is what the mold is, that I purchased. I do not plan on painting it. I will dye the cement instead as I want it to have a natural appearance.

I do have the one question. Will the thinset take to the dye packet (powder mix). If it doesn't then I will not use it.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

JACKIE: Three parts sand to one part cement. Be sure to pour one layer, then lay a layer of mesh wire to reinforce the stepping stone, then pour the next layer.

• jackie12007
    16 years ago

thank you slowmedown..and thanks for reminding me about using the screen..can't wait to get started making some cute stones for my son's wedding path down towards the archway for the ceremony.. do you have any good ideas that you could share with me.. I'm still new to the stepping stone's ..I usually work with pique assiette on pots and frames and things like that. but again thanks for the help :)

• sonnette
    16 years ago

Those are all really good ideas on mixing cement. There is a new tool out on the market called The Original Murtagh. It is about $32. It is made for mixing in a wheelbarrow and mixing in a mixing pan for smaller jobs. It is absolutely wonder. It is not hard on the back, or hands. And is a lot cheaper than renting a cement mixer.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Thanks sonnette for digging up this message thread!