Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Old barnwood projects

jeannespines
11 years ago

While on a walk the other day (a bit snowy but not bad) ...checking out the 'goodies' in the lean-to for Winter projects ...

this is what the old barnwood looks like ....

Comments (20)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...and today some of that old barnwood looks like this!

One painted Barn Red & one stained Walnut ...

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...and one painted Barn & Fence White ....

DH built them & I painted in the shop today since it was in the 30's outside. This one will have a little antiquing added yet ...but they 'weather' so good & in a couple yrs they will age some! ;-) One of these is headed to a community garden, 'Heritage Park,' in our small town nearby. Happy Winter Days, GJer's! Jeanne S.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

OH they are WONDERFUL!!! Love the style you are doing.

I would love to be out in the yard but the high of the day was 13 today and is below zero now. Seems the only outside work I get done is caring for the feral cat clan we have here.

What a fantastic stash of barn wood you have.

• marylee_2010
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I love your birdhouses. A couple of years ago, I bought a book on birdhouse design and pattern. I was going to make and paint them, but sadly I never did get started. Maybe seeing your projects will give me the kick in the pants that I need to get started on some projects of my own. Thank you for sharing.

• oldgraymare
    11 years ago

I love them!

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Awesome-and a lot accomplished in a short time.
    Keep up the good work!

• indigosunshine
    11 years ago

Nice stash! Love your birdhouses! I love old barnwood but it is getting harder and harder to get it.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Wow Jeanne....my DH would LOVE to have all of that barn wood. Love your birdhouses....very cool!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Love love love them!!!!!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

Those are great!! How tall are they? Will house several birdie families!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Adorable! I have a soft spot for bird houses :-) What are the roofs made from? Is it routered barn planks?

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Wow! Those are great and my how fast you 2 work! Love old barn wood and all the cool projects that can be recycled

• oldcrafty
    11 years ago

Wow! Those are great and my how fast you 2 work! Love old barn wood and all the cool projects that can be recycled

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Birds in your area will be happy! Whole community can move into each one. Glad it was warm enough to work out. Might keep some birds warm when things get really cold, the thick boards will keep the heat in! TFS Jan

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DH puts 'floor boards' in-between the holes ...so, yes, more than 1 bird can house there....we've had our condo birdhouse up at least 20 yrs now & it's still going ... sometimes the nails have popped out a bit ... but we still get Wrens to nest there!

They are pretty tall...the tallest panel is 26" + thickness of the floor board & the the added roof boards ...so probably 28" or so. The roof pcs are barn boards from doors & such.

Yes, old barnwood is getting harder to find...we can no longer 'tear them down' ourselves so sometimes we buy some of our wood & lots of it comes from people telling other people that we are lookin for it.

Thanks, GJ'ers! Appreciate your comments! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a couple of small log birdhouses that DH & I finished up today ... these I gave a coat of Polyurthelene (sp?) ...and it was nice enough to sit them OUTSIDE today for a pic ... the deep freeze comes back tonight but 40's today!

the roof on the right is made from recycled green outdoor wood shutters & the fancy door 'pin' of a hinge is the post...the other one is all barnwood cut by DH & we added a small pc of driftwood...the wrens love these houses!

TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

• sandyl
    11 years ago

Beautiful: Question do y'all use a air gun nailer to assembly them or hammer and nails? I'm working on collecting me a stash of old barn wood and trim for when I retire and making bird houses and such from the old wood is my plans.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My hubby uses the air gun nailer alot ... but we also use 'screws' to attach the bottoms ...that way if someone really wants to take them apart for clean-out, they can. We don't ever take the birdhouses apart here on our acreage...the birds usually take care of the 'emptying.' Have fun, sandyl! Jeanne S.

Here's a couple more that I added good 'junkola' to give them a special old look! An old horses' bit & also some old hinges, latches & such.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW! You two are amazing and talented people, such imagination! I just love seeing your bird house masterpieces!!!

• jlily
    11 years ago

Lucky birds! They will have some lovely homes to go to. Thank you for sharing your lovely projects.

Jlily.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?