Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colors and stuff for garden projects.

Posted by r_murray 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 23:56

About the colors: over the last few years I experimented with everything from cement additives to water colors. I tried all those colorants that others say, "you can't use that on cement". My conclusions: use what ever you think will work. Sometimes I paint with one color of a water-based acrylic when dry I apply a second color and sand it off to keep the "webbing" and or cracks. I use wood stain, shoe polish, candle wax, polyurethane, but my favorite is a transparent stain made by Krylon. It is so important to me because it goes on as a transparent brown that blends into many of the other colors. I am sure most this would not stay "in-tact" if exposed to harsh weather but I like to think of them as art. They do look good in a sheltered area or on a covered patio and if they fade or peel I'll just brush them off and re-apply the finish, In the end it doesn't matter as long as we can enjoy the creation process. Just remember to leave one surface unfinished so the cement can breathe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colors and stuff for garden projects.

Thanks for the info Robert! I have some plans to make some concrete leaves and will wanna paint them....

o

Thanks for the info! I've done a bit of experimenting with the acrylic paints, wood stains and additives too, but I haven't been real happy with the results so far. Most likely a result of my technique than the fault of the products used : ) Ah well, experimenting is fun, even if things don't turn out quite as I intended. The shoe polish sounds intriguing, and I'm going to have a look for that Krylon stain you mentioned, and definitely some polyurethane for the shine!
Thanks again for sharing!
Sheryll

o

Hey Sheryll Boy, oh boy did I have a difficult time locating that Krylon (Crystal-Color, Satin, Woodland Brown, Indoor Semi-Transparent -#51298) when my can became empty. Not at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware (locally). I finally located an on-line store that had it and purchased 12 cans. It was a little costly doing it that way but I really love that product. I hope you can find it in your area.

As far as technique is concerned mine is very simple: try anything that is not dangerous to health, if it doesn't come out the way you want it: try something else.

Robert

o

I have used regular spray paint as well as house paint on concrete and sometimes it lasts for years out doors. I like your attitude, Robert! I agree, just brush it off and try again if/when the finish goes. sometimes the damaged finished is quite intriguing too, like an antique.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here