Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New 'millstones'

Posted by nmgirl 8 S.NM (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 19:29

Here's a couple of "millstones" I recently finished.

Photobucket Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New 'millstones'

Look great! Are they in your desert gardens? Or will they be? Like the natural stone/concrete feel of these! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

I can't remember...did you tell us how to make these? I really like the one on the left!

o

I like the 1 on the left also, it looks like it is old or has been around awhile so would be very natural in the garden but then I can see the 1 on right with some blue or purple flowers near it giving it a great look,too. Nice work!! Jan

o

I think I posted directions. It would have been before we moved so it's been awhile. A site search would probably give results.
The stone on the right is being used to protect a clean out riser in a bed in front of the house. The riser is right in the drip line so the soil gets washed away during our infrequent yet heavy rains. It's also right in front of the only hose bib on the front of the house and is a hazard. Now it's protected and I have safe footing. I've done this same thing to protect sprinkler risers in flower beds. The size and weight of the "millstones" are great. They're large enough for both of your feet and you can push a wheelbarrow over them and they don't move.
The left stone is set in a flower bed. I threw some soil over it so the design would show for the photo.
It's interesting, the grey stone is actually more beat up and weathered (I worked it over really well) but the reddish one looks older. The lighting perhaps?

o

Good job--as always!

o

These are very authentic looking, NM. The one on the right looks just like the old millstones one sees around here at the site of old mills on the rivers, although I expect yours are smaller replicas. Nice job!

o

Wonderful!
I envy you enjoying your NM weather to make things while some of us are buried in snow!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here