Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowers12_gw

Clear Glass Painting for Garden Junk

flowers12
12 years ago

I'm having a very difficult time finding colored glass plates, saucers etc. for my plate flowers and totems. Is there a way to paint clear glass that doesn't scratch off or fade in the sun? So many of the painted glass that I've seen just scratches right off. If anyone knows I'm sure it will be one of you on this website.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Comments (13)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I think crete did some of this experimenting this past yr ...but any painted glass (like red glass) has peeled for me..but that was glass that came already coated. Jeanne S.

• flowers12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a search for glass painting and found a post suggesting Pebeo Vitrea paint for glass. Has anyone used Pebeo Vitrea paint for glass to paint say, a saucer size plate? Did the brush marks smooth out or did they show? This sounds very interesting and looks as though if a person had any artistic drawing talent (I unfortunately don't) they could really make some very creative plate flowers and totems.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

concrete used some kind of paint that you bake afterwards in the oven (I think) did you try to search 'painted glass flowers' on GJ forum here? Ummmm...can't remember for sure what it was called. Here it is...I posted link below. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted plate flower & .... (concretenprimroses)

• flowers12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

concretenprimroses, Kathy, I love your painting of the plates. I'm interested in painting clear glass saucers with the Pebeo 160 paint. It looks like you painted a bowl red with a yellow center. Was the bowl originally clear glass? I looked on this website and it shows how to paint on clear glass and then put it in the oven to cure. http://www.dickblick.com/products/pebeo-vitrea-160/
    Now I'm wondering how the paint looks if you try to cover the entire saucer, do the brush marks show? Any comments will help. Thanks,
    Marilyn

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Hi,

Yes the pink (magenta) plate with the yellow center was originally clear. The brush strokes show a bit, but the glass is textured so it doesn't really matter.

I need to get it made into something and out in the garden to test before winter is over. I do have a painted plate flower outside (on white plates).

I used Pebeo 150. If you don't like how it looks you can wash it off (before baking). Baking didn't change the appearance except to make it a bit more shiny. I heard the Vitrea is more toxic. Kathy toomuchglass has used this paint too and she says it lasts very well.

I plan to do some more now that the holidays are over. I can't buy the paint locally, but I hope to get to a Michaels soon to pick up another color or 2 (with one of their 50% off coupons!).

We'll have to compare notes.

Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

For the clear glass, I painted on the back side.
    Kathy

• flowers12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, thank you so much for the information. We have both a Michaels and a Joannes here so I hope to find what I need at one of them. I saw where you can order from Amazon also so I'll look for the best price. Maybe I can find a 50% off coupon. I can't wait to try it and I will let you know how it turns out.
    Marilyn

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

I have used this paint to paint on a stained glass door panel. (Inside of the door so not exposed to elements, just heat/cold) The door was facing south and the heat made it eventually peel and curl up. I would be interested to know how your painted plate holds up.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

that's interesting frankielyn. I've heard that leaving the paint on for a month is as good as cooking it. If so it seems like your door should have lasted. I will put my plate out into the hottest garden to test. (Tho won't be able to report till next summer's end on heat)
    Kathy

• dollydee
    12 years ago

Here's a link for painted flowers...I remember seeing several that she did on Etsy. I tried one last year and painted the back then baked in oven, it did fine. Gonna have my 15yr do some for me, she's the one in gifted art class...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Flowers

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Frankielyn, did you use alcohol on the glass before you painted it? I took a glass painting class & they said oils from your hands or the air, etc. will cause paint to fail. So we had to be very careful to only hold the bottom of glass mug or handle. Mine has been inside & is fine after couple of years & it was not baked. Also used Gallery Glass paint on a window in garage facing covered patio so in protected place & it has held up well, for several years now. You have to wipe down glass right before you paint it,& be sure it is dry & then not touch it as you paint.Jan

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Dolly thanks for finding Polly's thread! Good inspiration. They are stunnning aren't they.
    Kathy

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

I did not wipe it down with alcohol so that might have been it.

Sponsored