Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solar lamp post

Posted by linjon 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 11:47

I have been lurking on this site for awhile and thought it was time for me to show one of the projects I have been working on. My husband brought me the center post from inside a water heater. He suggested that I use it to put a bird house on it or make something for our garden.

I decided to paint it black and glued a solar light in the top of it. I also had my husband drill three holes in the top of it so I could hang things from it. I haven't decided whether to decorate the bottom or not. I am thinking of glass 1/2 stones around the bottom. This will go out into the garden to mark a pathway by our gazebo.

I have a second one that you can see in the background. I am not sure what I want to do with that one, still thinking on it. Would like ideas of what to do with the second one and maybe how to decorate the bottom of the first one.

This post was edited by linjon on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 16:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solar lamp post

First of all, welcome to the forum! Second...I never knew water heaters had those big posts in the center. I think your idea is very creative and will make an excellent light for your path. Thanks so much for posting!

o

Thank you for welcoming me to this site. I really love checking out what everyone is doing to reuse everyday items in a new way. This was a gas hot water heater. The center post was for the gas to go up through to heat the water. The outside part of the tank was used for a sluice pipe in a ditch. My DH removed the ends and used the center for the ditch.

This post was edited by linjon on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 16:29

o

Came out nice, will be handy in garden to hang things on & give some light at night. Is it heavy or will you put it over a pole or something so it won't tip over? Nice save! Jan

o

I cannot put it over a pole as there is a bottom on this one. It isn't very top heavy and the bottom is quite large so I don't think I will have much problems with it tipping over. If I find that to be a problem I will just dig a hole for the bottom of it to go into or fill it up a bit with stones. I am hoping that I don't have to do that as I thought with the small opening in the bottom of it might work for a toad house or small critter home.

This post was edited by linjon on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 23:28

o

That is a nice lamp post! I also had no idea that those were inside hot water heaters either.

o

They are just in the gas hot water heaters.

o

I didn't know that either. Looks good.
Kathy

o

Thank you. I can't wait to get it into the garden.

o

A couple of years ago I 'finally' threw something away, and it was a gas hot water heater and I could't think of a thing to use it for in the garden--wouldn't you know---LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here