Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Cement rocks with whimsy faces FINISHED!

mangomoon
16 years ago

Ok, I finally got around to finishing my whimsy rock face molds. I let them cure for a week, then took the advice of many on this forum (thank you...thank you...thank you...), of giving them a wash then sealing them.

I used earth tones. Terra cotta, blue and green acrylic paint and lots of water on the brush to create a washed look, sort of like aged patina, instead of painting them. I am so glad I did not paint them. After they dried, I sealed them with Krylon.

I also decided to pull my cement angel from the garden, and get rid of that boring gray cement and give her a make over as well. I love the way the terra cotta sweep across her face looks. It gives her an aged patina look! Totally pleased with the results, over just dying the cement!

The little rock faces look better in person. They seem to look to gray in the photo because we are expecting another mud storm out here in CA and the sky is gray looking. Doesn't help the photos much!

{{gwi:130437}}

{{gwi:130438}}

Comments (20)

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

How great they look. What a good job. congratulations. Yep, looking gray and ready to rain up in Riverside CA. also. Got your umbrella and boat ready????

• daisyme
    16 years ago

For those of us that missed your original posting on these, could you tell us what you've done here? Did you make a mold and then pour in cement? What was the mold made of? They are so unique! Great job!

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

Too cute! I like the color wash, it's subtle, yet adds a pop.

• craft4fun
    16 years ago

I love these. You did a wonderful job on them.

Jen

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

twomonths: sail on by. I may need to ride on your boat if we get what is expected. LOLL

Daisyme: Sure! The molds are latex, lasting re-usable. I purchased the one mold on eBay. I used Quickcrete cement and poured into the mold. Next day, took it out to cure and repeated the process until I had 2 more. Let them cure one week, then brushed the acrylic paint over them, as a wash using 90% water and 10% color. Waited until dry, then sprayed with Krylon sealer.

Each one is about a little over 3" wide and they have a nice base on the bottom, so they can stand up on their own. The mold is such that it is like a rock all the way around. It isn't flat on the rear side.

Hope that helps!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Great friends for the garden

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

The face casts are very cool but I love what you did with the angel too! I imagine she looks much better because the color brings out the form. Great job!

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Those are very funny. Nice job. I recently bought some car undercoat spray that someone on this forum recommended for sealant. It's black, but paintable, and can be used on just about anything. It's so easy to use, I'm going ot use it under the paint on everything outside. It's available at auto parts stores. Linda

• meadel
    16 years ago

Oh I LOVE those!
    I can't wait for better weather to do cement again!
    Those were cast in a sand bed right ? Was it difficult to remove mold?
    Any links on where you got them ???
    Lori

• mzclassic
    16 years ago

Those are just as cute as they can be. You did a really great job of them.

Donna in Florida

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lori,

very easy. They are latex molds; re-usable. Because you are actually pouring the mixture into the mold which is upside down (head first), it will come out like one whole rock, not flat like my angel is. It wasn't a sand cast project. The mold comes with a back up and you sit the latex in that to hold it upside so you can fill it. To make sure it would not tip over until the cement set, I put the mold in the back up, over the top opening of an unused flower pot. Done the next day. You just slip the latex off.

You can search 'rock mold' or 'rock face' mold on eBay. I purchased the mold.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

How cute!!

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Try this site for grote faces.

Http://wyleesee.50megs.com/

Click on the 'words' grote instructions--your get an error messege on the 'face'
    You could use this info on any faces if you sculpt.

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NONACOOK: I have seen that site several times, which is what prompted me to go look for something similar for my garden, but if you read her instructions, it is a HELLUVA job, with the mixing, collection of soup cans, this and that...whew! I wanted something similar without all of the work and clean up.

• lilym
    16 years ago

Hi there mango, love those.

• kirkus
    16 years ago

I am so inspired by your "rocks"! Thanks for the directions! How great it will be to see them peeking out in your gardens! You have just added to my list of things I want to do...and my wife Carol wonders why I never get to my Honey-Do list! LOL Thanks for sharing a great idea!!!! Kirk

• countryhomeschoolin
    16 years ago

Those rock faces are the bomb! I will have to get me a mold -I wonder if you could set marbles in for the eyeballs?

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Mangomoon ... I LOVE your cement rocks so I had to go looking on e-bay after you posted and today my package arrived with a couple molds. They are flat ones with silly faces! I am anxious to try them...but need a bit better weather. Thanks for sharing your expertise on this!
    Jeanne S.

• tehuti
    16 years ago

Great work.

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeanne: I am so glad you were inspired to go buy some molds. I know you will have fun with your creations. Hope to see pix of your stuff too!