Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Birds Before/After

lindasewandsew
14 years ago

Bird mirror before.

{{gwi:130306}}

Bird mirror after. Cleaned it up and changed the color.

{{gwi:130307}}

Bird pot before. I drilled the holes before taking the photo.

{{gwi:130308}}

Bird pot after. I sprayed the inside with car undercoating (available at car part stores, added a coat of primer and paint (all exterior products). I painted red and orange just kind of mixed up, then lightly brushed on the brown leaving the red and orange showing. I was trying for a rusty metal look, but it wouldn't fool anyone.

{{gwi:130309}}

Chicken pot before. I drilled the holes before the photo.

{{gwi:130310}}

Chicken pot after. I used the same paints as on the bird pot. Linda

{{gwi:130311}}

Comments (16)

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Great job, that chicken is really snazzy. I'm glad to see some garden projects since the holidays. Soon as DH and I finish the puzzle we are working on I am starting a garden craft project, maybe my first mosiac. Your bird mirror is very unique and I like it.
    Syble

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Wow, sewandsew...I am loving the bird & ck painting results! And that is cool to hang them with the succulents! I am so jealous if they are hanging "outside" right now! Always love your paint jobs!

Unique bird mirror...where is it going? On that fence you are building??? Just a little rib...wondering how you are progressing! TFS your GJ! Good to see! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Luv it all!!! Good job!!!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments.

Jeanne, You may see in the bottle photos that there are actually 2x4s attached to the chain link. That step wasn't something we wanted to do ourselves so we hired a guy to install them. Now, to paint the rest of 120 boards and get the back wall done, and on to the side walls. I put together more wide ones, for a total of 24 and will mix them in. Not sure I want to do the job of putting more of those together in spite of how nice they look. The weather is great here about 360 days a year. It was right at 80° today. It's cool at night, in the 60s or 50s. We're so spoiled here, it hurts us to have to pull out that pesky sweater, lol. I love snow, as long as it's 40 miles away on top of the mountains! Linda

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I love your bird mirror. Did you make it? And love the improvements you made to the bird and chicken pots. I especially like that you turned them into hanging pots. Keep those pictures of beautiful weather coming!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Luna, I didn't make the bird mirror, just picked it up very cheap somewhere and thought a different color would look better. You give me a lot of credit thinking I could make something like that, lol. It'll hang somewhere around the yard under cover, so the mirror doesn't deteriorate too quickly. I put the car undercoating on back to help it last longer. Linda

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Beautiful. You definitely achieved the rusty metal look.
    kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Wow Linda! Great job on all of your creations! I especially like the bird mirror! The black paint really changes the whole feel of the piece....makes the bird pop out! Thanks for the inspiration....especially those of us who are freezing at the moment!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Love the hanging pots, look very expensive!! The antique mirror is a treasure, I love things like that!! 80 degrees, wow even better than in Valley!! I saw on news Great Britain has 10 in. of snow & Fulton, New York 50 inches. Are we lucky or what!!!! Jan

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I love the mirror and the pots. I collect chickens too(-:

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Linda- You are so talented and have a great eye for paint treatments. All of those garden features are gorgeous.

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

You've been making some awesome stuff! I love the paint technique you used, it does look like copper, and using the license plates the way you do is definitely your trademark now! Great art :D

kudzu

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

Great job Linda....but with the rain we are mid 40s here in So. CA....brrrr. Better than the 16deg when I was in TX tho. I especially love that bird in a cage...super

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

Hey Linda nice job and succulents look great in those "rusty chickens" Love the bird mirror too! I showed my family your pics of the Mud Run all were very impressed, me too! Got me moving it was inspirational to me!

Nanagrandma/Sylvia

• kylslil1
    13 years ago

Blech. I hate spam. I am sorry that your lovely post has been invaded. I love your projects! The birdcage really pops now that it's black!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

My favorite is the bird mirror what a difference a differnet color made. The hanging pots are great to what a great paint job you did