Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aussie_mum

Silver Coffee Decanter....ideas please!

aussie_mum
11 years ago

Hi again
Here's one of my 'treasures' that I got from a garage sale! I assumed it's a wine decanter and posted a pic on the 'antiques' forum to get advice but someone said it was a coffee decanter and you put a tealight candle on the little shelf to keep the coffee hot!?

The glass 'flask' sits in the silver stand, but it's not attached and is quite heavy.

I got it from a garage sale for FREE! The sale was over (but the signs were still out hence I still went into the property.) The guy had put a heap of things in a 'free' box near his gate! I couldn't believe it! I love silver things so I grabbed it....with his blessing. He told me to browse while he trotted down the road to retrieve a sign! LOL!

I've washed the glass decanter and polished up the silverware and it's just gorgeous! (see next picture) I was thinking it was just 'too good' to be used in a garden totem or garden junk project but as it's basically worthless it wouldn't be a sacrilege to turn it into a quirky planter or vase?

any thoughts or ideas?

Comments (14)

• aussie_mum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks lovely all clean and polished! :)

• kim546
    11 years ago

Maybe put a solar light in the top ....pretty in the daylight and pretty light at night!

• jenna1
    11 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have a picture but I have this same coffee carafe in copper, with a matching copper plate/platter that sits in a stand behind it. After a bazillion years of dusting it I finally decided to do something different with it.

Some years ago I started using it for one of my bettas. It has copper colored glass vase gems and a chocolate betta. On the bottom is where a tea light would go (mine has a glass tea candle holder that came with it) and I have a battery/flameless tea candle in it. Every once in a while I even remember to turn it on. It really is pretty.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the soiless plant that I have in it but because the water space is limited it's a small draping plant and every so often I trim the roots. To hold the plant in place I just repurposd a really small Tupperware container and cut a hole in the bottom. I change and condition the water every couple of weeks or so. Because I can't have the top on it I just prop it against the side, more of an accent really.

Before I got the chocolate betta I had a bright green betta with emerald green glass vase gems in it for about five years, give or take. Most visitors to our home often ask where we got such a unique fish bowl/vase and I just smile and tell them it was a decanter in another life.

• aussie_mum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW...that's a unique idea! I hadn't thought to use it as a fishbowl! LOL! Thanks for sharing your idea. I have been considering selling it as I've seen identical ones online, like ebay, selling for $80+. So I am in 2 minds what to do with it.

I like the solar light idea too. I've bought several cheap solar lights to experiment with....I'll see what it looks like tonight when the sun goes down! :)

• jlily
    11 years ago

What a unique Betta bowl. Clever repurposing. I love it! TYFS Jlily

• jlily
    11 years ago

What a unique Betta bowl. Clever repurposing. I love it! TYFS Jlily

• jenna1
    11 years ago

Thank you both!

I probably should also mention that I occasionally put my betta into a larger vase every couple of weeks when I clean the carafe. It may be my imagination but they all have seemed to prefer the smaller container.

One of the things that I considered to do with the carafe was to make a small terrarium out of it. A friend of mine used to make and sell terrariums, large and small, and some really teeny-tiny ones. They were amazing! I never had the knack. Well, I could put it together (somewhat) but keeping the plants alive was another story, even with her help. So that idea was nixed. Surprising since I have a house full of huge houseplants.

Aussie mum, what did you decide to do with your carafe?

Jenna

• 1wanderer
    11 years ago

What is a 'Betta'?

• aussie_mum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jenna1
    my carafe is still sitting on the table while I procrastinate about it some more! LOL! I don't have an ebay account otherwise I would list it and see if I could sell it as I'd rather it go to someone who would appreciate it (AND, let's be honest, I see a way to recoup some of the money I spent in op-shops and garage sales!!!!!!! LOL!)

So...still deciding! :)

• nonacook
    11 years ago

A betta is a very decorative fish.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Great find! I like Jenna's repurposing!!! But I can also see this as a vase w/a beautiful bouquet of Tulips or Daffodils in the Spring! TFS! Jeanne S.

• jenna1
    11 years ago

Have you considered posting it on your local Craig's List?

Jenna

• aussie_mum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jenna,
    I just googled and discovered we DO have craiglist here! I thought it was just a USA thing. Yes, I could advertise it there and on 'gumtree'. Now I just have to register with both sites. That's another job to add to my 'to do' list! :)

• juliesmom
    11 years ago

I remembered seeing one just like that in my "no man's land" closet in the basement! Cobwebs and all! Hope mine cleans up as beautifully as yours did. A bunch of daffodils or red tulips? Homemade minty iced tea in the garden? Sand art? The solar light would be great.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022