Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A small bird find

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi everyone! Had to share a small find from today. My wife went to a baby shower so I I took my two kids with me thrifting in our small nearby towns. Found all kinds of treasures! :o)

We stopped at our favorite thrift store, and one of the things I found was a little heavy stone bird for 50 cents that I thought I could put outside in the spring. The bird was painted a goldish, brown color. I started cleaning it, and the paint started coming off. Not stone afterall. A beautiful, white glass bird was underneath! It has handpainted flowers on it with a signature on the bottom. I looked up the artist and her items were selling for $15-$20. I can't wait to surprise my wife with it. I think the bird is beautiful. I originally thought of placing the bird in a birdbath...now I'm not so sure. :o) A fun find! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here's a picture of the pretty bird:

{{gwi:130483}}

Comments (18)

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

Yes that bird is so pretty!! Hard to believe someone would paint over that! And value to boot! You scored!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shabby Garden Creations

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Wonderful bird!!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

What a sweet bird that is! Love the violet flowers & beak! Carol may want to keep it in the house as would be adorable on the kitchen windowsill, would sure bring a smile to my face every time I saw it! Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan... You were so close as to what became of the pretty bird once Carol saw it tonight! She asked, "Is it mine?" Once I said, "Yes.", she immediately placed it with my late mother's teacup collection. I must say it was a perfect match with the teacup set she placed it with. Soooo, it'll be inside... for now... Maybe in the future, the pretty bird will end up outside in a birdbath....maybe.... :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:130484}}

• puggranny
    13 years ago

Oh what a find!!!!!! It goes perfect with the teacup set!!! You did good today!!!!!

• cait1
    13 years ago

Very pretty. But it may be a bit too delicate to put outside, though I love your birdbath idea.

• jlily
    13 years ago

Beautiful little bird. I love it with the teacup set. You did good! Enjoy! Jlily

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great find...truly a diamond in the rough! It looks great with Carol's mom's teacup...so you might have to find another birdbath birdie my friend! ;-)

• meandmom
    13 years ago

Hi-been a lurker for about a yr. and really love this site!All you guys and your ideas are so great. Not a day goes by that I don't check to see what everyone has been up to-I've never posted before but had to today when I saw the little bird-it looks like a FENTON art glass piece! She looks like a piece from the violets in the snow collection. Maybe worth more than 20 bucks. But I love where she's sitting looks like thats what she was made for! Enjoy
    meandmom

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't think the bird will be heading outside anytime soom. Carol said so! LOL Thanks meandmom! (And welcome to the forum!) I looked up the bird, and it is Fenton glass from the vilolets in the snow collection. To think someone would paint over such a pretty bird. I'm so glad I found this treasure! :o)

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

That is a darling vignette!
    Tanya

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Now THAT is a tweet find!! ;) Very pretty & how perfectly it goes with your late mother's set! It was meant to be.

• mary2010
    13 years ago

What a lovely find you made!! It looks perfect with the tea set. Good thing I didn't find it . . . it would be sitting on top of a totem for sure.

Enjoy!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

who is the artist?...that's the kind of porcelain painting that I've been doing now, for heading for 4 years, come the end of April.
    I have a few blank birds, like the one you have..
    it'd be fun to see who she is and if she's a PPIO member..porcelain painters international organization...

you sure did score there!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

What a treasure!! It's perfect where it is. It needs to stay there.....or you can send it to me.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your kind comments! Laura, head on over the mountains, and come and get it! :o) I might even show you our favorite thrift shop! :o) Mary2010, what an honor it would be to have you place the bird in a totem as your totems are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Strawberrygoat, the signature says "Handpainted by Kay C." who is an artist at Fenton Glass. Saw her name on several Fenton items online.

Love our little bird...such a find! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• desertrat1
    13 years ago

What a tresure to find--especially since it was hidden under all that ugly paint. Wow, Fenton Glass!!!! Sweet find!!! What would have been absolutely perfect would be if it was painted in purple pansies! But I say close enough and great match! I say keep it in.
    Now, I've got tomake some magic and find some items today...;~)
    Have a fabulous Friday!
    Love, Jules

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Sweet! I love it with the teacups.
    Kathy