Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

'Log Birdhouses' from recycled materials

jeannespines
12 years ago

DH saw a pattern for a small log birdhouse ...about 8x8x6 ...& he cut down some old barnwood for these. We don't have much metal lying around but he found an old piece for this...added some roofing nails & wire to hang it...I just used polyurthene on this one.

The other one I stained & we added a 'green roof' from very old 'shutters' we found in a dilapilated barn a couple yrs ago...broken & dirty...DH cut them & they make a great log house roof! I dug thru my 'junk stash' & found this hinge 'pin'...to add to it...thought it looked like a 'light post' in the distance like when we used to come in from the lake in the evening & see the light in front of DH's parent's cabin. Made me smile!

TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:129929}}

{{gwi:129930}}

Cold & snowy here in IA ...would be nice to be cuddled up in front of a fire in one of these log birdhses! ;-)

Comments (22)

• flowers12
    12 years ago

Ilove your birdhouses!

• rafor
    12 years ago

How cute! I love bird houses :)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Me too, rafor & flowers...they make great 'Garden Junk!' Thanks! Jeanne S.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

cute cute cute!!!!!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

They are both nice but love the green roof!! what a nice touch & great way to use up old shutters. They do look cozy. I remember a movie with Julie Andrews & guy on Rockford Files, forgot his name. I think about how they met on a snowy night at nursing home where each had relative in care there & they start out for town & end up in 1 car & get stuck in snowstorm & find his friend's cozy cabin & that was what I thought of when you posted this pic. It was nice movie had a happy ending after some trials & miscommunication! Jan

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Very Cool...gotta great reminder from you posting all your great birdhouses, to add some to "My 2012 Projects List!" You have inspired me and I have put 3 up last year with more to come this yr!

• nonacook
    12 years ago

You inspire me! I hope to make a few birdhouses
    this year. Will look in my 'birdhouse file' at
    some or yours when I start. The two you posted now
    are GREAT! Beautiful! I probably won't make log
    houses tho'.
    That is more work cutting those pieces than I
    want to do....

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Jeanne, your birdhouses are great. They remind me of "Lincoln Logs" from when the kids were young.

sunnyca, is the guy from the movie Jim Garner. He is one of my favorite actors.

Marylee

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

I LOVE the birdhouses! What kind of saw does you DD use?

Thanks for sharing. .... a girl named Max.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, GJers!

max...DH used miter saw for the green 'shutter' roof cause all he had to do was change the length of the pcs, he said. And he used his table saw for making the logs.

calamity...that's cool you made some biredhses this past yr! nana...have fun digging around looking for one to make!

Appreciate your comments, all of you! Jeanne S.

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Thumbs up!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Marvelous! I too thought of lincoln logs. How I loved them as a child!
    Kathy

• stevesue
    12 years ago

Your birdhouses are very cute and I love the hinge pin! Great job and kudos to DH, too!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

You and your DH are a heck of a team Jeanne! LOVE the new birdhouses and I'm sure that you'll have some takers as soon as spring arrives.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

I absolutely LOVE these and I bet the birdies will too. Good job.

http://daydreamsdustbunnies.blogspot.com/

• jayokie
    12 years ago

Don't get to pop in very often but sure glad I had a few minutes today, Those bird houses are really neat!! I'd probably add to the "buildings" I put under/around my Christmas tree for a rustic village. Very nice!

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, absolute cuties!! I have birdhouses all over my yard. Yours are so unique. They will certainly look outstanding in your yard. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

Those are so cute!! And will look terrific out in the gardens!!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Marylee, thanks for supplying James Garner's name!I Googled Julie Andrew/James Garner & movie was"One Special Night" 2002 excellent, clean movie & I watched U Tube video someone made but it didn't show house on outside(so don't know if looked like log cabin-Jeanne's bird houses or not) but rent the movie or maybe library has it & enjoy it sometime this winter, it will warm your heart!!Jan

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, GJers, for all your comments! 'appreciated! Hope you all are finding some Winter projects to work on (& share)! Jeanne S.

(I think I saw that movie, too, sunnyca, but sounds like it's worth a re-rerun!) LOL!

• oldgraymare
    12 years ago

Those are adorable! I love them!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

They are both soooo cute. Love the green roofed one especially. Bet the would sell fast at a craft sales!