Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

'Millstone'

nmgirl
16 years ago

Here's a photo of my latest "millstone". I use these for garden stepping stones.

It's about 2 feet in diameter by 3 inches deep. I like big stepping stones, I have big feet. I've found that large stepping stones make it easier for me to work in my garden when moving a wheelbarrow around, setting down bags or plant pots, etc.

To make these I use a water heater overflow pan-plastic, mortar mix and, occasionally, concrete colorant. To carve it I use leather gloves, two old screwdrivers, a Phillips and a standard(flat), a straight edge of some sort to mark out the design, and good old elbow grease. To "age" the thing I use a hammer!

I've made several of these with different patterns which I found on the Web.

If anyone wants more "how-to" detail just post a note.

: )

{{gwi:66684}}

Comments (11)

• daisyme
    16 years ago

You make those? I can't believe it. How wonderful they are! I bet you get requests for them all the time! FABULOUS!

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Wow!!! It's amazing.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I love it, and I really love how big you make them. You're right, the bigger the stepping stones, the easier they are to actually step on! Are those overflow pans something I can get at a Menards, Home Depot or Lowes? Did you have to carve out that square opening? You're brave to use a hammer on it. I'd be afraid I'd bust it after all that hard work!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I saw a fountain made with a millstone and thought it was very cool but it cost a fortune! Your idea would cost a fraction of the price of that fountain. Please share the details!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

those are wonderful!! I love big stepping stones!

Nice work!

~Sandy~

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

Yes, please share. It is great.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

How cool is that??!!??? and just so happens I have a large pan for a water heater in the back room,hehe.......would be good for a warm day project! Everyone will ask where did ya get those antiques and why are ya walkin on em???? lol

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

That is really cool. Can you post more pictures of the other ones you have made? I bet it looks so awesome!!!!!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do have some more photos, but they're not transferred to Photobucket yet. I can also take a few shots of the "stones" I have in my garden. I'm going out of town for a couple of days so if you can allow me that I'll be glad to share the details later in the week.
    Countrygrl: You should be able to find the water heater pans at any DIY place that sells water heaters or replacement parts. I picked up mine at the local Do It Best store. Be sure you purchase a PLASTIC pan, not a metal one.
    I forgot to mention that the hole in the center is made with a square half gallon milk container. I fill it with water so it can withstand the weight of the mortar mix. I also put it in a plastic bag, I use those plastic sleeves that newspapers come in. This makes it easier to remove when you're ready to unmold your creation.
    I'll be back in a couple of days!

• nana0753
    16 years ago

i would like detailed instructions. these look great! thank you for your time.

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

NM Girl: is there anything you can't do....
    girl........... you are one buschel basket full of talent!!!
    Those are double cooooooooooool so
    I guess you would say.

cool 2
    2 cool
    two cool
    tooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooool
    or
    else

cool cool !!!!!
    so
    I say THANKS FOR THE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
    and
    also
    Kuzeen.... I can just picture you when
    you say "he heeee" your brain is ticking...
    and youre just itching to make your stepping stones
    So Friends.....
    Get Ready..... GET SET !!!!!
    Step 2 it !!!!!!!!!!!!!and Step On it !!!!!!!
    Great Ideas !!!!
    TTFN
    God Bless!
    Susiesunshine

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?