Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puggranny

Totem Question

puggranny
13 years ago

I keep looking at all the neat totems and have a question. Some do it with everything turned upside down so water does not gather in them. I also see some that are not turned like the ones with a cup one top. I would like opions on which way is better.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

That's a good question. I hadn't thought of that. That would be a good thing to know before making a totem. I have been gathering bowls and saucers and pitchers, etc but haven't put anything together yet.

• mary2010
    13 years ago

I think its personal preference. I like to do mine with the plates right side up for aesthetic reasons. I do seal any openings in teapots so that water does not collect in them. I do have one customer who requests that I design hers with the plates down so the water does not collect. Hope this helps.

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

I think it also depends on what climate you live in. I'm in Ohio and if I want to keep my totems out all year, I cannot have water collect on them that would freeze and possibly crack the glass. You wouldn't want to keep anything out all year that holds water if you're in a freezing climate; otherwise, just remember to bring them in before the first frost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Garden Creations

• puggranny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the knowledge!!!! You are always so helpful with us newbies!!!

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Great question, Puggranny! I think it is personal preference as well. I agree with garden-potter and freezing temperatures. I place my dishes upside down. Up north here, the standing water causes water stains on more transparent pieces...the stains are difficult to remove. I am constantly scrubbing out the transparent blue birdbath dish. I love totems! Here are 2 I made. :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:130362}}

{{gwi:130363}}

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

I also thank everyone for the helpful information. And Kirk, your totems are beautiful. I also like your bottle tree. I like the shape of it. Did you make the sculpture? It is awesome. - Marylee

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Thank you, Marylee! I bought the tree several years ago through Collections, Etc. WE LOVE IT! :o) Here's another view. Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:130364}}

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Kirk, that tree is so neat. I love it, too. Marylee

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I've only made a few...for myself & a couple gifts ...I need to have the plates turned down ...because of accumulation of "stuff in the air" (I guess you'd call it)...& our Winter's here (like Kirk & Potter above).

This one I keep on my porch (covered area):

{{gwi:130365}}

This one is a birdbath & I spray it out occassionally plus cannot stay out in Winter:
    {{gwi:130366}}

Close-up:

{{gwi:130367}}

The one I keep on my potting table...a lovely bowl dish & bird...gets all yucked up & then I have to use bleach water...I can't find pic right now...but it's worth the work, (I guess)

So, if I make more, it would be "plates down" for outside area..."up" for covered or protected areas ...but that's cause I live in Iowa. Have fun! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I found the pic this afternoon...this is what the "yucked up" bird bowl looks like out in the weather...uggh!

{{gwi:130368}}

And this is how it looked when it's clean!

{{gwi:130369}}

So, FYI, depends on where you're going to put the totems! LOL! I'm with Mary2010...aesthetically, I like the look of the plates turned UP! Jeanne S.

• crazyone
    13 years ago

LOVE the totems and birdbaths.. wow , inspirations to recycle and find treasures.. thanks for sharing

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I love the upward look. Just know I want to leave things out all winter so its not for me.
    Kathy

• poama1
    9 years ago

would any of you please share how you seal the spouts of teapots so water will not collect? Do you use other novelty items with large openings?

Here is a link that might be useful: garden junk forum

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus