twomonths

Concrete Sphere

TwoMonths
16 years ago

I was looking for the hollow concrete sphere page

http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/garden-sphere-concrete-tips.html

and found this site:

http://flexteck.stores.yahoo.net/cospmo1.html'

Looks like the prices for these are good ones. Would make good bases for recycled plates and pots for mosaic. I like the concrete balls for some of my plant stands that I have curb shopped.

June

Comments (20)

• nmgirl
    16 years ago

I've used old basketballs to make these.
    I have a friend who uses who mortars over bowling balls and uses them as garden edging. She says it's the first garden edging that her humongous dog hasn't either rearranged or destroyed.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I have read posts at the Hypertufa forum about using beach balls and basketballs as molds for hypertufa spheres. If I had the work space (I live in an apartment), I'd love to try them. Do a search on "spheres" and see what you come up with!

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi June, That's really cool. I don't think I'll have time to make any for a long time, but it would be fun. Linda

• jannoel_gw
    16 years ago

I made one using hypertufa and a replacement glass globe from a light fixture. After the hypertufa set, I broke the glass. People also use fish bowls but they are flat on the bottom whereas the light fixtures are round. You don't need to seal it, especially if you move it inside for the winter, but I sealed mine with a deck water seal because I like the slight sheen it gives.

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I think the beach ball would work fine...BUT you would need something like a wash tub to put sand in to support it.

I think I'll look into that this summer.

I have wanted to make the leaves for a cascading water feature for years now...Maybe I'll get the energy going this year.

patti

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

OOPS...not a beach ball...but one of those great big rubber bouncy balls...I think a beach ball would be way to flimsy.

patti

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

June, I personally do not have experience but I do know one that has---my MIL! She used just regular ole' concrete. For the mold she used the plastic forms that come around certain toys like balls and such. If she was buying a present for one of the grandkids she's just recycle the packaging for the mold....I bet you could buy those cheap beach balls from a dollar store over the summer to be the forms....
    Hope your balls turnout fine. :-)
    Love, Jules

• cait1
    16 years ago

I LOVE them!!
    Another project on my 'to-do' list!!
    Can't wait to see what you do!
    Cait

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

so funny to see this post considering what I'm doing right now.

{{gwi:130406}}

being built over a childs rubber ball to be mosaiked as a gazing globe

• TwoMonths
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gardengal asked for the pic of the sphere with the uneven edges over on actrouments.I was looking for that in my files (not found). I went to do an online search. I found the one gardengal wanted and informed her. I found the other site that had edging and other things and thought this group might like to see the site. I posted it. I am not making a sphere at this time But thanks for the suggestions for other readers. goodthyme, looks like you have a good start there. Hope we see the pics when done. June

• klinger
    16 years ago

Here's one that I made. I used a large exersize ball. Painted the inside black, the outside the vibrant blue, and put a mister with a green light in it. It looks cool in the garden with the green mist coming out of it,
    {{gwi:130407}}

• elulu
    16 years ago

I find this to be fascinating. I would like to try this. Am I understanding correctly, that all one does is plaster the concrete mix on the outside of a mold the way paper mache is done?

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

klinger...., that's very reminescent of li'l and lewis...
    were you on garden junk, when JeaninWa, in my area and I went over there, to visit their place?...back in '04?

Becky

• TwoMonths
    Original Author
    16 years ago

elulu I saw my directions originally here:
    http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/garden-sphere-concrete-tips.html
    But I have never made any myself.

• klinger
    16 years ago

I was on garden junk back in 04. I so would love to go and visit their garden.I remember when you and Jean went. These spheres are pretty cool looking in the garden, they're not hard to make but require a bit of patience, Here's another one I started and then finally gave up on cause of slump. Just couldn't get the mix to cooperate. I made it into a planter,
    {{gwi:130408}}

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I remember when Ya'll made the visit to Little and Lewis!
    As I have said before-that's one of my most favorite
    web sites! I have been here since 1998, so have just about everything---LOLOL
    I love the spheres, but have never made one.

• jeaninwa
    16 years ago

Becky, we should plan another trip there this summer! See what's new. Hadn't they bought the house and property next door? I wonder what they've done with it!

Jean

• kcredcat
    16 years ago

Glad to find this posting as a new garden junk 'junkie' (lurker for awhile here) I'm hoping to start creating various 'yard art' for around our new house and the gardens/beds I've been working on. Thanks twomonths and all for the links and pics! nicethyme, wondering what you are using to cover that child's ball? I know I saw a tute or something on some tv show, can't recall where or what show now though! I bought a couple of $ store small kid's balls to do mosaics with and figured I'd figure out a way or stumble upon a site with the info. Looking forward to seeing more of the neato things I've been in awe of while lurking. I'm a polymer clay artist and have tried most crafts before and because of that 'addiction', and the ability to use almost anything with that type of clay! I have lots of 'collections' that I'm sure will come in handy for garden art. Thanks again!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OH kcredcat, you NEED to join us at the mosaic and stained glass forum!!!! LOL

I'm using 1-2 cement and sand mix with drywall tape. But I may switch to a paper crete recipe for the finish coat to get a more refined finish.

Laurel True did a tutorial on this at DIY, it's online somewhere but I can't find the link just now till IVILLIAGE FIXES OUR SEARCH ENGINE (hint hint hint!!!)

• TwoMonths
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just used my normal search machine and found the following. The site at top has a tutorial for one type and Laurels was more mosaic. her web site: http://www.truemosaics.com/

MOSAIC GARDEN SPHERE ON D.I.Y NETWORK
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dclb/episode/0,3110,DIY_27278_42407,00.html
    "Guest Laurel True joins host Jennifer Perkins and demonstrates how to take a ball from a toy store and cover it with mesh and a concrete-like paper mâché coating. She then draws a design on the hard surface. She shows how to score mirror glass and trim the glass with nippers. Next, she shows how to apply glass and tile to the concrete form and lastly applies grout and glitter. "

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio