Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Winter Boredom = Fairy Houses

luvs2click
15 years ago

Since my drive is so drifted I can't get out, I worked on my fairy houses today. I will likely be snowed in tomorrow also as DH won't be home til tomorrow evening. And since my computer is down and I am using an old one, my capabilities to resize photos and post them are down the drain also. So I am posting my flickr site - where I have uploaded a few photos this evening.

I picked up the birdhouses at thrift stores and redid them into fairy houses. I found the wood slabs in DH shop - he had them for clock making many years ago. They were rather large, so I stuck them in the radial arm saw and cut them in half. (I really am scared of power tools - made sure I had my cell phone with me in case I did something really stupid - being home alone, snowed in and all!)

I really like the little red mushrooms I found on etsy! They add a little color. Also the little fawn hiding in the yard.

Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow. First spring show is March 28th. I've decided to try some miniature gardens in terrariums also - I've been buying up glass jars with lids. That is what I really got the mushrooms for.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy Houses

Comments (15)

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

OH Me .... Oh My.... Ms Arlene...
    I am sooooooooooo happy to see those tonite !!!!
    Thanks for posting the pics !!!
    THESE ARE OUTSTANDING !!!!!
    I'm totally serious..... You should be on HGTV!!!!!

These little fairy houses./Condo's Etc.....
    are simply * M * A * G * I * C * A * L ! ! ! ! !

You have made DREAMS come true !!!!!!!!!!

Right now...
    I am pretending that I am inside one of those
    precious little fairy houses....
    cause
    I also.... have many feet of snow outside...
    and
    TONS of COLD air.... - 5 out now and
    expecting 4 to 6 " more of snow...
    and
    then temp down to -22 !!!!!
    Oh Lordy... that is hard weather on a TEXAN !!!!!

Hope you always keep expressing your
    Sweet personality and wonderful talents by making
    these LOVELY LITTLE FAIRY HOUSES ! ! ! !

Thanks for brightening my COLD DAY !!!!
    BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Baby it is cold outside.....

God Bless !
    SusieSunshine

*** I also have to shovel the drive.....
    a section at a time....
    and when hubby is home
    he starts up the snowblower... but he sure
    is gone alot......................boohoo ! ! !

THERE ARE A WHOLE LOT OF FLAKES AT MY PLACE ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    L@@KS LIKE A FROSTY THE SNOWMAN CONVENTION !!!!!!!!

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Your fairy houses are so outstanding! I love miniatures and these seem so magical to me. I agree the red mushroom and little fawn really add to the pieces. I wish I could get to one of your sales because I'd buy you out! lol!

Susie, trust me, these temperatures are tough on a born and bred Wisconsinite too! Right now I'm sitting at my computer bundled up like an Eskimo. I have a winter scarf wrapped around my neck, sweats, socks and big fuzzy slippers on. I'm tempted to put on some gloves!

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Oh Kathy... LLF....
    I'm so glad to hear you say that....
    I have to wear a stocking cap and a turtleneck, a sweater.. and jacket... with 2 pairs of stretch pants and jeans... and a couple of scarves on my neck..
    also..
    while typing I wear the little gloves... with
    the finger tips cut out...
    I'm just freezing and wearing that INSIDE
    my remodeled 1923 House !!!!

I need a wood burning stove !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to have a blanket on my legs at the
    computer or watching tv.....

I have every window covered... and I'm still
    freezing...

OH YES>>>>>>>>>>
    BACK TO GARDEN JUNK>>>>>>>>>
    Indeed
    I need to live in a LOG CABIN FAIRY HOUSE !!!!
    with a WOOD STOVE !!!!!!!!!!!

I need to put SHUTTERS on my windows...too !!!
    tee hee !!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Ya ! neighbor !
    SusieSunshine

Baby It's Cold Outside !!!
    Lots of flakes * * * * * * * * * * *
    Frosty the Snowman City * 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Ms Luvs2click,

You have a rare and wonderful ability to create a perfect atmosphere for your Fairies. You also have a very green thumb!!! I am so proud of your accomplishments. Thank you for sharing with us.

Susie

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I soooo like all the fairy and gnomes houses that have been posted on GJ. There is just something magical in them that brings the kid in us out.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

They really are magical! You've been spending your snowed in time well. I love the little gardens and the fawn and mushroom do add a lot.
    I used to make and sell terrariums many (could it really be 30?)years ago. I made them in those light green wine bottles with the fat bases - Almaden or some such name. My parents drank it and saved me the bottles. Mom just told me the other day that she still has some in the basement, so now that I've gotten my bottle cutter from dh for Christmas I'll have to go get them, lol. It was hard to get the moisture level right in a bottle with a tiny opening, so I think jars are probably a better route. Good luck!
    kathy
    PS I wish I'd known you all back then! And I'm glad I know you now.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

I think those are the prettiest fairy homes I've ever seen! They look so real! And using birdhouses is a great idea...thanks for the inspiration! Love the little deer and all of your greenery, etc.

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

You always amaze me with your fairy houses!!! They are outstanding and so detailed.

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone - I really enjoy making them.

Kathy- your post reminded me that 29 years ago we received a large round plastic terrarium kit with a freestanding base as a wedding gift! Terrariums must have been popular in that era. We enjoyed it - we both liked to grow stuff, but I am wondering what ever happened to it. Wish I had it now. It had a little thing on the top you could turn to regulate how open/closed it was. A unique gift!

It's snowing here again today....
    Arlene

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

luvs...you are busy! Those fairy houses are so wonderful...I love all that you do...for your market! Enjoy your time indoors...we got another 7" last night and this morning...very COLD, too. Stay warm & keep up the good work! Jeanne S.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I love the fairie houses! I have a couple of birdhouses somewhere that I bought about 15 years ago (when my girls were little) to make fairie houses out of...I am going to have to find them and see what I can do. I doubt if mine will ever match the quality of yours but I will give it a shot.

~Micki~

• cait1
    15 years ago

You are AMAZING!!! They are GORGEOUS!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Magical, wonderful, and you definitely have a lot of talent to make these so enchanting.

hugs, Karen

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Love the one with the ladder! Love them all, but that one is really cute! I enjoy your creations! ~tenderlee

• barefootin
    15 years ago

Love them both! And a lot of your other pics on your site! I hope you don't mind, I sent you an add request (kcbit) or Sherrie.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES