Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ess1_gw

old board snowman

ess1
17 years ago

this was fun and sooooooo simple! If you can find a scruffy, old, paint peeling board!

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (26)

• suzyqute
    17 years ago

That is a great snowman ! very creative use of an old board .

• coppertop367
    17 years ago

Oh how cute!!!! I love him!!!

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

That is great. It looks like something I could do...but I probably won't. Sigh.

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

That is so cute and you can leave it out all winter too. It doesn't have to just be for the HOlidays(-: Great job!!!!!

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

How creative!!! I agree this is something that can be enjoyed all winter, and I sure do love snowmen.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Ess1 - now that is a fantastic "vintage" looking snowman from an old board. I love it. Sure hope you don't mind if I copy, my neighbors gave me the seat boards from their now grown kids' little picnic table. They're the perfect size for a snowman like this. Q - what did you use for the carrot nose, a cut-out piece you made or did you buy a wooden carrot nose. If bought, where did you find it? Also, are the buttons painted on, or are those real buttons? Again, I just love it.

Sal

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Well I be doggone if that's not the cutest thing, and NO ONE could mistake it's identity. Very clever and creative. I LOVE it.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

That's my kind of snowman!! Love Love Love him! ~Anj

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Great snowman!

• katladie
    17 years ago

Really cute, looks like something I could do. A set of three in different heights would be cute.

Sharon

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

I love your shabby snowman!
    Another thing on my list of wants.

Hazie

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

NIce rustic snowman. He will be a real eye catcher wherever you put him. Great idea. Luvs

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

OMG, I love him!!! I've got to do me one of those too!!! Thanks so much for sharing him with us.
    Cheri

• ess1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

craftylady-this is one board from bottom to the top of the hat. another "found" board was nailed on top for the hat brim. The carrot nose was a small peice of "soft" wood I whittled to a point and curved the other end. For the eyes, mouth and buttons I used differant size plastic caps, like jar covers, dipped in black paint and stamped on. A couple of twigs nailed to the back side for arms. Have fun !

• party_music50
    17 years ago

That is VERY cute! :)

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

Guess what I got yesterday at $tree. I found jumpropes and the handles were carrots...with the Easter stuff. Guess I could cut the carrots off with some rope..drill a hold and put the rope thru, glueing it and then putting a staple or screw in the rope on back. BUT then I found instead of the egg holders for candy...found carrots...yep. Will be good for small snowman, yeah. I scored. June

• shysue
    16 years ago

I love rustic snowmen. Yours is great!

• rere
    16 years ago

I love it!!! Even I could do that.
    Thanks for sharing
    Re

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

I ~~~~ A D O R E HIM !!!!!
    If I wasn't already married I'd try to hook up with that fella!!! He is just sooooooo charming !!!!!
    I have called a guy... trying to get some old fence board...
    ever since I laid eyes on this smiln' snowman !!!!
    THank you soooooo Much for the pictures !
    thank you for a cooooooool idea !!!
    * * * * * *HAPPY HOLIDAYS * * * **
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T M A S !!!!
    AND a WONDERFUL WINTER !!!!!
    God Bless!
    susiesunshine

• tuscaroramaiden
    16 years ago

Love him!!!!!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I'm glad someone found this one and bumped it back up! It is too cool (yeah the pun is intended!).

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I love rustic things! I love your snowman! Too coooool! Thanks for sharing and inspiring! Kirk

• snickysnacker
    16 years ago

That is darling!! I love him!

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

I'm still trying to get some ole barn wood / or old fence
    to make me this little guy....
    I;m in the city now...'not on the ranch...and I can;t
    seem to get a weathered board...
    EEEK! I'v gotta make this fella.... I need him!!!!!
    hey.... did you use lath to do the brim of his hat>?????
    I pray a person will come thru and share some ole barn wood with me....
    looks like the board is 6" or so....
    WELL M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS!!!!!
    susiesunshine
    * * * * **** I wish I had this guy for the WHOLE WINTER
    He sure looks like he could help me chase away the ole cold
    winter blues....!!!!tee hee!!!

• ess1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the board is about 10" wide and 7 ft tall.
    I used another old board about 3-4" wide( I'm lucky to have a scrap pile) for the hat brim. for the nose I whittled on peice of wood, with a pocket knife, to the carrot shape. I have another shabby white board, susiesunshine, should I bring it over???? good luck finding supplies.

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

YES>>>>> Bring that board...Get over here now...!!!!
    Ho HO !!! thanks for the answer.... I knew it was a wider board... HE is just so DANG CUTE>>> LIKE I SAID>>> if only I wasn't already married >..tee hee...
    If you come now... you'll need snow shoes... or a dog sled...
    and mittens... and ski hat.... etc... (PS don't forget the long johns..) Hey.... what am I talking about.. you are the mother of the SNOWMAN!!!! you are use to this white stuff!!!
    I'm a Texan and it's killing me...
    2 inches of ICE on the ground... 4 inches of snow to nite
    4 more to come on Thursday and 4 more on Satuday....
    I'm a Texan and I can't add very wellllll.... but that is about the same inches as the little snow man !!! EEEEK !!!

Hey ...... * * * * * * * * * let it snow... * * * * * *
    Let it snow * * * * * * * let it snow if I can get that man!
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T MAS!
    susiesunshine
    dang I need some sleep and to get in out of the COLD~~BURR~~