Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Pot Wreath ready for Spring!

jeannespines
14 years ago

Well, I got a "pot wreath" made today...been collecting these small terra cotte pots at GS's & TS's, etc. Was motivated to do this by Kirk's SS gift from Cindee...and Desertrat made one last yr....I'll post the link below which has pics of both.

Kept thinking I needed to add something else...thought of half marbles, corks, walnuts, pinecones...but then some of these items made it look to Fall-ish. So I left as is...it will be outside on this fence or on the new (old) door (which isn't in yet) of my garden shed from last yr:

{{gwi:130779}}

Here's a pic of the wreath I hung in the house for a pic...can't get out to the garden shed YET...snowstorm, high winds & cold, cold temps!

{{gwi:130965}}

Got a few pokes & bloody jabs here & there...but well worth it! All the pots are wired on & since it will be out in the weather, I think I will just tuck some natural dried flowers or moss LATER while it's hanging on the fence or door.

{{gwi:130966}}

Thanks for looking! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: desertrat's pot wreath

Comments (20)

• nonacook
    14 years ago

The wreath looks good now and will look wonderful when you get the additives in.
    All I want to do when it's COLD is hibernate!!! Under the electric blanket!!LOL

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I love it(-: You can always add more pots too if you find them. I found some mini pots at the SA and still haven't attached them. I need to do that this Spring(-: It thought they would look cute tucked into the extra spaces.
    Another thing I had to do since mine is out in the elements is I bought a wire wreath frame at Michaels and attached it to the grapevine wreath in the back. That seemed to hold it better in shape. After a couple years out in the weather it was starting to sag.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Jeanne,getting a head-start on spring!! Wreath came out very nice. Should look wonderful on your shed! Love the spring look of 1st pic!! Jan

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Jeanne,
    Yours looks fabulous! The wire I used was thin like use to hang pictures frames...I just used long string of it fro each pot and bent and tucked them into the wreath itself (they totally blend in). Yours will look great too with the moss and flowers tucked in.....
    Hang in there with all the snow....
    Love, Jules

• imjustsam
    14 years ago

I love your wreath and I think the idea of moss tucked into it would be lovely. I have a lot of trailing seedums here and I think those might look really cool in some of the little pots too. They seem to grow anywhere and I am in Buffalo, so we get pretty cold too. I bet I could even send you some come spring, because I believe they are indestrucable. I have to thin them out of my rock garden every year and I have used them in tipsy pots when nothing else seems to stay very pretty due to my poor watering skills.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Jeanne~

You did a great job on the pot wreath...it's one of those that can be changed for any occasion or season too! I think you may have inspired me....hmmmm..where did I put those terra cotta pots of mine??? ;-)

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

That is so cute, I love it, and it's so well done. It looks great just like it is, but the moss and flowers will be nice. I think some rusty wire woven in and around the pots would be neat(did I just suggest something rusty? times are a changing). As always all your projects are an inspiration to me.
    Syble

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I totally love this. I made one many years ago and I wish I would have known about the floral wire wreath as extra support. Looking at that 'one' aged pot on the wreath makes me think I would want to try aging my pots. (Yes, I am totally inspired to make one now, thank you very much Jeanne and Jules.) I have heard of painting on buttermilk, or yogart,and rubbing manure compost on them. Spritz with miracle grow and water occasionally. They will get a very rich mossey patina. Green sheet moss is so expensive. I could use Spanish moss to fill in between the pots if I grew my own green patina on the pots. My gears are cranking and smoke is coming out of my ears. Watch out!

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

Ah Jeanne, your first photo makes me long for spring...gorgeous! Love the wreath. Those pots sure make it heavy, don't they? I've made several of these and sold every one of them. Some were plain like yours and others I used long strands of ivy and just wound it in and among the pots - it just added a little something. I'm having a hard time finding motivation to do anything right now, it's easier to curl up in the recliner with my heated throw and browse the web or look through gardening books. The kids and I curb shopped lots of these grapevine wreaths and I have more pots - just need motivation. Also, I used "grapevine" wire - it looks just like grapevine. Sold in the floral dept. at Joanns and other craft stores. Thanks for sharing!
    Arlene
    Here's one of mine that sold
    {{gwi:130967}}

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, GJers, for your comments...it's always so rewarding to post and hear back ...because like susieroses said, "my gears are cranking and smoke is coming out my ears!" LOL, susieroses!

Now I will add a metal wreath to the back of this grapevine one...thanks, Cindee, for the tip! And, luvs & desertrat, TFS your wire techniques & type...great ideas! luvs, TFS pic...a unique purchase for buyers!

i'mjustsam...I also grow that sedum; that I think you are talking about...and I am always tucking it here & there...that may work really well in this wreath...thanks for the offer of sharing anyway...another great idea!

frou...rusty wire....ummmm...good idea!

nona, stay warm! I'm used to this weather & I don't stink my nose out for a few days...above zero days I'm back out at whatever...cabin fever kicks in quickly! Marlene, have fun if you decide to go ahead with it! It's motivates for Spring dreams!

sunny...I need some of your weather...ship me a little, will ya! TFS your comment.

Think Spring (ideas, anyway)! Jeanne S.

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Oh how loverly! It does give me incentive to get going again. It has been a rough health year for me. But I have a grape wreath that would be perfect for a project like this!

Sylvia
    Nanagrandma

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I love it.
    Kathy

• lindasewandsew
    14 years ago

That's really nice Jeanne. Can you give some tips on making them? Looks like fun. Linda

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks crete, nana, sewandsew...here's a few tips:

HLobby sells cheap grapevine wreaths, half price lots of times...mine was old that I'd used for other things.

Collect small pots at GS's, GW, TS's...I accumulated these over Spring/Summer.

I just worked on a small table & used wire (like electric fence type gauge)..flexible. I thread thru the hole in pot first, then ends thru the grapevine...just played with it where I wanted them...put larger ones on first, then added.

Now I will add a wire wreath by wiring it to the grapevine...that was Cindee's suggestion (above) as her wreath started sagging after being in weather 2 yrs....so sounds like a great solution!

I didn't wear gloves (I did wear clothes! which I first typed instead of gloves)LOL!!! & do have some pokes & scratches...but I couldn't work the wire with gloves on...used pliers to twist 2 ends tog at back of wreath.

Hope this helps...go for it, nana! And a healthier year ahead for you! I'm beg. my 4th yr. since being so sick...so am hoping you are headed for a great year! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Jeanne, I love the wreath! I loved other ones that I have seen too. Hmmmm...this is something I could even do for inside the house. I'll have to keep an eye out for those little pots. Thanks for sharing yours, Jeanne!

Martha Stewart's site has some great suggestions for "aging" terracotta pots. She has a variety of suggestions for giving it a whitish look to the mossy look. Below is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart - Aging Terracotta Pots

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

What a neat idea. I'll sure look for the pots at ES and GS this spring. TFS.

• beck_wi
    14 years ago

I love your wreath and I'm thinking of plugging the holes in the bottom after you wire them on and then putting bird seed in the ones that face up.

I also use these little pots as feet under my planters on the deck.

• cottagegirl_tn
    14 years ago

I have a lot of "mini" watering cans I've been collecting. I may make a wreath out of those after seeing this idea. Looks good!
    Jenn F

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

what a great base for you to decorate....you can tuck in any holiday hint as the year goes by. That will keep it fresh. Beware: birds love to take the moss out for their nests. You might want to hang some old pieces of string or yarn or ribbon on it at the bottom for the birds. I have even saved hair from brushes to put out for the birds. You can look around your area and find bits of your color in the birdnests.

• leveta
    14 years ago

luv2click i'm glad to know i'm not the only one who feels that way...