Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Giant wooden 3d outdoor ornament

pixie_lou
11 years ago

I can't find the post. Someone made one - I think she used plywood leftover from a move. The ornament was huge - many feet tall - and she hung it outside.

Can anyone help me find the post?

DH bought me a jigsaw for Christmas. This is on my to do list. I'd love to find the previous post - hopefully it will answer some of my construction questions.

Comments (8)

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Enter 'plywood ornament' in the seach box at the bottom of the opening page...
    The name of the post is 'the big reveal'
    I don't know how to post a link.....

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Here's the direct link

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant ornament

• rafor
    11 years ago

Hi pixie lou, that was my post about the ornament. It was made out of some used plywood pieces we had around.

Do you have a particular question about making one? Maybe I can help!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I had searched giant ornament, wooden ornament, 3D ornament, outdoor ornament. And each was bringing up hundreds of threads. I've clipped the thread now.

DH had put some hooks and chains and carabiners in our tree out back so that DD can interchange between her swing, rings, and trapeze bar. So I already have a hook in place.

rafor - what exactly did you use to hang it? Rope? Chain? Did you use anything so that it could spin?

Have you made any more? As I think my grandiose plans, I can imagine having an ornament for Christmas, a snowflake for winter, a heart for valentines day, an egg for easter, a star for fourth of july, a cursing husband for fathers day, etc.

It looks like you used just plain old spray paint. Did you do anything to "seal" the wood?

Since I have an 8 year old, I think mine may end up blingier. I'm thinking of attaching small mirrors and/or reflectors.

This will be a summer project. When DH isn't teaching and has plenty of time to operate the saw for me. Besides, I need to get to work gluing together my glass flowers and totems I designed last summer.

• rafor
    11 years ago

I used just regular glossy spray paint. I didn't seal it with anything. We used a braided wire to hang it. The hook at the top could swivel. We used too thin a wire and after about a month of spinning in the wind, it gave way. We are going to replace it with a chain. I cut out several more just round circles (shaped at the top like a glass ball ornament), but didn't hang them up. They need a little more painting.

I also thought of adding something to catch the light, but just ended up painting a few starts on mine.

I like your idea of making different shapes for various holidays. That would be cute.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The chain in our tree is rated for 1500 lbs and the carabiners were the ones I used to use for rock climbing. So I assume they can hold the weight of a wooden ornament!

I'm excited about this plan of mine. Thanks for all your input.

• posieh
    11 years ago

A site for lots of patterns and posters is
    www.thewinfieldcollection.com Lots of things to make for your yard. You glue the posters to plywood and theylast for years.

• posieh
    11 years ago

I don't know if this site has ever been posted or not so will do so. Lots of patterns and posters for outdoor art, figurines, furniture, etc. www.thewinfieldcollection.com.
    Play with the site.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry