Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Obelisk birdfeeder

luvs2click
16 years ago

Some might remember the obelisk my DH made me out of old decking boards and branches. We used it to grow cukes in my small garden. I found this large birdfeeder at a garage sale for $1, and it fits nicely on top. So now it does double duty. The feeder has a screen bottom and is quite large. We had several inches of snow today again.....I like the first picture better!

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photos

Comments (18)

• rchovey
    16 years ago

Well, isn't that just perfect! Loved the pictures too.

Ramona

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

The birdfeeder looks great on the obelisk. How thoughtful of you to think of the little feathered ones during the cold winter.

Sal

• cait1
    16 years ago

WOW! I love it! The bird feeder addition will certainly be appreciated by the birdies!

Cukes grow so much better when they have something to trail up on.

I really love the snow pic with it being so hot here. Cools me down!!

Cait

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

It looks great up there, like it was made for it! Will you actually put birdseed in it? With it being in your garden, you will probably need to put something in there that won't germinate, right? Or you could put sunflower seeds in there, and you would have a big sunflower patch!! That would look awesome!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

It certainly looks cool! I think it is a great addition come winter or summer. Like countrygrl pointed out, you'll have to be careful if you put seed out for the birds in the spring and summer since they are so prone to kicking seeds around and dropping them. If you put enough mulch down around it, you should be okay. Great find and great job putting it together!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For the winter I've moved it into the yard, actually right outside my living room window. For the summer it will go back into my garden, but I won't be feeding the birds from it during the summer because of the germination factor. Also, I really don't want to draw the birds to the garden - they'll eat all my strawberries! We have other feeders also, but it's kind of neat having one right outside the window. I've been putting sunflower seeds in it this winter and the birds love it! It's so tall I have to climb up on the bottom rungs to fill the feeder! We are on a hill though, so the feeder itself is even with the window and we can watch the birds eating. I've had the feeder stored in our shed for a few years trying to figure out how to mount it since it is screen on the bottom. This seemed to work out like it was made for it.

Cait - you can have our snow, I'll take your sunshine!
    Arlene

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

REally Really a thing of beauty.I love it.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting that again...I never saw it the first time. That looks so nice and the birdfeeder fits perfect!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Very nice!! How tall is the obelisk? Can you reach the feeder easily?

The whole scene is lovely!

~Sandy~

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all - DH thought it looked like a oil derrick in the garden! I think the feeder helps top it off.

Sandy - it's tall. I'm 5'7" and I have to climb up on the bottom rungs to put seed in the feeder! I use a grain scoop, so it's really not a problem though.

Arlene

• kirkus
    16 years ago

Arlene, Your obelisk is nice in all seasons. Just beautiful! Love the addition of the birdfeeder in winter. I've been wanting to put something on the top of our obelisk but haven't found the right item yet...you've motivated me to keep looking! Your vines in summer look soooo cool intertwined in the obelisk! And the setting...so beautiful! I always get inspired by your posts! Thank you for sharing your ideas! Kirk

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

I can't tell about the size of the top from the picture, but if it's not to wide...a nice cobalt blue gazing ball would look great up there in the summer!

~Sandy~

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

When you move it to back to the garden it might be a good idea to remove the feeder...They'll see it expect it to have feed in it...and spy your garden...

I bought a roll of indoor/outdoor grass carpet. I'm going to put it on the ground in about a 5 foot square with landscape timbers around it. stick a potted plant in each corner and set up my birdfeeder in the center. With the hope of NOT growing a weed garden.

I'm still fight weeds where the feeder used to sit.

I love your Obelisk...

I'd like to build one and grow yellow and orange trumpet vine on it.

I bought one of those small wind mills once..the wind tore the blades all apart...so I took the stand part of it and put a wooden ball (like for a porch railing corner) paint the whole thing green and planted a climber on it...That worked good..only now it needs painting again and it is covered with vine.

patti

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Your Pics are so BEAUTIFUL!! Now I know the meaning of Picture Perfect! What Eye Candy! It's a dreary grey day today and your pics are so nice....Jane

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

The flu bug has got me right now and I'm recovering ... so I took a stroll through your garden, luvs, and it brought me hope again! Thanks for posting...I love the oberlisk birdfeeder, too! Jeanne S.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandy - I finally went out and measured the thing - it is a gorgeous 65 degree day here - unheard of for Jan. in Ohio - it feels like spring! Anyway, the top of the obelisk is about 15X15" square (where the feeder is hooked on) and the feeder itself measures about 2' square. The whole thing is 7' tall. It would have to be a HUGE gazing ball to look right up there! I will probably leave the feeder on all summer, just not fill it. My son has it torqued on there pretty good, not sure I CAN get it off.

Arlene

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Arlene,
    Where are you in Ohio? I'm in Sylvania, and the weather tonight is scary! We're under a tornado watch. Very windy out there! Sure hope our garbage cans don't blow away! It's so warm, I have the slider on the porch open. Kitties are lovin' it!

~Sandy~

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am near Ashland. So far we only have a high wind warning. My kitty ventured out of the garage today also out onto the porch and enjoyed the sunshine.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms