Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indigosunshine

what do you think?

indigosunshine
10 years ago

Hey everyone! While it is -50 wind chill today I'm trying to keep warm thinking about spring! This is a picture of the gazebo we made out of an old corn crib. Last summer we picked up a hood from an old truck.....I'm thinking of using it for an awning over the doorway of the gazebo. What do you think? I thought maybe using chains but Tim thinks it needs to be held up with posts so it is more secure (he's usually right!). Looking forward to your opinions! Thanks, Carol

Comments (13)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love it, but that sky is scary!

Did you post a picture of it last summer just covered in vines?

I also vote for the posts for the truck hood awning. Better safe than someone getting a concussion :-)

Is it rusty or painted and will you leave it the way it is or repaint?

I love rust in the garden, but also love bright colors :-)

• mjowest
    10 years ago

Always go with what the guy says. More practical. :)

• indigosunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pkponder, I think this is the picture I posted last summer. The truck hood has a wonderful rusted patina and I love it that way so will not be painting it. I think posts are the way to go.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

WOW so pretty. I feel like post would definitely be your best bet! And rusty is the only way to go!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Beautiful! That is the picture that I was thinking of!

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Love your gazebo made from the corn crib...very cool! I vote for posts too...car hoods are pretty heavy.

Your picture is awesome too!

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

It must be something about the frigid weather and being sick of winter that get's us northerners motivated. I vote for the extra support also.

The first photograph is awesome for giving the feeling of impending storm! I don't think I have ever seen another gazebo made out of a corn crib. What an excellent idea and very pretty!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Isn't it just gorgeous?

Indigosunshine, was your gazebo in a magazine or online article, maybe Facebook or linked from Facebook? I do lurk here a lot, but it seems that I've seen your greenhouse or a similar one somewhere else.

What kind of truck did the hood come from? I'm partial to old fifties Chevy trucks, really curvy and feminine :-) I can't wait to see it!

• indigosunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pk....first of all, I don't know what kind of truck, let you know when we dig it out of the snow! My gazebo wasn't in a magazine. I saw one similar at a garden center in Eau Claire, WI and I am a better imitator than creator! Just happy with the results!
    freezengirl......the first picture was taken after a storm had past! looking towards the sw with the sun just emerging!

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

You are talking to a gal that starts dreaming of spring storms this time of year. As much as I love the beauty of winters too being cooped up to long makes me cranky. Plenty of projects to keep me busy inside too but I think I go through acute withdrawal of having my hands to clean and soft. :-)
    My bedroom faces East and one wall is all sliding glass door. Outside there is a small patio, bird feeding station, septic mound and pipes, corner of propane tank and a long sweeping hill with trees, shrubs and path. I have been sick a lot the last two years so I spend a lot of time resting and looking out at that view. It is actually lovely except for the few things I have to screen out. I have gotten a lot of great ideas here on GW and elsewhere. One thing about winter is that it gives you a real appreciation for forms and spacial relationships. When all the leaves and plants are lush with growth I don't notice mother natures architecture nearly as much.

• greensuzq2
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful setting. Love your gazebo, but you can keep that cold weather. I like my zone 7, even though it is a bit chilly lately all over.

Thanks for sharing.

Suzq

• linjon zone 5
    10 years ago

Love your gazebo. I think the hood with posts would look great.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Very nice setting. Love to come have a cup of coffee and enjoy it!!
    Like the rest I vote for posts.