Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decompost

Giant Rusted Garden Spider

decompost
13 years ago

Hello junkin' friends, long time no see. :-)

There may be one or two who still remember me, but it's been a while since I have posted here. *blush* I do hope that 2011 will give me more time to visit and participate here, because I sure have sure missed this fun, creative group!

Haven't been completely shiftless though, and to prove it, here's a new creature that has taken up residence at my place.

This giant (friendly) garden spider is made from some wornout cultivating/planting pieces-parts that hubby and I scavenged from his family's farm junk pile.

{{gwi:130376}}

{{gwi:130377}}

In those first 2 pics, Spidey is shown sitting on the back porch immediately after being welded up - but it now lurks in one of my planting beds and is pretty well camoflaged with it's nice, all-over rust patina. It has surprised several unsuspecting garden visitors. :-D *heheh*

{{gwi:130378}}

~Ellie

Comments (17)

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Ok that reminds me of Johnny Quest! I can hear that scary music,he and Hodgey were always finding trouble!Love rusty stuff! This is great!
    tanya

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

He is one scary-lookin' dude! Love rustic stuff...& old found objects is the best! Great recycling! TFS! Jeanne S.

• chelcass
    13 years ago

OK! He is just tooooo Cool. I would love to have him in my shade garden by the fish pond. I gotta learn to weld! ;0

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Spiders creep me out, but I might could make an exception for him. He would no doubt give me a start every time I came upon him. I love the size of him. I wished I lived closer to my brothers, they are good at welding. Hope to be hearing a lot from you this year.
    Frou

• tinfoilhat
    13 years ago

That's great! I love to see things made from farm equipment. Keep those pictures coming.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

You sure grown um big in N.C.!! Nice job! maybe he will scare other critters away!! Jan

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

I love this guy!
    Makes me want to find a way to make some giant spiders for my yard too.
    I live in a forest . . . wouldn't it be fun to have a couple of these hanging way up in the trees!
    Dee

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

One word .... WOW!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Love your spider!
    It is so good to hear from you again!
    I always loved your things!
    Let us see more of you!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

What a great spider. At least he's a friendly one even if he looks scary.

Domehome.....I think you have a neat idea to hang some from the trees......might have to find a way to make some out of something lighter weight! With all the creative folks out there maybe someone can come up with an idea! The challenge is on!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Well how cool is he??? Love him...great job! Glad to have you back on the forum and thanks for sharing your creation with us!

• decompost
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aw, thanks everyone for such a warm welcome back. :-D
    ((Hugs)) to you nona, so good to see you again, too!

I'm really glad that you guys liked this. I do realize that spiders are not everyone's favorite critters, but I've always been quite fascinated by those that live in the garden (so long as they don't jump at me *lol*).

I've shared your nice compliments with my hubby (aka my personal welder *lol*), we both appreciate your kind words.
    Hubby must have enjoyed making the big one because he designed another one himself and presented me with this little guy as a surprise about a week or so later (I LIKE that boy and I just can't help myself! *heheh*):

{{gwi:130379}}

This one he made from an old brass drainplate and he gave it some nice copper legs.
    You can get a sense of just how much smaller it is in the photo below where it appears under the protection of big brother. *lol*
    Notice that the big guy has got some sexy red eyeballs now, too.
    {{gwi:130380}}

Domehome ~ I LOVE your idea of having having one or more spiders in the woods!!! Oooo, yes!! I can just see that, maybe with some big metal webs, as well?!
    I will have to plant a seed of this idea in hubby's mind and see if it gets his creative juices flowing, too. ;-)

Thanks again to one and all,
    ~Ellie

• vallitoo
    13 years ago

I definitely need a spider too.Yours is fabulous.
    I love those industrious little fellows and am going to figure out how to make one without welding.
    Off to the hardware store for inspirational materials.
    Vallitoo.

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

How cool would those be for Halloween!!! Hubby did a fantastic job on those!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Those are just too creative!! You and DH did a great job. Keep up the good work!!

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Great spiders, Ellie!

Giant spiders hanging from trees? ? ?
    Mm-mm-m-m-m-m-m--m--mmmm. . . . . .
    (Wheels turning here)

Got any old 78 RPM records?
    For the body.
    Could be quite easily shaped, I think,
    With a little heat.
    And some 45 RPMs?
    Or maybe an old CD,
    For the head. . . .

Maybe wire coat hanges for legs?
    Not sure how to attach them, though. . .

Rusty

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I was just thinking that if the body plate didn't have a hole and was up the other way it could be a bird bath spider. Maybe an idea for the future?