Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evilei

? about making the totems

evilei
18 years ago

Hi All.

I have been checking out the different forums and fell in love with all of the totems I keep seeing on this board. From the blue one, the green one to hawaii.

My questions:

How tall are these?

What are you using to hold them together?

Do you leave them outside in the frost in winter?

Doesn't the wind blow em over?

I'm sooooo intriqued!!

Ei

Comments (46)

• katladie
    18 years ago

If you do an insite search for totems you will find out quite a bit of information.

Most people use GE Silicone II for windows and doors. If you are making a free standing totem, a large plate or bowl on the bottom helps to stabilize it, especially if you cover the plate with mulch or dirt. I quess the height is your own personal preference, you will know when it looks right. I have left mine out overwinter, but I live in the deep South and we rarely have hard freezes. Make sure all of your pieces are placed to where they do not hold water, unless of course you are making a bird bath. In other words if you use a saucer place it upside down.

I hope this info helps, there is a lot of good info in all of the threads on totems.

Sharon

• donna37
    18 years ago

This is the only one I have made so far, it's about 2-1/2 ft. tall. Used Silicone II to glue parts together and it has sat out in my small flower garden for 3 winters now, thru, rain, snow and ice and very windy days. The bottom is a very heavy plate. The top piece is a votive cup and piece beneath has a hole in top that the cup fit in perfectly. I can take it out and drain any rain water that accumulates. I intend to make many more as I have enough glass stuff now for at least a dozen! lol.
    Donna

{{gwi:130499}}

• Bright199
    18 years ago

Be very, very careful... they are addicting!!LOL! I use GE Silicone II which I find in Home Depot. It comes in two sizes a small tube and one that looks like caulk which requires a caulking gun. I have both sizes. For the bottom I usually use a glass tray that originally came out of a microwave. They sell them at thrift stores around here for around $2. They are very heavy. The two I created this last summer are still outside. After the Ice storm we had they still look ok. I'm thinking of bringing them into the basement if we get bad weather again. I have parts for a green one and a gold one...need some more parts!!! And remember we love to see lots of photos of your projects.
    {{gwi:130500}}

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

The above suggestions are all great. GE silicone II for outdoor caulking uses, yes. Heavy bottom piece, yes. I've used upside down heavy flower pots and large heavy plates. The first piece needs to be sturdy, it can be hidden or even buried a bit to make the piece stable.

Weathering depends on whether there's any moisture inside the pieces to freeze when the temps drop. I lay mine on their sides in the mulch in the worst weather, including windstorms and freezes. When hurricanes threaten, I put them inside the shed. Ordinary wind won't blow over a well-constructed totem with a heavy base. I wouldn't leave them out in winter to be covered with snow and ice and falling limbs, but that's not an issue here.

I decided that a maximum of 48 inches would be as tall as might be practical and that would be a piece made of large, well balanced pieces. Thirty eight inches was really as tall as I could manage easily, constructing in two or three pieces that I then put together when those were dry and ready to assemble together.

It would be better to make small, delicate pieces into a shorter totem. Donna's 30 inch totem is about as tall as you can safely make with a large vase and some tumblers and things. A lamp base with the metal parts removed makes a good base for a bigger totem. Obviously, big fat pieces on the bottom make a piece more stable.

Be aware that sometimes a totem will fail or fall. Breakage does happen, just as in taking items from a cupboard.

Nell

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

The above suggestions are all great. GE silicone II for outdoor caulking uses, yes. Heavy bottom piece, yes. I've used upside down heavy flower pots and large heavy plates. The first piece needs to be sturdy, it can be hidden or even buried a bit to make the piece stable.

Weathering depends on whether there's any moisture inside the pieces to freeze when the temps drop. I lay mine on their sides in the mulch in the worst weather, including windstorms and freezes. When hurricanes threaten, I put them inside the shed. Ordinary wind won't blow over a well-constructed totem with a heavy base. I wouldn't leave them out in winter to be covered with snow and ice and falling limbs, but that's not an issue here.

I decided that a maximum of 48 inches would be as tall as might be practical and that would be a piece made of large, well balanced pieces. Thirty eight inches was really as tall as I could manage easily, constructing in two or three pieces that I then put together when those were dry and ready to assemble together.

It would be better to make small, delicate pieces into a shorter totem. Donna's 30 inch totem is about as tall as you can safely make with a large vase and some tumblers and things. A lamp base with the metal parts removed makes a good base for a bigger totem. Obviously, big fat pieces on the bottom make a piece more stable.

Be aware that sometimes a totem will fail or fall. Breakage does happen, just as in taking items from a cupboard.

Nell

• evilei
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, thank you all so much for your suggestions & expertise.

I was supposed to be putting away all of my christmas stuff today but first I had to hit a few thrift shops to look for totem parts! Then after I got home I started putting away the stuff & low & behold, everything was new and a potential piece of my totem! It's crazy, I already have two sort of thought up.

The parts I have measure approx 26". What I was thinking of doing was mounting them onto a something which would then be mounted on top of a piece of copper pipe. Then I thought I could pound a fairly long piece of rebar into the ground with about a 10 or 12" portion above the ground to slip the copper pipe over. I think it'd be sturdy & I'd still be able to easily remove it for winter.

Now how can I mount a flat thing on top of a copper pipe? Like a T. Probably a whole nother forum on this website for that question.

And don't worry I'll be posting pictures!

• katladie
    18 years ago

I use a basic bud vase and glue it upside down to the bottom piece of the totem. It fits over the pipe. I find them at GS's and TS's, but Wal Mart has them in the floral dept. The one's I use fit over a three quarter inch pipe, and can be removed eaisly. If you are not sure of the size opening in the vase bring it with you when you go to get your pipe and fit it. After a while you will be able to tell which vases fit which size pipe. If the vase wobbles a bit on the pipe just wrap packaging tape around the pipe where the narrow part of the vase will fit. This tightens it up nicely.

Sharon

• Calamity_J
    18 years ago

I like to use colored glass items,I use marine silicone, I swear by the stuff.This totem is about 3ft high and made with some purpley colored glass vases and clear ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:130493}}

• nonacook
    18 years ago

Calimity, I love your totem, because of the amythest glass! I won't use that color on totems, because I collect that color. Anyway, I like yours!

• foxglove44
    18 years ago

here are a few of my totems

Here is a link that might be useful: foxglove's totems

• evilei
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG, you guys are awesome!

katladie, pure genious with the bud vase, that's what I'll do!

I can see it must be addictive by all of foxglove's creations.

Thanks again.
    Ei

• techsupport8
    18 years ago

I have several mounted on large copper pipe. Mounting them on pipe gives you more height but less stability. If the pipe tilts, so does your totem . . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots garden junk

• Calamity_J
    18 years ago

Here's one I did that was 4ft tall!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:130494}}

• Calamity_J
    18 years ago

here's a amber one that is 1ft high, sideways unfortunatley!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:130495}}

• TwoMonths
    18 years ago

man, where have these totems been, I thought I had seen them all posted already...wow great ones.

clamity I thought you meant it fell over or broke...lol. it is great even sideways...looks rather asian like...great.

Now I made one with an olive jar on the bottom and a bowl on top to use for a small watering dish for the hummingbirds that go to a particular plant. the bush had a landscape pole? in the ground beside it to keep it trained up...and it fit beautifully. And it is 5 feet in the air.... June

• tradewind_64
    18 years ago

evilei, I have only made one and it's too cold for it to go outside so I have NO idea if it will stand up, to, well, anything. Ha. To all the totem makers, thank you for posting these other totem pics, I just love seeing them. I am saving them in my GJ file. Calamity_j, that amber one has a asian tea garden look, very zen! And your dogs are super cute :-) techsupport, how tall are those crystal totems on the copper piping? foxglove, my favorite of yours was the turquoise-leaf-bowl-topped one...too cool. bright, is that flower at the base attached (is it part of the totem)? donna, I really like the idea of a votive on top. I can't wait to see your new totems...hurry! :-)

• rspiders
    18 years ago

I am SO glad you asked those questions!! I used some kind of silicone but don't remember the name of it. I got it at Lowe's and it's outdoor/ waterproof. I got so excited about making one I just couldn't wait to come back and ask so I just picked the one I thought would do the best. My problem is that I'm STILL waiting on them to dry!! I did several short ones that will stack on each other when they dry. How do ya'll keep them upright while they dry? I also have already named one and I can't wait to show her off!!
    techsupport - I loved your pics! Now I'm going to be on the lookout for sconces!! I just LOVE the idea! and the BB!
    calamity- I just LOVE the amber one and double love the purple it's my favorite color!
    Today was trash day in my neighborhood and I was eyeballing everybody's. I was a bit frustrated my all the boxes because I was just POSITIVE there were all sorts of "good" junk in them!! lol
    Now that I know I'm not out of my mind because I love junk I'll admit that I haven't been bitten by the junk bug I'm ate up with it!

Rebecca

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

I make a lot of them on copper stakes. This one my MIL took...{{gwi:129862}}

These are 3 that I sold...

{{gwi:130501}}

I sold this one within seconds of putting it out!

{{gwi:130502}}

I glue a copper fitting (often called reducing fittings, they're bigger on one end than on the other) into the bottom of the lowest piece. Then this sits securely onto the copper rod, without wiggling. You can see it sticking out of the bottom of the blue/silver totem. I use Plumbers GOOP for gluing the copper to glass...DO NOT USE GE SIL II for that, it won't work!!

I don't make them over 24" usually, if I do, then I put them on lower copper stakes.

Just the other day I checked at Lowes, and 10 foot copper stakes were going for $7.09. I almost croaked! At Christmas time they were under $5.50. That was for the 1/2" copper. I like to put the totem stakes on 3/4" copper, but it's around $10 a piece now. Yikes!!

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

I made my first two totems just before Christmas. I only made them about 18" tall though. I have a 7 month old border collie puppy who loves to run and play and tumble around our acreage and so...I will be placing them outside come summer, but I will place them somewhere she will hopefully not knock over.

Calamity...the top of your amber totem...I have a candy dish with the same lid!!! My dish with lid was given to my by my grandparents about 30 years ago as a Christmas gift. Mine, though, is in the irredescent coloring. Some of it looks purple, some green, some blue. I use it for a candy dish. I will always keep it as a memory from my grandparents.

I will be doing a talk on garden art at a hort day in a few months. That is why I made the totems. Here in Manitoba I know of no one who has a totem that they have made for their yard. So...I made 2 to "show and tell" with for my talk. I used Weldbond to "glue" it together. Does anyone have experience with Weldbond glue? I did not have any Silicone II in the house so I used Weldbond. What about "preserving" my totem...meaning that in the winter I probably should bring it inside, correct??? I do like the idea of recommending to others not to have an open cup shaped area in the totem that will collect water. That would also collect water...then dust.. then leaves...and look dirty.

Pesky, how much would the totems you made sell for? Also...how long is the copper pipe that you are using as a stand for your totems? How far is it going into the ground?

• evilei
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So then Pesky you are actually screwing the totem onto your copper pipe, correct?

You know what else I was thinking? You could probably make shorter ones & use them as hose guides. You know so that the hose doesn't mess up your flowers as you drag it around. Probably about a total of say a foot tall.

Oh I have been burning the midnight oil on these things!

Next weekend I'm going away with my girlfriends & part of the plan is thrift shopping so I'm not going to start anything until I see what I come home with.
    Ei

• Bright199
    18 years ago

Mosaics and totems my most fav. things in the world!!!
    Valley... I used weldbond on my first totem and it didn't hold!!! Several pieces broke when it came apart and came tumbling down. I won't ever use it again.
    Pesky you know why prices are higher?? Because all of the rebuilding from last years hurricanes. Everything has gone up especially lumber.
    Would love to know where you all find the wonderful colored glass. It's hard to live in a small town. I love seeing everyone's pictures.

• gwen
    18 years ago

i have noticed that the copper pipe has gotten almost outrageous. i have made a few with it, but since its gotten
    so high i have started using conduit and spray painting it
    with the hammered copper spray paint. so far so good, it hasn't chipped or came off...so far. i just have to let it set up to dry good. it may not work for everybody but like i said so far so good. :-)
    gwen

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

Mine were selling last season for around $30 each. I made the pipes about 40", and usually instructed people to slip them down over rebar that was pounded into the ground. I suggested going at least 4" down with the copper.

I have been thinking of using conduit, but can't find fittings in the sizes I need, and you can't put copper onto the conduit. So, because I like using the copper, I've decided to take my pieces to other outlets than where I usually sell them, and up the prices. Even at the usual location I could get more for them, but I don't (or didn't) have that much into them as I would buy all my supplies in bulk, thereby cutting my costs down.

I once priced it out for someone who had to go buy the materials individually and it would cost nearly as much as what I sold them for, but by buying supplies in bulk, I cut costs to less than 1/5 the selling price usually.

• katladie
    18 years ago

I don't know if it's proper to discuss price, but that is what I sell mine for also. I could probably get more. I don't pay over $1.00 for a piece of glass. If I use 6 or 7 pieces, and $5.00 for the pipe, plus the silicone, I usually have less than $15.00 dollars invested in a totem. I plan on making some up and doing a booth at our local flea market this spring. I had a lot of interest in them at a craft show I did in Nov., sold two out of the three I had done up, and have sold 3 more since then.

I also make jewelry and I keep pics of my totems with me. When I show my jewelry to my customers I also show them the totem pics. Everyone loves them and of course it is something totally new, that no one else has.

Pesky, where do you buy bulk glassware at? I love your totems, thanks for sharing your creativity. As soon as I get a new camera I will post some of my totems.

Sharon

• lilpeaches
    18 years ago

You ladies are great!! Although I thought the totems were pretty I just never could see me having one in my yard but after seeing this new collection - YOU HAVE CORRUPTED ME!! So thanks for giving me another inspiring project and another reason to get more junk!! Foxglove - I like the totem with the bird on top! It is such a cute bird! Pesky - I especially like the blue and silver one!

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

I'm in a hurry...DHs on his way home for dinner and son-inlaw in installing a toilet in one of the bathrooms...but has anyone mentioned sealing each piece very well with the silicone? Otherwise they will get moisture inside and sweat!

And a tip: Windex cleans the excess off of the glass very well.

Here are my favorite ones!

{{gwi:130503}}

~Sandy~

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

Sharon, I buy my glass at GS, pick up stuff wherever I go, so I don't usually get that in bulk. My copper and fittings and nuts/bolts/glues, etc I buy in bulk. Also buy my drill bits in bulk, saves a bundle!

• beachcat
    18 years ago

Just thought I'd add a no-no to this post. I used the spray foam insulation to secure a piece of pipe into a clear vase and it turned a really ugly brown color when it cured. Anyone else have no-no's to add?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:130496}}

• katladie
    18 years ago

Oh, beachcraft, I love her. Her bonnet is absolutely fantastic. Is that cloth flowers or plastic. I have been looking for some ceramic or plastic resin bouquets to use on a lady I am making, but those look great.

Sharon

• neetsiepie
    18 years ago

Superglue
    Liquid Nails Clear
    Welbond (I think that is the name, comes in a silver tube and is like LN or GOOP)
    Gorilla Glue or any expandable glues
    All not good and won't hold up to weather.

I've found GE Sil II doesn't adehere metal to glass, particularly copper, but that's just my experience.

• foxglove44
    18 years ago

Plumbers goop does adhere metal to glass
    Betsy

• katladie
    18 years ago

Try these for inspiration:

http://community.webshots.com/album/360554005ijWHWu

Sharon

• katladie
    17 years ago

bump

• barefootin
    17 years ago

How beautiful her stuff is! wow what inspiration too!i need more glass...I need more glass...lol

katladie, thanks for bumping this up, I haven't seen it till now, and before I even joined or posted anything, I was a lurker...and went thru every post on every page there was!...LOL...then I joined..i couldn't control myself any longer..I had to GJ too!

Sherrie

• manzomecorvus
    17 years ago

Hey y'all,

I am bumping this again. I read this a while ago, collected my pieces, then couldn't find the thread at first-y'all have a lot of threads on glass totems!

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Here is my totem. I used a stained glass kitchen chandelier as the base and then used the light part for candle holders. It's real pretty lit up at night. I used Liquid Nails and it seems to be holding up very well. For winter, I will bring it in though.

Sal

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:130497}}

• kweenofkings
    17 years ago

Here's one of my latest. Couldn't get a detailed picture. I've decided I like them better sitting on a heavy base on the ground than on a stake. I couldn't seem to get them stable enough
    {{gwi:130504}}!

• rosellarose
    17 years ago

Question about cleaning glass: I found a couple beautiful textured pieces for totems at a YS...but someone had previously painted them with a thin reddish paint. It chipped off really easy, and I got 98% of it off with just steel wool. Can anyone suggest a cleaner or something that would take the last bits off the grooves of the glass? They are so pretty, and would make great totems. (disappointed they weren't really red though!) thanks for your help.
    shondi

• curbdiver1954
    17 years ago

I've got a prettty piece of amber that was treated that way. Only thing I have done so far is soak it with three batches of glass in denture cleaner. Got nearly all of it out of the grooves, now I'm going back in with steel wool to hopefully finish it off. Try the denture cleaning tablets, maybe they'll work for you!

HTH,
    Pat

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Rose and Pat - try rubbing alcohol on the last bits of paint. It works super on enamel paint in taking it off. Either use a cotton ball or just soak your piece in it.

Sal

• easystitches
    17 years ago

Here's a little short fat one I made last week while I was trying to avoid weeding. Jill

{{gwi:130505}}

• helen_gardener
    17 years ago

I also love all the totems pictured. My question is: I have several pieces of Depression Glass. When looking at ebay I see there is an abundance of it for sale and its not bringing great bids. If I used some of my pieces in totems I understand that the resale value for the individual pieces will be less BUT would the totems be worth MORE? (I am considering making them for resale) I also have only partial set of MIL's vintage China. Would YOU ladies use these in a totem???? I have looked to see if the pattern is still available for purchase and was not able to find it. Therefore I don't think it would be worth holding onto as the settings are not complete.
    What do you think???

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

Remember eBay is only what people viewing at the time is willing to pay for an item.. it doesn't gauge the true value..

But honestly and personally - I say go for it Helen... unless you know you can get the big bucks for your wares.. them use them in your totem... I would probably dry stack a few 1st to make sure I like the combination before gluing them all together... but try it... You may be surprise as the new value!!!

ie - No one looks at an old dirty box spring... yet people will pay $$$ per rusty spring to showcase in their rustic decorated home or to use in projects.....

• summergardener
    15 years ago

bump

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

WOW. I am amazed. Why haven't I thought of this?
    Now that I've seen some beautiful totems, I MUST make one...or several.
    My favorite thrift store has a large box full of glass and porcelain lids to candy dishes and other things - priced so cheaply. Now I know why I should buy them!
    Next visit to the store I'll get some silicone.
    Can't wait! *rubbing hands together in glee*

• chrizty
    15 years ago

im adding silicone to my shopping list too!! i love these!