Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollywilson_gw

Hand Painted Glass Flower

pollywilson
13 years ago

I have gone crazy with these flowers and love painting them with glass paint. I have even gone to a few craft shows. Just a beginner but have a lot of fun doing it!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:129854}}

Comments (13)

• pollywilson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, these are so fun to make and you are right the glass paint lets you use a clear plate and make it whatever color you want!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:129855}}

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! The second one is even prettier!! I love it!. How does the glass paint hold up in the sun? Here in AZ the summers are scorching hot. I guess I could make sure I put it in the shade. I am so glad you shared your idea. I am sure many of us will be trying it. Hope you do not mind if we copy it. It is such a cooooool idea.Thanks.

• pollywilson
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use a Pebeo glass paint from Michael's Craft store, many colors! I then bake the plates for about 40 min. at 350 and that sets in the color. I live in Florida and mine have been in the sun and doing fine for over a year now.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pollysyardart

I have a website on Etsy if you want to get more ideas!

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

pollywilson - Your flowers are beautiful. You have taken a good idea and made it great. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great job! Those have wonderful colors in them! Thanks for sharing with us.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Your flowers are just beautiful!! Thanks for the inspiration......and back to the thrift shop I go!!!

• puggranny
    13 years ago

Love them and thanks for the painting glass tip!!!!!!

• tinael01
    13 years ago

totally new to this forum - so that's a plate, saucer, and glass on a metal stick? What do you glue it with?

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Lovely plate flowers!! Glad you are having fun & selling some too. Welcome Tinae101 I think if you go to old post there is quite a bit on how to make the backs & glue to use. I think GE silicone II is best one to use-fresh not old. You may find some posts are missing from about Aug-Nov. I went to find the potting bench I painted from old headboard & it is gone so they lost a lot of posts about time everyone was doing them. I think purplemoon has some in the Inspiration Album but I don't know how to attach link- help!!! Jan

• greensuzq2
    13 years ago

I love your Hand Painted Flowers, actually saw them at Etsy too and sent the link to a few people I know. I love making plate flowers and totems, but on hold until it gets a little warmer.

Thanks for sharing.
    GreenSuzq2 (old GreenSuzq wouldn't let me in)

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I have been debating about doing this, but haven't had the funds to get the paints or to make the one hour drive to the store.

I have that exact same back plate in the first pic, but wasn't thinking about painting that one, but I just might now. I just used the matching bowl on a totem. I knew I'd wish I wouldn't have done that. LOL!! thanks for the inspiration!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Wow! That second one is stunning! Baking the color on probably makes it last outside. I may have to try this.
    tina, welcome! I did a tutorial on my blog, which part one is linked below. i have to warn you I did great gory detail so its in 2 parts. To get to the second part, go to the top of the blog and select tutorials from the list. There are only 4 so its not hard to scroll down to the plate flower part 2.
    Garden craze came up with the spoon idea which I use in my tutorial, but she has gone on to forks.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Plate flower tute on Concretenprimroses Blog (part 1 of 2)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County