Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyann_gw

glass bird feeder

emilyann
14 years ago

I am trying to find the directions to make that bird feeder made out of glass, it has a plate on the bottom, some sort of glass jar, hope someone knows what I am talking about, hard to explain

Comments (16)

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Could you post a link or give us an idea of where you've seen it? Was it on this forum or somewhere else?

• nonacook
    14 years ago

It was this forum--
    I remember that it had a divided plate on the bottom.
    I don't remember who posted it, tho' so I
    am not much help

• emilyann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes it was on here, but that is all I remember, sorry

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Was it something like these? Or no?

{{gwi:130984}} {{gwi:130986}} {{gwi:130987}}

• emilyann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes yes, those are it!!! Thank you, but is there anywhere to find the directions for making tham???
    Thank you!!!!

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Since I made them I can tell you but I have to be at work early this a.m. so I'll have to do it in a day or so. They aren't difficult to make. It's mostly a matter of finding the right pieces and drilling the holes.
    As Arnold said,"I'll be baaack".

• clc70
    14 years ago

I just stumbled across this post and am very interested in how you did these great bird feeders. How do they comme apart to put the seed in? How about a pictural tutorial? I'm crazy wiith curiosity! They're wonderful.

• imjustsam
    14 years ago

This is the version I made a couple years ago. It was pretty easy. I used a divided relish tray for the bottom and drilled a hole in the middle of it. the second layer was a glass lampshade(open at both ends, no drilling) and then I had a glass globe at the top which had the top hole already in it. I strung them together with a rod from the hardware store(less than $1)and then you can get caps or nuts to fit on each end. This way you can easily unscrew or loosen an end to add the birdseed. Easy Schmeasy

{{gwi:130988}}

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

"Easy Shmeasy", you made me, lol, sam. That's really pretty and your directions were perfect. My question is~ what is the cool plant behind it on the fence?

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

The bird feeder is great! I'm tempted to make one although I tend to avoid attracting birds because I have cats.
    The plant looks like lambs ear, stachys somthing. Well what a world with google at my fingertips. Stachys lanata. One of my faves, but rots if it gets too wet. Heres a link with an english gardeners recommendation. They call it lambs tongue. the silvery plump hairy leaves are very cool. And the flower spikes are nice too.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys lanata

• nmgirl
    14 years ago

Small hanging feeder: The large glass piece is a lamp part, the tray is a small relish tray and the glass topper is a glass drawer pull.
    {{gwi:130987}} {{gwi:130989}} {{gwi:130990}} {{gwi:130991}}

Large ground feeder: From the base up, an inverted candy dish, a large divided plate, I glued glass marbles around the inside of the plate to support the inverted votive holder used as a seed diverter, the seed holder piece is the inverted top portion of an hurricane lamp. The top piece is the base from a glass table lamp and the topper is again a glass drawer pull. As you can tell from the photos, the lamp base flips over to become a seed funnel for filling the feeder. The rod up through the center of the feeder is threaded rod purchased at a big box DIY. They don't show in the photos but there is a lock nut at the base of the rod inside the candy dish,a wing nut on top of the seed diverter inside the feeder and a wing nut on the topper.
    {{gwi:130992}} {{gwi:130993}} {{gwi:130994}} {{gwi:130995}} {{gwi:130996}} {{gwi:130986}} {{gwi:130997}} {{gwi:130998}}

I don't have a blown apart photo of the other feeder but I used the same method to make it.
    Ummmm what else........Oh yes, I use a diamond drill bit to drill the glass. It's the type that actually cuts out a plug. I've used the other kind, the ones with a point, but I have better luck with the "plug cutter" type.
    If you have any questions, please ask.
    Have a great day!

• emilyann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much!!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

Wow that is really pretty. Very clever!! Thanks for the tutorial. Great job.

• clc70
    14 years ago

Thanks so much. They are beutiful.

• clc70
    14 years ago

nmgirl, where did you purchase your diamond bit that cuts out a plug? I have diamond bits but have never seen one that cuts out plugs. Your tutorial was great.

• Dottie B.
    14 years ago

nmgirl inspired me to make my own as well, but I made mine to be free-standing with no drilling. There are a couple of pictures on my webpage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Bird Feeders