Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm going crazy trying to cut a terra cotta pot

Posted by toomuchglass 53172 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 16:47

You would think that cutting a clay pot is easy -- lemme tell ya - it's NOT ! It's 30 degrees out & I was outside with the angle grinder trying to cut it . It just kinda burned a score line in it. I tried tapping it - the breaks went everywhere I DIDN'T want them ! I tried every suggestion I could find online *sigh* - no luck. My poor toad abode needs a door ! Can you help ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm going crazy trying to cut a terra cotta pot

No help from me, 2much, sorry! But when I break a terra cotta pot or the weather breaks it...I stomp on it for pcs for 'mulching!' So 'stomp' on this one & maybe someone else can help you out! If they only break in half, I use them as tipsy 'planters' directly w/plant growing out of the ground. Good luck with a solution! Jeanne S.

o

Were you using a diamond blade?

dcarch

o

I'm not sure what the wheel is made of - I use it to cut metal when I'm welding. It cuts thru metal like butter - this pot is not cooperating !

o

You need a blade that cuts tile also you want to soak it in water for a while.

o

Wrong blade.

Get a diamond blade, not very expensive. Will cut terra cotta like butter.

Get the dry cutting kind. Don't use water, even water cuts much better. Your angle grinder may not be water proof.

Get a face mask. Very dusty.

Make sure the saw blade hole is the right size or you have adapters to make the blade fit.

dcarch

o

You got a Taurus 3? That would work!

o

I was going to suggest a diamond blade or bit or even try a glass cutting tool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here