Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindee11461

more fun with glass hanging thingys(-:

cindee11461
17 years ago

I got the Joan of Arcadia first season dvd series for Christmas and I have been watching it. Anyhow they have a kid on there that is into junk collection creations. He welds and does bottles/glass art that hangs etc(has anyone seen it?) It has inspired me to get to work(-: I made three more today and of course pictures will follow tomorrow(-: I am having fun with the drilling but so far its been a lot easier. I found that the cheaper the glass vase the easier it is to drill through. Forget the thick stuff(-:

Comments (39)

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

WE NEED PICTURES!!!! LOL

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Good for you Cindee. Leave it to a GJ person to pick up on those creations in the show! LOL Will be looking forward to seeing your pics. Luvs

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:130847}}
    {{gwi:130848}}
    {{gwi:130849}}

• suzyqute
    17 years ago

These are so very nice , Is that a glass Angel on the Blue bottle ? if so, where do you purchase them ? I've been looking for some , but ... no luck . Thanks

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

that is actually a butterfly bead I got at Michaels

• gardenfairy50
    17 years ago

How beautiful and creative, will you give the directions on how to make them. I would like to try so I can use them in raffles for our Master Gardener Club.
    Thanks
    Gardenfairy50

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Cindee, these are fantastic, you need to market them at a spring/summer farmer's market. I would definitely buy something like this. The copper tubing is striking against that gorgeous colored glass. I'd pick a favorite but I can't, I love all of them. Sooooo pretty, I bet you get hummingbirds going to that red one!!!

Sal

• neetsiepie
    17 years ago

Ohhh my, you've sooo inspired me now! I've got a lot of pieces like you've got here. I've got a big old spool of copper wire. Got the glass globs. Need crystal beads, tho...where do you find them? My mom gave me some great bottles that I just can't use for totems, but I can sure make some hanging things from them. You are VERY talented!

• Bright199
    17 years ago

WOW!!! and WOW again! Those are beautiful.I just love them. You do a great job with those. I have not tried to bend copper but you make me want too. Be careful though. People in this area are stealing anything and everything to get copper to sell. Even a.c. units.

• texaswild
    17 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. I'm behind in reading this post. These are just fantastic. They're hanging totems. WHAT NEXT? This is such a neat and creative way to use trash glass. Oh, NO, I might just have to buy GOOD glass to make some of these. Oh, our patios are gonna shine this spring! Hey, why couldn't we use those tall garden hooks to hang some on. I can see a little path lined w/them.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

directions for these were just use an old thrift store etc. vase/plate/bottle/cup etc and drill a hole (with a drill bit made for drilling glass/ceramic)for hanging. I used a heavy piece of copper wire with beads to hang one and crystal galand to hang the others. I wrapped with copper tubing. If you do it slowly the copper tubing goes around easy without bending(-: Decorate with beads or crystals etc.(-; Sounds easy right? LOL I got the crystal garland that is on the two from Wal Mart. They came as garland clearanced in the Christmas dept. It is pretty in the sunlight. The first one I made has real glass crystals on it that I got at the flea market for a dollar! Thanks for all your kind comments I am glad you enjoyed them(-:

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Those are so beautiful!

Silly question... Does copper bend easily? How do you get it on the glass/bottles?

I have a veranda which could use a couple of these!

• katladie
    17 years ago

Ok, did you drill each piece, or did you glue the rest of them and just drilled the top piece to hang it from? Those are so neat, I want to do some.

Sharon

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Y'all gonna LOVE this website for the glass crystals and garlands. They even have colors - green, purple, red, amber. I've ordered from them, and their prices you can't believe, and the service is fast.
    http://www.18006683899.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Shelf/ASP/Hierarchy/09.html

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Cindee, How clever of you to combine the dangly idea with glass totems! You are so creative! They just look wonderful. I still don't quite "get the picture of why they have to be drilled. Does something run clear through the bottle or vase then the other pieces are glued on? Inquiring minds wanna know--however, I do NOT need to start any new projects right now! Ha ha Luvs

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I drilled a hole so I could hang them. I thought it would be safer then just hanging from a glued piece. I did glue the rest on though. Just the same as making totems.(-:

• mayme
    17 years ago

cindee, those are just stunning. I love them.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Those are beautiful! Ok, now I need one. Thanks for the directions

Maria

• gardenfairy50
    17 years ago

Thank you slowmedown for the great web site for glass crystals. I definitly will be spending some money there. LOL

• decompost
    17 years ago

Cindee, Cindee, Cindee! They are utterly DIVINE!!
    You have got my brain spinning a mile-a-minute with possibilities.
    :^)

• cait1
    17 years ago

WOW, Cindee, your creations are AMAZING!! They're just perfect! I love them all. Airborne Totems!! Wonderful!
    Cait

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Cindee, these are fabulous - the possibilities are endless!

Slowmedown, everytime you post a new source my addiction grows! Dang before I started my crash glass BB I was wanting a crystal point for the top and gave up the idea... argh...

• texaswild
    17 years ago

That's what is so cool about this forum - noone is stingy w/their sources. I found that add in "Romantic Homes" magazine. When I saw the crystals in an antique shop for $10.00 each, I had to LOL.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heres a link to someone that has made a bottle hanging thing. Thought I would share their idea too. So many ideas so little time? (-:

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Those are AWESOME!!!! If you click on Cindee's ebay, scroll down and see the "gimmee four" soooo cute!!!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Don't you think it was rather stupid of that person to show them "NOT" hanging??? some people have no marketing sense at all I swear! (rolling eyes)

• texaspuddyprint
    17 years ago

Love those bottles!!!

...and that spectrum crystal and glass website. I've ordered from them several times. If you're ordering several pounds worth you can't beat their shipping costs or their speedy mail service.

Just got an order in right before Christmas for crystal prisms for my back porch eaves and other pieces I have yet to craft.

I really enjoy sitting on my back patio to relax and watch all the little rainbows those crystal prisms flash against the brick wall and concrete :o) They even shine through my living room patio door and my back bedroom windows...so I also get to see flashes of rainbows inside the house too.

The mirror tiles on the suncatchers I made also flash around the yard, on the fence and the trees too :o)

Here's a photo line up of the mirror and bead suncatchers and my row of crystal prisms. ~ Cat
    {{gwi:130850}}

{{gwi:130851}}

{{gwi:130852}}

• nonacook
    17 years ago

I have done blue bottles with wire, but not with the tubing(I have some tubing-just haven't used it) You will have to go to my website to see them tho-you know me and not being able to post photos....

Http://members.cox.net/nonacook

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cat i love your bead suncatchers and your crystals too. That those are so cool(-:

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Slow, thank you for posting that site. I had seen that some people on these forums were using the crystals on their Christmas trees and thought they were really pretty. At the little store where I work--there are some for $11.00 each and some smaller ones that are $1.00 each. I was thinking about buying some of the $1.00 ones--but the site you shared with us has them with the round crystal on top for waaay less. Even with shipping costs--you just saved me money! Thank you. Luvs

• texaswild
    17 years ago

'twas my pleasure to share. TEXAS: That is one awesome curtain of glass on your patio! Very good idea. What a nice effect that must make when you sit 'n sip outside.

• desiderata
    17 years ago

lol about the copper being stolen, to sell

some are stealing the copper but I didn't think it was to sell..I thought it was being confiscated to use in meth labs...
    we have a 'crime stoppers' local number, for any information one may want to pass on..

I really like that copper around the glass..very effective.
    guess you must need a certain copper 'forming' tool of some kind, though.

Becky .(*_*).

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

ok Cindee, I asked at last post and did not get an answer...is the bubble an ornament? I love the ones in this post also...beautiful.

Cat, love those dangles.

I have CDs and they shine in the house a lot...cats chase the light all over the yard. My problem is 3 GS who love to hit or chop at everything as they battle...messed up a few hanging items...but I threaten to chop at them, lol...and they stop til next time, lol. oh well, I can remake CD hangers.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The glass ball is a glass bubble thing that I bought in a package at Wal Mart. they float on water. I found them in the area of the wedding stuff and florist stuff. they come in a clear plastic round box. I think they are around 5 dollars for a dozen. They come in green, blue or clear. Hope that helps(-:

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

OMG...those are fabulous! I don't know which one I like better the clear one or the blue one. I guess I'll take both...LOL. Very pretty!

• barefootin
    17 years ago

OK..I really REALLY love these! I haven't posted much, but I still come to see what everyone is doing. Hubby bought me a glass grinder, and I have 50 lbs of scrap stained glass. Now I am ready to play!..LOL I think I need to try one of these soon. How beautiful!

Sherrie

• chickencollecter
    17 years ago

Fantastic! Beautiful! Amazing! I gotta do some of these!

Be Safe, Rach

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This one I used the glass mirror tiles and then glued a few mosaic tiles and a couple flat bead thingys to the mirrors. It was hard to get a good pic cuz the sun is shining so brightly(-: I really do like the mirrors they add a lot of sparkle(-:
    {{gwi:130853}}
    {{gwi:130854}}

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Pictures have disappeared...

:-(

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus