Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threekittens_ia

Garden Shed w barn board siding

threekittens_ia
13 years ago

Not totally sure this belongs here as its not all old stuff. But a good share of it is.

This shed was built mainly by myself and my 74 y/o dad with some plans I purchased online. My DH also helped some here and there and was a big help at the end with finishing building the trusses and then we could not have gotten the trusses/sheeting up without his help. Only thing we didn't do ourselves is the shingles and that was because we simply ran out of time and needed it done quick before a snowfall came later that week. So hired a guy to shingle it. We started about the 1st of Oct and it was late Nov. or early Dec. the day DH & I put the last battens (little boards between the barn boards) on.

Although it has got new lumber for framing, etc. the siding, windows and door are all salvaged. The siding came from 3 different old farm buildings. The windows also came from one of those buildings and door was $10 from C.L.

This spring I'll add a little porch and a couple of old porch posts my dad already had. And of course flower beds all around it. :)

{{gwi:130335}}

{{gwi:130336}}

{{gwi:130337}}

Can't wait to play with it this spring. Already have it about filled up. :-/

Comments (23)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

threekittens - I really like your shed. Doesn't it give you a sense of accomplishment to have done it yourselves? The recycled siding and windows look neat. Can't wait to see what you do in the spring. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Your shed is just wonderful! Love the way it turned out and the old barn board makes it look very antique! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and welcome to the GJ forum!

• threekittens_ia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Actually, looking at these pics, I don't think the battens were on yet when these were taken. I'll post some pics this summer when I have the porch on and hopefully some flowers around it.
    Lori

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Love it, threekittens! DH & I make bdhouses & feeders out of old barnwood...lasts forever, doesn't it! I love what you & your Dad have built & your DH pitching in when he could, too! You are going to ENJOY that! TFS! & lookin' forward to seeing more pics in nicer weather & your flowers around it! Jeanne S.

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Wonderful project. It sure beats the new metal shed we have. My DH just doesn't get it.

• jlily
    13 years ago

Beautiful shed!! It has personality!! Be sure to show us again this spring- We love pictures. Enjoy! Jlily

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Looks like it will be a nice little retreat to go into & pot away or put a rocker in & some seed books & dream about spring!!Should at least have a chair even if it is getting full. Is the wall without any windows for hanging up tools? I like the windows you have used. Should be nice & light & give seedlings a good start.Might consider shelves that can drop down when you need more room. Nice work DD, DH & You,Lori!! Jan

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Loving it!!
    Barnwood is so much fun to work with!!

Sometimes I miss our land with our log shed..

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

What a great project. I know you'll have years of enjoyment out of it. And please do submit pics in the spring as I can see good additions coming on.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

OH Good Job!!! And now for the fun part...decorating!!!

• deedeeminn
    13 years ago

Love it! Thanks for posting it, its inspiring!

• threekittens_ia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My DH helped me get the new flower bed along the sides and behind the shed tilled last weekend and I planted lots of stuff. Hopefully will start on the porch with posts next weekend.

& I've got an old lawn spreader planted sitting next to the tree.

• joannpalmyra
    12 years ago

Flower boxes for the windows! :D

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Oh boy, that is looking WONDERFUL! You've done some nice landscaping there & will be fun to watch how that grows! Love the windmill, too! This is a BEAUTIFUL save on old doors, windows, barn siding! VERY NICE!!! Glad you are enjoying it! Jeanne S.

• rafor
    12 years ago

Very cute. Love old barn wood. All by itself it brings such personality to anything:) Isn't it fun to have a new focal point in your yard to plant and create around?

• threekittens_ia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My DH cut an old screen door down for me today for my little shed. And then I used an old garden tool for the door handle. Think I'll move the handle lower but I kinda like it. I think the shed is now DONE unless I decide to add a couple old porch posts. If so, that will wait till next summer. Hope these pics work. They are on facebook as I can't get pics to upload where I normally host them.

{{gwi:130338}}

{{gwi:130339}}

{{gwi:130340}}

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

AWESOME!!!

Love the old galvanized containers on your deck front & that old chair, too! Cute door 'handle' idea!

I could see your pics cause I have a FB acct...don't know if everyone else can. TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Very nice! I like the handle & the brick walk matches up so well!A really cute shed & nice spot to take a rest as you garden! Jan

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Not only is this so cute -- you got to build it with your dad. Looking at that shed - it'll always be special.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

COOL! COOL! and COOL! again! Love your shed and the extra touches like the door handle are just great! TFS!

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

You, your dad and your DH did an awesome job on your shed! I love it! Very rustic looking. Love the addition of the screen door and the old garden tool for a handle. I see you didn't let any dust settle under your feet when decorating it! Love your new additions. Can't wait for next spring when you can add some plants and flowers to the mix. Keep those pictures coming!

• jerrie
    12 years ago

Love it!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

AMAZING!!!!

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living