Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyandme2

another finished

mommyandme2
12 years ago

Another simple one: the nest is constructed of bits of wire found around the neighborhood. Included are 2 rusty coat hangers and 2 metal hooks from plastic hangers, but most of the wire is misc. small & unidentified pieces. The bird is from Hbby Lbby. I sprayed her with a few coats of sealer.

{{gwi:129651}}

{{gwi:129652}}

Comments (13)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Very cute. Little bird looks like she is saying, "Thank you for my nest." Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh, what a tangled web we weave!! Well, that's my first thought when I saw this ...cause I LOVE it! & it's NOT a web! ;-) Did you just 'scrunch' & 'wrap' with pliers & cutters to put it altog. or did you use weld or glue? TFS! Jeanne S.

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jeanne ! I used pliers & cutters for some pieces, such as the 2 coat hangers, but most pieces were already small & scrunched. I don't know anything about welding, so I was limited to weaving & super glue. I'm not sure how well these pieces would weld, anyway. Some pieces are painted, some are rusty, & they're made of several different kinds of metal. If you look carefully, you'll see there's even a broken drill bit woven in.

• flowers12
    12 years ago

Jeanne, your yard must be the most interesting yard. You are so creative. You have such an imagination to make this cute birds nest out of scraps of old wire. Kudos!
    I love it. Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

While I'm sure that cute piece gave you punctured figures, broken nails, and superglued fingers, you are missing out on even greater joys by not being able to weld things like that.
    You have a keen eye for assembling the various pieces of flotsam and jetsam in the neighborhood for this piece but think how much more this piece could be if you wore a helmet with black glass in front of your eyes while assembling it. The various c-clamps, spring clamps, and needle nose pliers you could have unintentionally yet permanently added. Stuck electrodes would have the benefit of adding mass too.
    Ferris and non-ferrous metal? Not a problem. Just clamp the found pieces together and pour the welding rod to them. Let the gods decide what will exist and what will burn in a blinding flash of creativity...
    Probably didn't need that piece anyway.
    Unknown and different composition ferrous metals can add hours of fun to any sculpture. I personally love building precariously rocking scaffolding to hold a piece at just the right height and angle 3 or 4 times so I can weld an unknown piece of hi-tensile steel to mild steel. The joy I get when I hear that crack-ping as it cools, breaks, and falls off the welding table is a joy to hear. I have a shinny spot on my garage where I beat my head against the wall to celebrate these joys of welding.
    So come on ladies, sign up for that welding class and get that warm feeling that only a hot clinker in your boot can give you.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Love it! Your birdie looks right at home there! And as tinfoilhat suggested, welding opens up a whole new avenue, but if you don't weld, you can always find a guy who doesn't mind the sparks flying who would probably be willing to help....personally, I've always been afraid of the flying sparks and small metal sparks that jump around. And yes, "clinkers" can be very hot!! Been there too!

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

With poor eyesight & arthritic hands, & a big fear of sparks, I don't plan on EVER doing any welding. Punctured fingers, superglued fingers and broken nails are all I can handle. I don't think my doctor would be pleased at my adding burns and a damaged skull to the list. Maybe I should pack to nest in a box & mail it to Tinfoilhat for proper welding ! Thanks to all for the compliments. ---- Laura

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Very cute-I like it! Broken (finger)nails and all!
    I also like the comments about learning to weld-LOL
    However, at age 74 I no longer have hopes of learning
    to do that. I wanted to all my life and they just
    laughed at me--never mind 'Rosie the riviter'
    There are 2 different welders that my DH used sitting
    in the shop.
    All I need is to find someone to come here to use them....

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

The nest is sweet. YOu are so clever to find the bits and know how to use them. Tinfoil hat you are ariot. Nonacook, I think you should learn to weld now.
    Kathy

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

Will weld and tutor for food.
    {{gwi:129653}}

Highly motivated by:
    Lasagna
    Fried Chicken
    Fish Tacos
    Ruben Sandwiches
    Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
    Tall Redheads

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tall redheads ? How about short & gray ?

• tinfoilhat
    12 years ago

That's OK if the chicken's OK.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

The nest is so cute & birdie seems to love it!! Tinfoilhat, that pic cracked me up! No welding for me, have enough headaches without hitting my head on the wall. Looks like you have a pretty good supply of items around you so you can create some more neat GJ for us to enjoy! You must be where there is no snow! I was sent pics of AZ but it must have been Flagstaff as it was a mess, people & cars slipping & sliding & folks falling down. Jan

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions