Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Rusty Rabbits, a Frog, & a Fireplace Screen

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi everyone! Had to share my latest winter finds. I found this fireplace screen at my favorite thrift store (the same place where I find all of the cool iron pieces for my gardens). I'm thinking this screen will make a nice backdrop in a corner garden...maybe with a little vine growing up it. I like the 3-D look of the cattails. :o)

{{gwi:129569}}

{{gwi:129570}}

Here are some heavy iron rabbits I bought. I think they will go in front of a planter or in front of our whiskey barrel/watering can fountain. I like the rabbits' rusty appearance. The seller said that he bought the frogs from a lady who had them sitting in her garden for years. How cool is that...from her garden to our garden? :o)

{{gwi:129571}}

Oh, and then here's a little frog sprinkler I found at the thrift store. He's very heavy. I love his expression! :o) Can't wait to tuck him in the garden.

{{gwi:129572}}

It's fun planning ahead in the midst of winter and all of this snow! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (14)

• jlily
    13 years ago

I LOVE your rabbits. They will be glad to be an addition to your garden. Yes! The planning is what it takes to make winter tolerable. I like your other items, too. Your frog has a cute smile. Jlily

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

The fireplace screen is my favorite. I would love to find an old discard one for my garden; behind the flowers would be a nice way to "frame" them.

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

I just noticed the 3D effect of the cattails. Looks as if they are growing right out of the snow.
    I'm so envious ... I want that screen.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

You've got a good eye, Kirk! I'm with Nancy...lovin' that firescreen...& it's the "cattails" that makes it! That will be AMAZING in your gardens! And those rustic bunnies...perfect...I leave my iron stuff right out in the weather (like you) ...they only get better IMO!

You can't see it real well in this pic, but this is a "cattail" trellis that I got in MN on vac a couple yrs ago (behind the fisherboy) ...so I am picturing your fireplace screen near your barrel pond!
    {{gwi:129573}}

TFS, Kirk! I can seeing you're enjoying Christmas break! Hugs to your family! Jeanne s.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those are great finds, the rabbits are my favorite. All my usual TS were closed this week, and I'm having with-drawal. That screen will be great in a corner garden, can't wait to see it.
    Frou

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Placed the rusty rabbits outside today under our covered porch...right next to my basket of rock eggs. They'te thinking Easter and SPRING!!!!! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

• kacram
    13 years ago

man! you need to give up the name and location
    of your thrift store! I'm gonna have to steal
    across the mountains and check it out!
    great finds!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I just went & checked to see if we have snow, none yet!! I've been waiting a long time, since 1963 & I guess 1 time it was on ground about an hour or less at 5 in morning. I was upset my neighbor didn't call & wake me up!! I've always wanted 1 pic of my house with snow!! So I came back & saw yours & now I'm cold. Your fireplace screen looks perfect in the snow. I have cattails & duck I hand painted(with stencils) all around 1 room as border by ceiling. So I'm a big fan of everything about your screen, flowers will look so good by it. Love the rabbits but the frog looks new, are you holding out on the frogs that have been in lady's garden for years or was that the rabbits?? Great buys!!I'd be 1 happy camper if I managed to get all those goodies in 1 TS trip. Jan

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Great finds!!
    I think I would be able to sneak the rabbits and frog into a box in the motorhome here somewhere to travel with me!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops...Sunnyca, the rabbits (not the frog) were in the lady's yard for years. :o)

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Great finds...think I like the frog the best as I am a frog collector of sorts. My first frog was similar to yours. It too was a yard sprinkler but it stands about 10 inches tall and about 14 inches long. It is very old the best we can figure, knowing some of its history, he dates back to the 1930's. He was used as a salsmans sample and it had been passed thru the family for many years ,to say the least! I inherited it from a dear friend before she passed about 20 years ago. Enough of my rambling.....all your finds were superb!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I can't IMAGINE why you would be thinking of spring! ;-)

LOVE all of your finds especially the bunnies! Very cute!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oldcrafty, Your frog sounds GREAT! I can't wait to try mine out. Will have to wait until spring...everything outside is frozen. Even if he doesn't work, he'll look great in the garden. Love the history of yours! You should take a picture and post it. I would love to see it. :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Love your finds Kirk! The fireplace screen is awesome! I love those bunnies too, how cute that they're all rusty & that frog, even if he doesn't work, he would be cute with a beaded wire dragonfly on his back (or some other treasure)

Can't wait until spring now. We lost all our snow, but we might get more by the end of the week. Now that Christmas is done, I'm over it. LOL!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler