Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

SeaHorse and Gnome WIP

Calamity_J
13 years ago

Yup, hauled in my next victims!lol! The gnome needs attention to get his feet back on, and the seahorse will get some new fins and probably be mosaiced.

{{gwi:130614}}

Comments (28)

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

calamity - You have your work cut out for you. Will they take up residence near your pond when they are repaired? I bet they will look really good when you are finished.
    Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Wow! We are going to have to call you Dr. Calamity if you can fix that poor guy's legs!! Might need some surgical steel in them for support!! The seahorse will be beautiful as I've seen your work before. Good Luck!!Hope you have a warm spot to work on all this or a heater handy! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Well, I have to say that I laughed out loud when I saw the poor little gnome! He looks as though he met the wrong end of a Mac Truck. Hope you'll be able to reconstruct his legs for him Jane! The seahorse looks great....doesn't seem damaged at all....can't wait to see the finished products!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, This is gnome #3 and I have plans for a gnome garden bed with a birdbath, and he does have some steel pins(nails) that will help repair him, he is 28"high. The seahorse is 31inches high and both are gonna have a big transformation! So I had my dream room made in the house...a ART room!!!! We tore down a wall and made me a 21x14 room, I built shelves and have 2 doors out to the yard(a covered deck with pond right off that) DREAMY!, I NEVER leave this room these days!ha!
    {{gwi:130615}}

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

You lucky girl! I have a room, too, but it isn't as well organized as yours. It's also the home of my computer and sewing machine. When I was recently into garden art it drove my DH crazy because I had glassware all over the floor a lot of the time. Had to have it out where I could look at it to decide which piece would go where. He was never in there except when he came in to say something to me. He doesn't understand creativity.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

WOW! A dream room, for sure! That is wonderful!
    I am lovin' your seahorse! And I know he will be really, really cool w/your mosaic...but I am lovin' him "plain Jane," too! LOL!

Good luck, doc!, with gnome-body! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

What a great Art Room too!! Lucky girl!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura, My hubby too...and I have put my glass/totem pcs away for a while, or my room would be in very sad shape! I just started the year off with a big purge/spring clean up, and now I feel inspired to do projects! Today I took a break and finished planting the last of my spring bulbs, most in baskets for the front door, I even went and gathered some moss for top dressing! And painted one of the baskets...moss green! I was inspired by some snowdrops peeking out of a pot I had planted them in last winter...when I had run out of time to plant them in the ground...maybe this year they will make it in the ground after blooming...

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Instant water plug cement, little did they know it fixes feet and fins and garden faereies!!!lol!

{{gwi:130616}}

{{gwi:130617}}

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Love your nice large room for working & glad it's warm so you can really work whenever you want to. Looks like good progress on the gnome!! What are the red flowers on the plaque on the floor near TV, looks interesting, is it a project? Jan

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan, check my post"pics hopefully". So I decided to give my gnome a pair of cement boots!lol! How often do you get to say that!!!ha! But I just wanted to make sure he was supported, and so I carried on with a 1/4 of cement all the way down, so now he has boots instead of shoes. He has had a repair previously, with metal bands and coathanger clips(how I bought him at garage sale for $7)....and that worked for for the last 5 yrs I've had him, but then he fell over...and it was all over...so when this boot dries, I will take the band off the other side and give him matching boot. Fins are coming along nicely on the seahorse too.
    {{gwi:130618}}

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

The cement boots are the perfect solution! You did a spectacular job of making him look as if he came right out of the gnome factory with his new foot apparel.

I, too, am really envious of your fabulous art room. The big table really makes it. How nice to have such a big workspace.

I have a nice large room too, but I share it with a computer, exercise machines, a kitchenette, and a bird who spends afternoons out of the cage, so I can't leave any craft projects out.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I built my 4ftx6ft table with big wheels so I can roll it out of the way and sweep! The cement shoe didn't work...so I am trying gorilla glue...may have to get something else to fix this if this doesn't work. It looks like some kind of plaster substance was used on this to fix it previously...I have heard of people using that bondo stuff for cars, to fix garden statues, maybe that was used, anyways the cement is not adhering to it.Robert has inspired my thinking cap and I may have to have 2 different Gnome Garden beds, one featuring a shroom or 2 and also a cement shoe!

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Calamity you know I love your work. But your art room, I mean, how do you work in there? Aren't you afraid you'll get something out of place? ha, ha, ha, ha!

Now this is "MY" art room 24' X 24' and to think my DW wanted to keep a car in there. HA! That will be the day. lol
    {{gwi:130619}}
    {{gwi:130620}}
    No kidding it's where I work - well I work outside too but those pictures scare even me.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! I am so laughing my butt off, THAT is the usual way I have my room, but the yearly clean up was due....now if you saw my shed(18x20), no room to move! Just piles of "future projects"...did I mention the "basement of the shed...or the 10x30 shed...or the 6x8+the hideyhole behind it...oh my...DH the neatfreak(opposites really do attract!) starts trying to "put stuff away" then I can't find it...and go buy it again!!!! He may have sold my truck...but I still have a utility trailer and hitch on my car!!!lol!

• tehuti
    13 years ago

On a more serious note check this link. You can also look at other pictures forward and back. Lots of nice mosaics - good ideas here for garden junkers.

Here is a link that might be useful: cobalt sunflower

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I LOVE that Cobalt sunflower!!! She is VERY creative! Love it!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just about to add the final fin pcs, then onto mosaicing.
    {{gwi:130621}}

• tehuti
    13 years ago

Neat! Rapidly becoming "YOURS".
    That poor Gnome, did you use any wire to support the repair? Did you used a regular Portland cement and sand mix? I can't think of any reason why that would not be strong enough of a repair.

Robert

• kms4me
    13 years ago

Oh My Gosh, I am loving that seahorse... or sea serpent? I know you will do something more incredible with it, but even now I am in awe.

Kate

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I redid repairs to gnome and hopefully he will be sturdier this time. Sea Serpent!!! like that! And this relaxing face....

{{gwi:130622}}

{{gwi:130623}}

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

The seahorse looks like it has come alive with the marble eyes. He looks striking!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I used gorilla glue and then cement boots for this gnome and he is as good as new!
    {{gwi:130624}}

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Love it all. The way that you made extra fins for the sea creature from wedi board is quite wonderful! How are they attached?
    For future ref, dh says that to attach the concrete boots it might have worked if you had primed first with latex bonding agent. That's what he put on the ledge in our cellar that he is covering with repair mortar (which has slower curing time than the hydrolic cement you used- 15 minute working time). Just brush the latex bonding agent on like paint to the surface that you want to bond to and let it dry.
    I think gnomes are happier with boots than with little slippers. So much more useful.
    Kathy

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you managed to make the cement boots work for little gnomey with the amputated feet! I agree with Kathy that the boots look more natural and practical than his original shoes. He looks great, and more in balance. Ready to join his comrades in your garden.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great job on the boots (again)...he's ready to watch over your gardens! Sea serpeant...AWESOME! Your "Spring has sprung," me thinks! TFS your updates, calamity! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Gnome came out great!! Sea creature looks like he will be interesting addition to the garden. Do you have themes for various parts of garden,seems like you do with Bog garden & gnome area. Sea creature may need a mermaid to keep him company, seems like someone made 1 last year. Maybe it was you. Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

OMG! When I opened this post and saw the seahorse, I almost fell off my seat. For a moment there, it looked like it was about 6 feet tall! I didn't scroll down to see you had it sitting on the table and thought it was by the door. From that perspective, it looked taller than the door. lol!

Great saves for both pieces. You sure did a wonderful job. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the seahorse (the eye did make it much more striking). I can't wait to see both pieces displayed outdoors (I need a heavy dose of green ... we have a few feet of snow everywhere right now).