Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azcactusflower

FIRST glass plate flowers

azcactusflower
13 years ago

The weather in AZ has been warm and sunny, almost like spring. So I decided to take advantage and put together some glass plate flowers. I can hardly wait to mount them and plant them in my garden.

{{gwi:130568}}

{{gwi:130569}}

{{gwi:130570}}

{{gwi:130571}}

{{gwi:130572}}

{{gwi:130573}}

{{gwi:130574}}

I finally learned how to upload the pics!!!! Thanks to the help I got. Now I just have to learn how to crop them.

Boy I have the fever!!!!! I got to dig out some more glassware so I can make me some more flowers!

Comments (19)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Wow, AZ...this was a pleasant surprise! Your glass flowers are downright GORGEOUS! They will look beautiful in your gardens...so good to hear your weather is nice...it's horribly cold here so can't even work in the shop til we get some nicer days!

I am loving the "depth" you used w/your pcs...now just flat plates...& the textures & shapes! What's your plan for the stems? Just beautiful! TFS! Jeanne S.

• kirkus
    13 years ago

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! Those are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the color of them and the 3-D appearance! Your first?! I can't wait to see your next ones! You're already a pro! WOW! WOW! WOW! Will you mount them with glue or drill the glass? FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. You can be very proud of your creations. I also like the dimension that you have given them. Thank you for sharing! - Marylee

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!! And everything everybody else said. It's hard to believe they're your first ones. You can't top these.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very pretty, such a great mix of color and texture. You are on your way for sure!

You could mount one of the small ones (maybe the third one) on an upside down bud vase as a garden stake or butterfly station.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The 1st 1 is exquisite,such a lovely base with the rose even having "leaves" around it. These would be perfect for small gardens too! Can't wait to see you next ones!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Those turned out beautifully! What awesome combinations! LOVE the first one and the center is stunning! Great job!

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I am not a plate flower fan, but these are quite pretty.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Lovely! The centers are quite amazing and unusual.
    Kathy

• azcactusflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your comments and compliments.
    I learned from all the examples I have seen on this forum.They were really beautiful! I enjoyed finding the pieces and then seeing how they would fit together. Jeannespines, to answer your question, I want to attach a large serving spoon that has been flattened to the back of the flower and then push it into a piece of PVC pipe that I will spray paint green. I saw an example of it on the forum a while back. That person had even used green clothesline wire to form the leaves for her flowers. They really looked very nice! I am digging through my glassware in search of more suitable pieces for flowers. They are so much fun to make. Thanks to all of you who have shared your pics of the flowers you have made. Nothing like good example to get you motivated!!

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

AZ those are beautiful!! I love the 4th pic.
    I'm glad you are using the flat spoon Idea, I came up with that about 2yrs. ago when I didn't like the PVC elbow being used.
    nesesity is the mother of Invention LOL.
    I now also use forks and I'm almost likin that better. I have one that I did with the fork about 2years ago and it is still holding well. and we have had some week long freezes and storms so it works very well
    Thank for showing those, Carmen

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Being the pinkie that I am, these are right up my alley. I love plate flowers and these are exceptional. I'm working on some garden signs made from plates, so I may have to experiment with the forks and spoons backs.
    Frou

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Very pretty flowers!!
    Love the colors and the combos..

I also use the spoons on the back and they seem to hold well..

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Wonderful flowers! Beautiful colors....
    I have made some plate flowers, but only the plastic ones have stakes. The glass ones I bought plate holders and hung them on the fence.

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Oh man!! I used to have one of those pink ceramic roses, but sold it years ago in a YS. Wish I had it now! How cute it looks with your flower ensemble.

I also have a pink Mikasa plate that was slightly faded from a fire, I could use it for a gorgeous flower!!It may not be as pretty as yours, but that plate is a statement in itself!

You have done a fabulous job with these being your first! Can't wait to see more!!

• tinfoilhat
    13 years ago

Those are really interesting. Next time I get the urge to make a welded flower I'll remember yours and try to get more 3 dimensional with it.

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

WOW, gorgeous flowers - really nice colors and combinations! I especially like the second one. I have a frosted pink bowl just like that one but I haven't used it yet because I haven't found the perfect plate to go with it. I LOVE that ruffled petal plate that you used, haven't seen anything that nice in the TS here!
    Sheryll

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

i found some acrylic flower beads at a local bead store. They are holding up well so far in the subzero weather. Not quite as pretty as cactus flowers rose, but they make an interesting center.
    Here is a pic of them. can't tke a pic of the flower right now as it is covered with snow! There were also roses, the beads were about $1.50 each and are about 1.5 inches or a bit less in diameter.

{{gwi:130576}}

Kathy

• azcactusflower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

concretenprimroses, I love the vibrant red color! They would really make a nice center for a plate flower. We don't have any bead stores locally but next trip to Tucson maybe I can talk my hubby into finding one!!! I imagine you could probably spray paint them any color you would like them to be. They would even make nice adornments for a shabby chic birdhouse. So many possibilities. Thanks for sharing. When weather gets better maybe you can post a pic for all of us to enjoy.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax