Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what comes in colored bottles

Posted by msjay2u 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 21:29

I need a list of what I can buy in colored bottles (in the US) for my bottle tree. I hear people talking about wine in blue bottles but when I look around I can not find any wine in blue bottles. Can you guys post some drinks that come in colored bottles so I can find them for my tree? I have the pole set up and no bottles to put on it!!

I don't drink wine but I will for my tree's sake. LOL

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what comes in colored bottles

Reisling wine is often in blue bottles, usually lite to medium blue. And Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry is in nice dark cobalt ones - regular and big size. Its sweet but I like it. Around here it goes on sale everynow and then (state liquor stores.) I have seen at least one vodka in a blue bottle. I just bought a wine called Luna di Luna at the grocery store just because its in a blue bottle, its a pinot grigio chardonnay combo and my company enjoyed it. If you don't drink much your best bet is a recycling center or a restaurant, or friends and co workers, or freecycle perhaps. Too bad there isn't a beer in blue bottles. We'd get more bottles for our buck that way. If there is one I don't know about it. Maybe we should all agree on a brewery and write to them promising to drink their beer (or get our friends and spouses to) if they sell it in blue bottles.

kathy

o

My recycling place gets blue bottles. They give them to me if I ask. They may put them aside for you if you ask.

Tell everyone you know you want them.

Ask a few bars if they'll give put them aside for you. The more expensive the bar or restaurant, the better the bottles should be. Several vodkas come in blue.

Thift stores, junk swap meets, rummage and yard sales are a good bet. Be sure to ask if they have any. They might have some and bring them out.

TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Home Goods, Cost Plus World Market, and 99 Only stores get them. Check their clearance sections. Also check bath products.

There are a lot of cobalt color plastic sports bottles around and they look pretty good till you find enough glass ones for your tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bottle Link

o

Where abouts do you live? I have a bunch I'm not using after my bottle tree was finished.

o

Hey MsJay2U

All the nicer grocery stores in our area are now carrying the sparkling or mineral water in the blue bottles.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

o

I swear I checked for the bottles everywhere except liquor stores. I do not drink so I really do not like going to liquor stores. I asked a co-worker today who moonlights in a Brazilian restaurant to see if he can save me some bottles. I told him I would trade some fresh chicken eggs for bottles. He said he would look out for me.

msmitoagain i love your blootle chandelier and your bottle tree. your dog is FAT!! Has he been dipping in the wine? LOL

I checked out the bottles online Linda and i have found them even cheaper than that the problem is the amount of money you have to pay for postage. Kills the online source idea for me.

I am going to post an ad in freecycle, craigslist and keep an eye out. I am going to make it to the thrift store this weekend too.

Thanks guys

o

If you don't drink, I would suggest you talk to your local bartenders. I have several who will save me the best bottles and I don't have to drink the alcohol to get them. Most of them just throw them into the trash anyway so they are more than willing to save them for you.

o

Places like World Market sell a sparkling water in blue bottles in 2 sizes...since I like the water, I get that from time to time. I get blue from the GW also and another TS I go to. But the one with the round bottom like Karens, mine wants $4 for and there is no way I will pay that...I had rather buy one with booze in it and drink it...even tho I am not a wine drinker (or beer drinker) or even likker drinker, lol. I like margaritis and it has been 10 years probably since I had one. I really got most of mine from the man who used to run the recycle place by the grocery store...but he is at a different location and town now as manager...but I relly have enough. I have found some plastic ones that are good for near the GS play area....and some detergents are blue plastic bottles.

o

Sam's Club also has some wine that comes in Blue bottles.

o

Sam's club has several different colors in wine bottles.

o

My husband takes the supplement CoQ-10 which comes in smallish cobalt blue bottles. GNC stores sell the pills in the blue bottles and other supplements/vitamins in similar bottles. I'm about 1/3rd finished transforming the sawed-off utility pole that holds my birdhouse into a blue bottle tree with his empties. (Will post a photo when I finish it.)

o

There are a lot of things that come in cobalt bottles, but I can't think of anything that comes in red bottles...except Red Rum...and that's hard to find. I don't believe it's sold anywhere near where I am. I guess it really doesn't matter...I couldn't drink enough rum to empty the bottles anyway! LOL

Sure would love a red bottle tree!!

~Sandy~

o

I agree with you Sandy! Red is my favorite colour, and I would *love* a red bottle tree too!

o

Actually I think a tree in all pastel colors would look awesome but I will take blue if I can't find other colors. I am still waiting for the restaurant guy to tell me if he can get the bottles for me.

o

Two Months, since you may still like margaritas, Tequila Agave comes in some pretty blue bottles! I would ask the restaurants in your area if they have any, I tried it and they gave me two! Hey it doesn't hurt to ask, of course I had dinner there was really nice to the waitress and she helped me out!

Sylvia

o

I was reading about an old fashioned bottle tree. They were using blue milk of magnesia bottles.

It would be so cool to have a stationary bottle tree and change the colors of the bottles with the seasons. Red/Green-Christmas, Amber/brown/gold-Fall, Pastels-Spring, Red/White/blue-summer.

I'm still thinking about glass paint to swirl around inside the bottle. That may be how I am able to have my red bottle tree.

Susie

o

HMMMM susiewantsroses might have a good idea there. Has anyone tried to put glass paint on the inside of the bottle? It just might work since the paint is on the inside of the bottle so the weather don't get to it. You can make the bottle any color and the more coats of paint the darker it should get. might be worth a try

o

Here is a list of the BLUE bottles I have on my tree:

Schmitt-Sohne Riesling
Blue Fish Riesling
Blue Nun (wine)
Luna di Luna Chardonnay Pinot Grigio
Skyy Vodka
Skyy Blue ~ 5% alcohol cooler type beverage, came in a 6-pack, no longer on the market.
Bawls Guarana ~ Guarana soda with lots of caffeine, popular with marathon video gamers.
Blue Luna Caf Latte ~ cool bottle, has two loop-type handles on it. Looks like a little urn.
Saratoga Spring Water
Ty Nant Natural Mineral Water
Acqua della Madonna Mineral Water ~ I love this bottle. Long slender neck, big round bottom.
Phillips Milk of Magnesia
Vicks Vapo Rub (glass jars)
Noxema ( glass jars)
Arizona Herbal Tea RX Memory Formula ~ no longer on the market.
The Bath & Body Works ~ B&BW Aromatherapy Sleep line (Lavender Vanilla) in 7" tall bottles.

Boston Round bottles ~ I often see these sold in aromatherapy supply catalogs & on specialty bottle websites. I lucked up and won an eBay auction a few years ago for a case of 24 small glass Cobalt Boston Rounds for $10. Mine are only 4.5 inches tall but they make great little filler bottles for bare spots on my tree. Boston Rounds come in several sizes and colors (like amber, green, cobalt, clear) in both glass & plastic.

I use plastic on my tree too:
Ester-C vitamin supplement ~ several on my tree for over a year now with no fading
Vicks Vapo Rub jars ~ now packaged in plastic but still that gorgeous deep cobalt blue, takes forever to use up a whole jar of Vapo Rub though.
Dawn Direct Dishwashing Foam ~ Not as deep a blue as cobalt but very, very close. I buy the 30.9 refill bottles. Theyre about 9 inches tall. No fading of color so far.

I also made a big blue bottle for the top of one of my trees. I glued cobalt blue half marbles all over a 2 gallon dill pickle jar with a Vicks Vapo Rub jar on the bottom to resemble a bottle neck.
I used GE II silicone caulk.

I hope Ive been of some help. Best of luck in your search for blue bottles,
Aggie

o

OMG, Aggie...I'm dying laughing over you doing that pickle jar!! What a project!! DH wants to know if you'll post a picture!! LOL We'd both love to see it!! How on earth did you ever come up with that idea??!!

I have a pretty wild imagination, but I doubt I would have come up with that one!!

~Sandy~

o

For us folks looking for red glass:
I have been studying red glass bottles. I went to a Liquor store today and looked around. Nothing in a see-thru red bottle. I did some web searches today. Red glass is expensive to manufacture. Spain makes some red glass bottles (ebay) but they are expensive. My best luck so far was a couple of small ones from Hobby Lobby. Then I found a tiny one from a resale shop. I plan to try PierOneEmports and Ross. I would love to find a product done in red glass but once again manufacturers avoid them because of the production costs.

Please let me know if ya'll find food, beverage, cosmetic products packaged in red bottles at food stores.

Thank you so much.

Susie

o

I wanted to let you guys know I have panted the in side of those round short vace or what ever.I use glass pant I pant the insde and mosaic the out side with safty glass .I then set the top of soler lights on top .They have been out side about 3 years and they have not fade .

o

~ Sandy ~
You made me start giggling! I just remembered what my son told his friend while they were looking at the tree one day...
"Look at her mammoth blinged-out pickle jar!"
LOL! Here it is:

Pickle Jar Blue Bottle

o

Waaaah I want to see that full size and it won't let me! LOL
Any one remember the (fingernail) polish balls? That would probably work on glass bottles for making red ones.

o

niice blinged out pickle jar!

o

NonaCook I tried fingernail polish in some glass last summer and it faded right away- didn't even last the summer. It went from bright red to a very pale pink- some went almost to a buff color. So I don't like it for painting glass.

I am thinking of using the paint that you get to make the little plastic suncatchers to paint glass but haven't tried it yet. It is transparent and made to handle sun. You don't get much in those little containers though.

o

I have a hard time finding colored bottles, too, as I live in the sticks. SoBe had one tea out in a cobalt bottle and over the course of a summer I think I bought the entire case from my local c store. Something else that works is vases. My local thrift store gets a steady supply of tall, narrow vases in forest green and now they've been showing up in red and cobalt blue as well. As an aside, I have a cobalt bottle tree and thought it would look cool lit up. I spent several hours stuffing mini lights into the bottles and wrapping around the tree, anticipating darkness and how it would look. Don't waste your time. When the bottles light, they are washed out and a total disappointment.

o

oh SoBe.... someone said Arizona iced tea and I searched for one that comes in a blue bottle and could not find it. SoBe is sold in a lot of places around here so I will look for that. I think the idea of using the stain glass paint is a good one. it actually does come in larger bottles in wither Michaels or walmart. can;t remember which but I have some in the basement. I am just wondering if it can be applied evenly.
The idea of using the lights did sound like a good one. How about using the blue lights instead of the white lights?

o

I found a post as I searched miniatures in which someone said she had bought some little bottles of a Reisling wine in a six pack that were not only blue but FISH SHAPED! I've got to look for those! Bought a bottle of sparkling water yesterday just cuz it was blue, and it was the last one. Wine bottle sized beautiful medium blue $2.19 couldn't resist.

o

From what I understand, the reason red glass is expensive to manufacture is...it has gold in it. I don't know if it's all red glass or just certain shades. If it's all...I can understand why they don't make bottles from it.

~Sandy~

o

I live close to a couple wineries and they sell the used bottles for $2. a case. If I ask really nice they will sort out the colors I want.

o

I was in target today and they have an energy dring that cost less than $2 in a bumpy blue bottle. it is called bawls

nice bottle

Here is a link that might be useful: Bawls bottle

o
opps

I meant to say an energy drink

o

My favorite Riesling comes in a blue bottle. I can't remember the brand, but it has a picture of a little German guy in a lederhosen on the back of the label.

o

I was just in the liquor store yesterday looking for red glass and I found one! Absolut raspberry comes in a red glass bottle. I didn't want to pay $30 for raspberry vodka but maybe I can convince a friend to try it so I can scavenge the bottle :) I believe the glass to be stained red too and not painted.

o

Ohhh that's pretty! There is also a beer by Budweiser that comes in a blue bottle

o

I have a beautiful cobalt blue bottle, Bevlamo Moscato D'Asti, an Italian white wine & I have a red bottle, Bevlamo Sparkling Moscato. The red appears to be painted on though, so it won't last in our super hot sun. I also picked up one Bawls bottle from the side of the road and a few Bud Platinums If you don't drink, but DO like the smell of lavender, I have found MANY blue bottles of lavender scented lotions and liquid soap in the bath section of stores such as T. J. Maxx, Marshalls, etc. We went through many jars of Noxema when we were kids. I always admired the beautiful color of the jar. I wish now I had saved some of those jars. Also: I had bad eczema and my Mom used to buy Mazon creme for me. The jars were pretty small; maybe 4 ounces ? - but they, too, were cobalt blue. - Laura

o

It is strange...every single idea I had to get bottles fell through. Then one day I went to my nieces house and they had a crap load of blue vodka bottles. I have them all. Now I am scared to put them in the yard because of the amount of branches falling off the trees. ,I hope to get to it one day

o

We used cobalt blue bottles for our tree. All of them had Reisling wine in them took us several years to get enough for the bottle tree. We have three sizes on the bottom the bottles are very tall they were sold as a holiday special then we used regular size and for the top we used the small size that came in four packs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here