Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dollydee_gw

Awesome Blue Bottles!!

dollydee
12 years ago

While I was out couponing yesterday, I spotted the new Bud Light Platinum bottles! OMG, cobalt blue beer bottles???? Yippee!! I don't drink, but DH likes to have one while he's grilling or sitting on the deck...def what he'll be consuming during Super bowl party...LOL

Comments (44)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! I don't usually drink lite beer, but I probably should actually. I also usually only drink it on hot days, but its been nice and sunny in our house the last couple of days :)
    Kathy

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I see a lot of beer consumption in my near future! And I actually like Bud Lite. I can't remember who posted a photo of that blue bottle fence, but I've been lusting after a blue bottle sense. Oh the sacrifices I will have to make!!!

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

Wow! My 1st thought was I should buy a 6 pack & pour it down the drain, but the truth is I already have 15 cobalt blue bottles of various sizes that I don't know what to do with. Due to space limitations, a bottle tree is out of the question. Maybe the Bud Light bottles will inspire some new ideas that I can adapt to my situation. - Laura

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Yippee!!!!! I don't usually drink. Maybe a couple on a hot day and being i'm in Texas I see some hot days a coming! Thanks for sharing a fun way to get those gorgeous blue bottles. I went thru litterly hundreds of old bottles this weekend in search of blue or green bottles. All I came up with was 3 glass milk of magnesia bottles and about 6 old glass vicks bottles. Not sure what to do with the little squatty blue vicks bottles. But they sure are cute! Also having a problem setting all the other bottles out to trash as they are all very old and of such varied sizes and shapes.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Well ,I'm going to sacrifice for my art -- I'm buying a 12 pack *wink* !

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

I too shall make the sacrifice.
    Capt. Jack's will soon be carrying Bud in blue bottles.
    PG-13 Rated sign for Capt. Jack's. Click magnify to see details of sign.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

I work for a bottle manufacturing plant that also makes the same bottle but in amber (brown). I recently saw this bottle and fell in love with it to. To bad it is made by a competitor. LOL I wish to thank all of you who drink in glass bottles as you keep me working. It is a beautiful bottle. Hmmmm I need a tree, a bottle tree. Paula

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I LOVE Captain Jack's sign .... !
    I used to be a broad - but now I'm just broad . I bet it's a fun place :)
    As always -- your "guard birds" just set the whole place off :)

• posieh
    12 years ago

Captain Jack's sign is totally offensive, disgusting and an affront to all women! Calling women broads and whores is beyond tolerable!

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posieh,
    You are the reason I wear a tinfoil hat.
    I didn't post the picture and I gave it a PG-13 rating so you could have/make the personal choice of not viewing it.
    It was a silly (I thought) sign for a nonexistent place I made to go along with my nautical themed pond area.
    Surely there must more offensive and disgusting things on the internet to comment on?
    Have a happy birthday and stay away from TV, they use even more offensive language describing people in general and women in particular everyday.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.

For other GJ readers,
    Beware of linking to the silly sign I have on my sun shade/taco shack at La Playa my Back Yard, it my contain 2 words that some may find offensive and disgusting. I thought people that make or have weird things in their yard/garden would see the humor. I could be wrong about that. What rows my boat may not row yours.

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

To posieh and GJ readers,

Please excuse above outburst, I really need to become more PC and in touch with my feminine side.
    Sorry.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I like the Capt Jack sign. Not the wording I would choose to have on a sign on my property, but it made me smile. Keep posting tinfoilhat. I love your creativity.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Love the birds and LOVE the sign. Brought a big smile to my face to know you dare to be yourself in your own back yard. You gave sufficient warning.......evidently it got the best of the lookers and they couldn't resist the temptation! Shame on Posieh for being tempted!!!
    Keep posting tinfoilhat. I look forward to everything you share with us.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Things just aren't the same since they started making foil out of aluminum.
    Sigh.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Love the vultures atop the building! I'd perch these two on my roof any day!

I drink only red or amber beer, but it might be worth my while to buy a 6 pack of these blue bottles and use the contents for slug bait. I finished my bottle tree just as the supplement/vitamin company switched from blue glass to blue plastic bottles, so it wouldn't hurt to have some extra smallish blue glass bottles in reserve in case of breakage. I saved some of the new plastic blue bottles as future replacements, but not sure how they would hold up to sunlight. Thanks for the tip, Dollydee!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I just got groceries...I couldn't resist...brought home a 12-pk of the blue beer bottles! (& I don't even like beer!) But someone will drink it! TFS Dollydee! Jeanne S.

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

Saw them in my grocery store today. They are beautiful, but no one in this house will drink the stuff and sadly, we don't have slugs here. I never thought I'd miss them. Sigh. - Laura

Love the vultures !

• dollydee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can't wait to get mine! I've been in extreme coupon mode all week with all the Super Bowl sales & I'm also watching to see who has the best price on the Platinums :) So far Walgreen's has them beat!! LOL

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Tinfoilhat --- I think you misread poseih's comment . It's tongue in cheek --- " beyond Tolerable " -- which is totally fine, cool and totally acceptable. If she said it was beyond "intolerable" .....that would mean totally disgusting. You're off the hook . LOL

• dollydee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TooMuch...I caught that too :)

• posieh
    12 years ago

Tinfoilhat....Guess I missed the humor you intended to convey with your sign. I do admire your sculptures, you are so talented! Love your Rusty D Bird!

• greensuzq2
    12 years ago

WOW I finally got to get on again. Problems with my computer and then logging in here. Sure am glad I got to get in here again. I have been visiting, but not been able to post.

I don't drink beer, but some of my friends do. So they all know next time they come with their Bud Light, they better be blue bottles. Ha Ha!!

I am going to try and post some of my pictures of a few things I have done in the last year.

I do like the Capt. Jack signs. I used to be offended by things said about women a long, long time ago. But, some things you just have to go along with and not take it personally. Many times I have said a thing or two about the male species that I wouldn't have said (out loud) many years ago. Now I just say them. LOL

Glad I get to post again. See Ya.

• chickiebabeblue
    12 years ago

I just brought home a 12 pack too! I guess I'll have to take beer drinking lessons. Any volunteer teachers? I'll supply the beer! (but I won't share the bottles;))

• kirkus
    12 years ago

LOVE MY NEW BLUE BOTTLES! Soooo coooool looking in the sun!!!!!

{{gwi:129503}}

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

My local grocery store doesn't have the bottles in yet. They've ordered them for me and shoudl have them on Thursday.

Does anyone know if this is a temporary offering? Or something semi-permanent? Just wondering how much Budweiser I need to drink in the next few months! Oh the sacrifices I will make!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Gosh, we should be in the 'marketing' business for Bud Light...I'm sure we're selling lots of beer! LOL! Jeanne S.

• kudzukween
    12 years ago

wow, i need some beer! i finally got blue wine bottles that don't fit on the giant nails we got for a 4x4 bottle tree. they also don't fit on my cheap-ie bottle tree i got at collections etc. so right now they're upside down in the ground by the bottle tree.
    Louise

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I bought a six pack yesterday . I was shocked to see how thin the glass is compared to the old thick brown bottles. These bottles are definately made for crafting :)

• pamelagrace
    12 years ago

Am so glad I saw this! Hubby not big fan of Bud Light but I'm am huge fan of blue bottles. Have a couple of trees and pots. Love them.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Has anyone been able to get the labels off yet? I've been soaking them in hot dishwater and then in hot simple green water...they aren't coming off easily!

• dollydee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alcohol, then rinse. It will leave a little residue, at that point use Mr. Magic eraser, works great! I keep those on hand at all times to use on lots & lots of things...best product ever invented :)

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

I think lighter fluid works great on getting the sticky stuff off of things. That is what I use, then just wash them.
    I haven't seen these blue bottles here where I live. Haven't really looked but I think I would have seen them if they were where I shop. I love the blue bottles so will have to look around.
    I like Captain Jacks signs. Funny, I thought a first that it was at an actual Pub/Bar. lol
    Sharon

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I was able to scrape the corner of the labels with my fingernail, and then they peeled right off. Left a little sticky residue, which I squirted with Goo Gone, and then sent thru my dishwasher. Totally clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goo Gone

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

DH came home and said there was several laying beside the road!!!! Yippee....we jumped in the truck and went back for them! Out of six - five of them made it without out breaking! Amazing as they were being thrown at a bridge railing! He said they had been laying there several days already and we had some warm days. No problem getting the labels off. The ones I purchased full of breww took more effort to get the labels off. I think the sun may have helped. Makes collecting go faster when someone else is so kind to empty them and then toss for me to find!!

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I got 2 cases yesterday, but haven't even opened the
    package. Since I don't drink beer, I will probably
    pour it out sometime soon if I can't find a
    'drinker'. Pixie, that is what I do with labels.
    Goo Gone usually works. I also have a can of Mess
    Master spray from the Design Master paint people,
    and that works too. That removes paint from your
    hands also.

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

Nonacook

Normally I would consider pouring beer down the drain alcohol abuse. But after tasting one of the these I won't be the one calling the beer police on you.
    This might just being throwing good money after bad but you could try some beer recipes. Brats, shrimp, or bread come to mind.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

LOL!!!
    Thanks, tinfoil!!!!

• dans_le_jarden
    12 years ago

beer bread(just like homemade bread)
    3 cups self rising flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 beer
    Just dump the beer in and stir. Don't smooth it or let it rise- pour into a greased loaf pan and bake @350 for 50 or 60 minutes

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

I lucked out on finding the empty blue beer bottles on Craigslist. The lady had 13 empty beer bottles and 2 blue wine bottles. She let me have all 15 for 10 bucks. She also said she would call me when she had some more. Wow I lucked out this time! Now I just got to get my hubby to help me make the tree for them. Will post a pic whenever it gets done.

• capobeach
    11 years ago

Not sure if anybody is still following this thread, but its good to know that I'm not the only one who was excited about finding these in the store. Not my best work, but here is a shallow bowl I made with my first batch of bottles a few days ago. OMG, the beer is aweful. I'm going to have to stock up before they stop making it :-).

Here is a link that might be useful: shallow bowl

• diggery
    11 years ago

Omigoodness, capobeach, that bowl is gorgeous! Now I want to see your 'best' work. Yep, that's some nasty stuff. Hard to find someone willing to empty my bottles for me. Hopin AB ditches the beer & keeps the bottles.

A bit OT but am I the only one who wonders why Killian's Irish Red isn't marketed in red bottles? Just sayin...

blessings,
    ~digger

• diggery
    11 years ago

Adding here...thinkin you should re-post this pic on its own thread. Just a thought.

• capobeach
    11 years ago

Thanks Diggery. I think the issue with red glass cost. From my limited work in stained glass and more recently fusing, they say that to make red glass you have to include real gold in the recipe. It definitely costs more than the other colors.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Great job on the fused bottles! Yes, red glass is made with gold, so exspensive to buy. I use a wallpaper scratcher? roller with spikes? that you score the wallpaper to soak it to remove it? then soak it...it comes off real good!