Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

What would you do?

a.girl.named.max
13 years ago

Attached is a picture of a resin thingy that I'm going to make into a bird feeder. It's about 9" tall and 11" wide. I'm going to put bird seed (or meal worms ... yuck) in the sewing machine drawer on the front of the machine. It's hollow so I'm going drill a few drainage holes in the bottom of the sewing machine drawer.

Question #1. What should I spray on this to protect it from the elements and UV?

Question #2. I need suggestions on how to mount this on top of a pole. As I mentioned, it's hollow inside.

Cute usually isn't my style but it was love at first sight.

Thanks for the help.

{{gwi:130114}}

Comments (7)

• leveta
    13 years ago

That is really cute...You could always spray a sealer on it for extra protection. How to mount it, well my DH does that kinda stuff for me...lol

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Well, the only resin I have outside is a couple squirrels & they've stayed pretty good for a # of yrs...so I would suggest that you use our good ol' totem glue (...GE Silicone II for Windows & Doors) on the bottom of this & glue it to a heavy duty board (like a 2x4) for a base. That board could be screwed into a 4x4 post... I'd set the post first, screw on the board base & then glue your cute sewing machine birdfeeder.

Is "cute-sy!" Have fun! Jeanne S.

• lizzardly
    13 years ago

I left a resin checker board with a drawer underneath to hold the resin peices outside on a bench under the oak tree in the backyard and after a few rainstorms the corners where it was glued started to separate. Before that you couldn't even tell there was a seam there. I'd keep an eye on it and be prepared to relocate it out of the elements. Good luck. It is adorable.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

It's a really cute idea. Think it would need several coats of sealer. Might do best at edge of a protected porch, any chance of hanging it by chains? Jan

• luvs2click
    13 years ago

I have no advice on how to seal it, but my favorite way to mount a feeder or birdhouse is this:

Buy a 6' or longer (I forget what lengths they come in) galvanized threaded pipe and a galvanized floor phlange. You'll also need a pipe cap to fit the end of the threaded pipe.

Somehow, (LOL!) mount the feeder on a board - construction adhesive?? Anyway, once you have it on a board, turn upside down and screw the floor phlange to the bottom of the board (or do so before gluing feeder on)

Place the cap on one end of the pipe and put the other end to the ground and pound into the ground with a small sledge hammer or pipe driver. The pipe cap prevents the threads from being damaged. When pipe feels secure and is at desired depth, remove pipe cap and store for future use, then simply screw the threaded portion of the pipe into the phlange screwed into the bottom of the feeder.

This makes the feeder/birdhouse easy to remove for cleaning and also deters critters from climbing up the pole as it is slippery unlike a wooden post. I also like this method because it makes a small hole in the ground compared to setting a 4" post and can be pulled up later and moved around if desired.

This is really simple with a wooden birdhouse or feeder because the phlange can be screwed directly onto the bottom. I don't have pictures of the individual parts, but here is a photo of one mounted, which should give you an idea. If you still aren't sure what you're looking for, google "galvanized floor phlange", etc. and you'll see pictures. Lowes or any of those kind of stores have the supplies.

Hope this helps. This is the way we mount all our feeders/birdhouses. ~Arlene

{{gwi:130115}}

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Max~

That's going to make an adorable bird feeder! You can drill resin, so you could always drill hole in it and attach it to a board or post of some kind. Luv's idea of attaching it is a great one too. If you're going to screw directly into the resin, it is best to drill your hole first to prevent splitting. I would also suggest spraying it with clear sealer as well...helps preserve the colors. Let us see what you come up with!

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent suggestions. I'll be sure to post another picture when I have it done. Thanks for the help. I can always count on expert advice from fellow garden junkers!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012