Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrandma_gw

Painting BB question

gardengrandma
17 years ago

I need to paint a black BB a lighter color so my marbles look brighter, what kind of paint should I use so it won't peel?

Sorry, I didn't use the search, I'm on my way out to work so had no time.

Comments (6)

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

I've used acrylics so far. Just be sure to wash the ball really well to get the oils off and then go over it with sandpaper to give it some tooth for the paint to grab hold.

can't wait to see it!

• lefd05
    17 years ago

Just spray paint. I prefer to use Krylon. I've used cheap spray paint and had problems with it running. I also buy a can of the gray primer and I use it first, then paint with the color of choice. Make sure you clean the ball really well first with dish soap and water to remove any wax and lane oil.

• coloredthumb
    17 years ago

Washing it with a detergent and water, rinsing and drying it well is the start. I also give it a light sanding then use a coat of an etchable primer to grab the ball and the paint. I have used a very inexpensive spray paint without runs or peeling off. Name brands don't always make the difference it is the techniques of painting. It is always best to do many light coats rather than try to cover the ball in one heavy coat. It drys and cures better and faster in multiple coats, making the paint stick tighter to the ball and harder to scratch or ding off when it is finished. Since the paint is going to be holding the extra wieght of the glue and marbles you want it to be adhered to the ball.
    Have fun
    CT

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

This is what I did and I've had a painted BB outside for 2 years now and it still looks brand new.

1. Cleaned the BB with soap and water.
    2. Sanded the BB
    3. Wiped it down with a paint prep liquid that I had (rubbing alcohol will do the same thing).
    4. Let dry thoroughly.
    5. Spray with a plastic primer (1 thin coat). Let dry.
    6. Spray three thin layers of paint, drying between layers.
    7. Spray three thin layers of a clear acrylic sealer or poly.
    8. I let mine cure inside for two weeks before putting outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: My BBs

• lefd05
    17 years ago

I disagree on the cheap spray paint. I've used cheap ones before with the same painting techniques and several light coats but it still runs very badly. I don't recommend it. I have far less trouble with Krylon.:)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I use Krylon paint for plastics too. Works great and I can get 4 balls done out of one spray can.

I sand the ball down then clean it with soap and water. A day later I start spraying, then I let it cure for the two days (?) specified by the can of spray paint.

Works great. Haven't had any problems so far.

I'm painting the grout on this one tonight...

{{gwi:129620}}

Sponsored