Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy1186

Anybody out there on Pinterest?

sandy1186
12 years ago

Hey everyone!

Anybody out there on Pinterest? If not you have to check it out. You guys will go bonkers with all the garden ideas there. Once you get to the website read a little bit about it then hover over the word everything. All the categories will pop up. Click on Garden and wow. Can also search by whatever you are looking for. Example: Fairy houses. They are beautiful. Have also been directed to many cool garden sites. You will be addicted. Don't know how much you can look at without being invited but I know you can look at some stuff. If anybody wants an invite e-mail me and I'll send you one. Happy Pinning.

Sandy

Comments (41)

• chelcass
    12 years ago

I am and so is Marlene. Your right there are some great idea on that site. I have pinned a ton of them.

• kim546
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, this is so fun...I just heard about it Monday and you're right, it's ADDICTING !!! I've only looked at what shows up when you go to site, don't know anything about pinboards or invite. Would love to know more. Not sure how to email sandy,please advise :) Thanks, Kim

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

Kim546,
    Click on (MyPage) to the right of Sandy's name. When you get to the page you'll see the "Send me an email" option in the upper right. Click on it.

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Kim!

When you go to Pinterest click on "About". It will explain all you need to know. Check it out. You have to be invited to see everything and to be able to pin something you like. When you pin something it's kind of like saving it. It goes to a "board" of your choosing. Example: Garden. When you go to your Garden board everything you have pinned shows up there and you can also check out other peoples boards. You can have as many boards as you like. Gardening, recipes, crafts, etc. Hope this makes some sense. Let me know how you make out.

Sandy

• kim546
    12 years ago

Thanks nmgirl and Sandy:)Kim

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

I am on there.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

It says "When you receive an invite, you can register via Facebook Connect or connect through Twitter."

Do you have to be on Facebook or Twitter to participate?

• jlhart76
    12 years ago

No, but if you are you can link your fb or twitter accounts. Then whenever you pin something, it sends an update so all of your friends can see what you've pinned.

Totally hooked. My day: check email, check facebook, check pinterest. Then the day can start.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

I don't think I understand the purpose of it. The pages look like a jumbled, busy, mess. Do you do anything more than "like" something?

(And frankly, this thread sounds like a schill for Pinterest trying to drum up business and send people there-sorry, but that's just my 2 cents)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I think it is a way of saving things that you like in catagories, easily retrievable. Also you can share with friends. Lots of people love it.
    It is a bit too much for me too Beatrice. I feel like I already spend more than enough time on line and not enough time creating!
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I've found it to be lots of fun. It's a great way to save pictures of crafts, garden and garden junk ideas, etc. without having to save them on your computer or print out the pictures. And, you get to see lots of other cool pictures and ideas from everyone else too.

I'm on Pinterest, but I love the GJ forum too!

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

I went over there and went clicking crazy. If you click on a photo of something in the craft section it usually gives directions. I got lots of new ideas. Thanks for another site for some creative stimulation.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

I've heard about it but not sure I should join. I spend so much time on the computer on other sites. I need some time to do other things, like dust the furniture and mop the floor. I'll think about it. I mean pinterest, not dusting and mopping.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry if some of you feel I am trying to drum up business for pinterest. Was just trying to let people know it was a good site to get ideas from. Geez.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

I'm sure it is and I will check it out periodically. Just don't have the time to be active on another site. I appreciate your post. I think we're all looking for ideas.

• jlily
    12 years ago

A very interesting site. You can go and look and enjoy without joining. Good ideas are welcomed by me regardless whence they come!! I need all the help I can get!!LOL
    Enjoy!! Jlily

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I thought it was a really neat site!!TFS Jan

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Thanks Sandy for posting Pinterest, that's what we do here. When we find a site we think other might enjoy we post it here and then it is up to them to decide if they are interested in the site. I for one love the site. It gives so many interesting ideas and I don't have to store anything on my hard drive. It's a Win Win!!

ChelCass

• dollydee
    12 years ago

I'm addicted also! I've been on there a little over a month and love it! I agree with Marlene, it's much easier to find things you like than having to search through all those "favorite places" on your computer and not having to store things on your hard drive. I have garden ideas & lots of great low-cal recipes saved! Tons of info & pix :)

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm just too new at this, or am totally missing something. A site or link does not have to be garden junk specific or related to be posted here?

I've looked at pinterest again and can see how it can be great for some people. I tried doing a search for garden junk and it came up with more items with the term "junk" (funky junk, treasure from junk, etc.) than garden-related stuff. Am I searching wrong? My niece is planning her wedding and I've told her about it.

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm kind of new at this also. I didn't know something had to be garden junk specific to be posted here. I think this will be my last post here. Was just trying to give everyone new ideas.

Pinterest is not just for gardening, but it does have lots of garden ideas. Don't search for garden junk. Just look under garden or search for something more specific. Planters, walkways, garden plans, patios, winter sowing or whatever. There are tons of ideas there.

Sandy

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Pinterest has Garden Junk (funky junk, treasure to junk all qualify) related items therefore qualifing it to be posted here. If you are not finding what you are looking for at that site then trying *Google*

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Sandy, I'm glad you posted about it. I've found all kinds of fun things to look at, gardening and otherwise.
    My only problem is one can only sign up from Facebook or Twitter, which I don't use. I can still enjoy the site, but won't be able to pin anything, which I want to do.
    Anyway, don't let one negative comment chase you away. This is a very friendly and supportive forum.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I haven't joined yet...only because I spend plenty of time on my computer & knew I would be hooked! LOL! But on the national news last week I saw them talk about 'Pinterest' & it sounds like it's the next 'Facebook!' I've looked at others' Pinterest 'pins' & am amazed at all the ideas! Garden Junk certainly fits in!!! So, thank you, Sandy, for your post. Jeanne S.

• kim546
    12 years ago

Sandy, don't go away...if I hadn't of heard on Monday before you posted I would be tickled to learn of a another resource for ideas.I don't facebook or twitter but still can look at pinterest. I would have tried to tell GJ about it but alas, I didn't know enough about it. You were so kind. Please stay and we all can share :) Blessings,Kim

• mjowest
    12 years ago

thanks, Sandy! LOVE it over there!!! I'm ready for the snow to GO so I can get out there again and Junk up my gardens!!!

Pinterest does not have any advertising, just a sharing site- so THANKS for sharing!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

First of all Sandy...Garden Junk is in the eye of the beholder. We LOVE all sorts of things here and I certainly hope that this will NOT be your only post. I too am happy that you posted it and I have found a new love in Pinterest! I was introduced to it from my friends over on the Holiday forum. I plan on using some of the ideas I've pinned on my boards to create new "junk" for my gardens in the spring. So, hang in there...would love to see your yard and garden too, if you have one!

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!

I am just so excited over some of the things I've found there I felt I just had to share. Garden Junk is my favorite forum here. If anyone wants to follow my garden pins just e-mail me. As I said before, you will go bonkers :)

Sandy

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Marlene!

One of these days I'll figure out how to post pictures of my garden. I am computer challenged as my son (the Computer Engineer) tells me. I also got a new camera which I am going to have to take a course to use. The kids picked it out for me for and it does more than I'll ever figure out.

Sandy

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

I joined. Spent 2 hours on it last night. I'm hooked. Need intervention.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Sandy, I'm glad you posted something that is so useful to so many. My apologies if I've ruffled any feathers. In future I'll keep in mind that this forum covers a very broad range. The last thing I want is for someone to feel they have to leave.

Cheers

• sandy1186
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem my dear. We are all getting ideas for spring. Can't wait to see what everybody does with their new ideas.

Sandy :)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

You don't have to sign up thru only Facebook or Twitter to join Pinterest, I used my email address and a password. (Even tho I am on FB too). I just joined Pinterest about a month ago and its totally addictive to someone as photo-obsessed as I am. Most of the old gang here knows how I save pictures. LOL.
    I mostly lurk here these days since I haven't made any GJ things to share in quite sometime. Life got in the way last year. But I try to keep up with what's going on here, and on the Conversations side of GJ too.

Sandy, hang in as this has always been a great Forum. I hope you found our Inspiration Albums with over 1000 photos saved in them, and by categories to make it easy to go to what you want to see.

Karen

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Sandy, as everyone knows, I am the first to point out that things other than garden junk should be posted on the converstaions side of this forum. I have been to pinterest enough, (altho I am not a member) to know that there is enough garden junk there that is was good that you posted about it here. I don't know much abut how to find things there, but have indeed seen lots of junque there. Please don't leave.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Sandy, thank you for posting about it - I have joined recently and LOVE it! Great ideas and inspiration on topics that interest me.
    So, thanks again!
    Natalie

• weave1022
    12 years ago

I am on it.........new to it........ would love to join other "Garden Junk" pinners!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Weave~

Send me an email and I'll look you up on Pinterest. I'll need your name to find you though.

Thanks,
    Marlene

• coppertop367
    12 years ago

I joined it too! Love the site!! so many ideas..Thanks for posting the site!!!!

• melislarge
    12 years ago

The website is awesome...I just went on the waiting list (why there is a waiting list is beyond me!) Anyway, I heard that if you received an invitation from a member, you could bypass the wait. Anyone want to invite me? :) Thanks in advance!

• nmgirl
    12 years ago

I joined awhile back but am just starting to "pin". I haven't looked at other folks stuff much yet, I've been toooooo busy, but I'll get there. One thing I like about Pinterest is the "pin it" option you can put on your tool bar. I've used it when I've come across something on a website I want to save. I like being able to save stuff from websites and not just Pinterest. I think I'll need to be careful though what I "pin". I can see myself getting carried away and pinning so many wonderful ideas that I won't be able to find them later. Like clipping recipes.....

• Betsy Rheaume
    12 years ago

I just started a gardening board on pinterest a couple of weeks ago. I think that means I'm ready for Spring.

I'd like to follow other gardening boards, especially of garden junkers, so if you are on Pinterest could you post your link on here or email me brheaume@gmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Pinterest Board

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner