Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Roll Call! Share about Yourself

kirkus
14 years ago

Hello Everyone! With so many new members, I thought it would be nice if we started a new roll call! So.... if you are a new member or someone who has been posting for years, tell us about yourselves.

I'll start...I joined the forum 5 years ago but lurked for the longest time. I have developed many close friendships through this forum...sweet, sweet people. I love wood and glass in my gardens...and BEARS! My WONDERFUL, creative wife Carol and I live in the country with our children. I have gotten GREAT ideas from all of my GardenWeb, Junkin' friends!

If you haven't discovered the Conversations side of the forum, check out the link below. This is where we share our lives, struggles, prayer requests, joys...

Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Conversations

Comments (70)

• akasjs
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi! My name is Sarah and I love this forum! I have gotten lots of great ideas from the creative people here, and always appreciate the friendliness and supportiveness of the group. I live near Lake Ontario in a big, old farmhouse on almost 10 acres. I'm crazy about bowling balls (I've shared my blog in the past "bowlingballsiveknown.blogspot.com) and also have dabbled in mosaic. I also frequent the winter sowing forum and occasionally the hypertufa forum. I'm married and have 2 indoor and 2 outdoor cats. No children, but we enjoy our nieces & nephews, and their little ones. Best wishes to each one of you!

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Hi to all you junkers. I'm Laura. I live on an island in NW Washington state with my husband of 53 years and our dog (who thinks she's people) KCee. We have 2 grown daughters, 5 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.
    I love this forum!! I've been a crafty person ever since I can remember. I've been making glass totems, bird baths, patio side tables, etc. since I joined here a couple years ago. My other hobby is photography.
    We moved into a new home 2 1/2 years ago and have been in the process of landscaping since then. Hope to get it somewhat finished this summer.
    I grew up in Oklahoma. I moved here with DH in 1956. Quite a change, but we love it. Mild winters and usually not to hot summers.
    Keep the ideas coming. Great inspiration here.
    Laura

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

I'm a gardener and a crafter, hence my name Crafty Gardener. I've been a member here for ages but I don't always post messages. I love to re'find' items for my garden. Right now all my items are packed away in the garage for the winter, but soon I'll be thinking of setting it all up in the garden once again. Until then, I'll visit GJ for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftygardener.ca

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

I've been on here at least 5yr. and probably more. Don't remember for sure. DH and I love to make plate glass flower,totems,glass bird baths,any kind of crafts.
    Also love gardening.
    Married for 36 yr. in June. One spoiled Border collie (Birdie)We have 4 kids combined but none of our own!
    We are retired and love to travel. Hope to meet some of you folks someday. We live in the Denver,Colo area.Stop in if you're ever in the area.
    May name is Carlene Aka Sorie6 (Sorie was our beloved Corgie that went to rainbow bridge 2 1/2 yr. ago.
    I love visiting this board, most everyone is so helpful if you have questions. You are all a very friendly bunch.
    Keep on junkin!!

• shpnquen
    14 years ago

My screen name is shpnquen, but my actual name is Beth & I'm 44 yrs. young, but my body is playing terrible tricks on me with that concept. I live in north central Indiana in a small town that's about 30 minutes south of South Bend (Notre Dame Univ). I have been married to my hubby for 9 1/2 yrs & we have one 6 yr old daughter & I have a 17 y.o. son from a previous marriage. I dabble in flower gardening, whatever strikes my fancy with crafting projects, & love scrapbooking & paper crafting.

I've been here off & on for at least a couple of years now. I have found some of the coolest ideas on here, so I never see myself staying away for long! LOL!! I have made one bowling ball that's in the gallery with the blue & green swirls & the red bed bench that holds potted plants. I've also dabbled in the glass totems a little too. I keep hoping to make the glass plate flowers - they're all so amazing on here!! My DH & I are both junkers in one way or another. He just likes to keep stuff around in case he needs it, but I like repurposing it into something decorative & useful & that's why I keep coming back here for more inspiration & I'm NEVER disappointed! Sometimes there's so much, it's overwhelming!!! That's OK, I'll live with it... ;~)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone, nice to read people's stories! I'm Lucky and have been a member here for over 3 years but lurked awhile before that. I'm 68 and have been retired for 5 years. We've been married 44 years and our 3 kids all have children and unfortunately don't live nearby so we don't see them as often as I'd like. We live in a rural area on a large acreage and have thot about moving but like it here. We travel with our 3 cats and 1 little dog off and on from April to October so those are really busy months for us with projects, gardening, yard saling, guests, and travel. We actually like winters here in the north so don't go south as many retirees do. We both have hobbies to keep us busy.

I haven't been around much since last fall as we live in the north-west part of Canada and winters are usually cold so I try not to think tooo much about my garden or I become really antsy for spring. Winter is my time to focus on the interior of our home. This winter has been milder than usual so the snow is melting quickly and now I want it to *happen*. LOL Patience is not one of my virtues.

I love yard saling, garden junk, and looking at (and copying) creations I see here. Yard sales only happen here from about April to September. We don't have very good thrift stores so right now I am really "needing" some shopping for "pre-owned" treasures. Going to the big city soon and hope to discover something wonderful in the thrifts there.

I made glass garden totems even before finding this forum and made about 2 dozen in the first 2 years, sold them all, took a break, and have since made about another 2 dozen but haven't sold them yet. They are all waiting to be put out in my garden when the weather becomes warmer. I also made a bunch of glass garden flowers last year but haven't put them on stems yet. DH got several long pieces of used copper pipe at a YS last fall and will cut it and clean it for my flower stems. We've made hypertufa pots and concrete rhubarb leaf stepping stones and would like to do that again - lots of fun and I need more stepping stones for my new garden.

Last year DH built me a little garden house which I've wanted for decades. It's not quite finished, needs a floor, porch, more trim, and *embellishing* which is the fun part for me. We also enlarged our house yard last year so have a lot of work to do when the weather warms up.

I'm looking forward to catching up with posts and getting more great ideas for things to create! Thanks to all who post their wonderful creations!

I'll post the link to my garden site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucky's garden album

• realrose
    14 years ago

Hi, my name is Rose Mary. I hesitate to include myself as well... I don't post much and have gotten into mosaics more in the last few years. This group led me there. I have done many totems (lost count), plate flowers,bowling balls, shrooms, etc. I've have learned so much from this wonderful & creative group.

I live in Pensacola, Fl. I'm a realtor, but market has been so slow I've gotten to "play" a lot. I am married with 3 grown children and 6 grandsons, just had our first grandaughter, born August 25, 2009. Right now I keep her, but will quit doing so in March or April. I plan to go back to work in real estate and hope market will pick up.

I am 55 (double nickle). I am a 4 year breast cancer survivor and now get real active in the Breast Cancer walk. My company has a team and last year (our 2nd yr.) we raised $2,500. I started the team and am the captain.

I guess that does it and thanks for all the ideas!

• desiderata
    14 years ago

hello all..
    I just deleted a documentary of sorts, about the past and my love of garden junk.
    the kind that always has gotten me in trouble...lol
    I go back to late 2002, as a new member...
    some know me as strawberrygoat, recently I reappeared as aka strawberrygoat.
    no matter...I only once in a while check in, to see what new and improved ideas show up in this forum.
    it's still a favorite.

long story short...if you love it, plant it before the county gets ahold of you....
    if it's a bed frame, get dirt in it, with vines.
    if it's a typewriter..get ivy into that platen...
    if it's tire rims or a broken transmission block..
    get something planted in it....
    then, it's neighbors, be dammed.
    let them complain..you have rights.

I could type volumes about the process of complaints and fighting it.
    some is worth it..some isn't.

I simply decided to go to the land surveyer's office and have the precise boundaries marked..get a permit for a fence taller than the usual 8 feet and make myself a fortress.
    we can't have exotic animals, so alligators are out of the question but I'm giving some thought to making a running pen, along the entire fence lines and trapping possums...
    then, when neighbors snoop around, they can have the thrill of their life, when that wicked little bugger hisses at them..serve them right! dam peeping toms...

so, gather it, decorate it, hang it, string lights on it and enjoy the heck out of your garden junk.

• joega
    14 years ago

Hey ..My name is Debi..I have been a member for maybe close to 5 years now. I love Garden Junk!!! I have posted several pictures on here..and enjoy seeing everyones ideas as well. I ALWAYS ALWAYS have more than one project going at a time..hehehe..I have 2 awesome sons and 1 beautiful granddaughter. I have a wonderful man in my life ( his name is Joe) that loves helping me do whatever it is I want to do :) Joe & I just started a new business adventure about 6 weeks ago. We are Scentsy consultants and have really had a blast with it.(would love to introduce you to Scentsy if you are not familar with it)... Anyhow...COME ON SPRING!!! I want to Welcome all newcomers to the best place out there!!!

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Hi, my name is Kathy, lol. I haven't been here in a while, but plan on picking your brains and looking for ideas and pictures. I want to get started on quite a few projects I have in mind if it will ever warm up enough. First thing I'll have to do though is get rid of some weeds that have popped up in the last few weeks. I live in Texas, west of Houston. I love Garden Junking. Is there a Garden Junk magazine?

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Let me also say hello to you wonderful folks here. I think you all do wonderful work in a style and medium thats really unique and meaningful.

I share the same philosophy with you all. I see splendor in useless things and I see beauty in re-cycling and to give new spirit to the castaways.

I see lots of the so-called art in musiums are junk.
    I see lot's of your so-called junk are art.

You may remember some of my work I have posted here; I also post a lot in the Cooking Forum. I use food as my canvas. I invite you to visit there and do a search of "dcarch" and explore the creative aspects of food play with me.

This recent post of mine may be of interest to you which I made use of a few throw away items:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg0217471011545.html?1

Keep up the good work.

dcarch

• littledog
    14 years ago

Congratulations Becky, Luna, and Realrose.
    (And newkid, don't forget to stop by the Oklahoma Gardening forum and introduce yourself. We'll be having a spring swap in a couple of months, maybe you can join us?)

I'm Melody, picked up my id mostly from the little sculptures I used to do. DH and I have been married 24 years, and we have three grown daughters and three, soon to be four, grandchildren. At 21, our youngest is still at home, a student at the local state college, and she's the herd manager for our dairy goats. In addition to the dogs (currently 4 adults and 8 puppies), we also raise several heritage breeds of chickens, a couple of rescue horses and a very well loved Shetland Pony.

I enjoy "doing" stuff (bottle trees, totems, yard signs) and generally fooling around in the yard. We live on a farm about a half mile from the nearest neighbor, so no issues with people complaining about my "treasures". (although after we put up the bottle tree they do tend to drive by the house slowly just to see if there's anything new.)

My latest project will involve a six foot mannequin that DH gave me for our anniversary. I haven't decided if I'm going to display her intact or dismantled (There's something to be said for a pair of legs sticking up out of the bushes, not to mention all the fun I can have with her arms), but in all likelihood, I'll end up painting her green.

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. I joined the forum less than a year ago, I stumbled in when I googled bottle trees. Boy did I open a can of worms. I am originally from Louisisana, but have lived in N.Central Arkansas for about 13 years. I will be 50 on April 15th of the this year.(Congrats Luna and we can be 50 together!) I have been married to the same DH for 33 years and we have one DS who lives in Chicago. I also have the most precious furchild Smidge. I work full time more or less as an office manager at a radio station. We have an average house in an average neighborhood and that's about all the average I can stand (hence the excessfroufrou). I love being in the yard and anything that goes along with it. We are also big campers. This forum has inspired me to make a bottle tree, bed frame flowerbed, recycled greenhouse, and too many totems, plate flowers, shrooms and bottle/votive bugs to count. I actually participated in a craft show at Christmas and did well. I've collected jumping horses, chandeliers, dishes, tiles, and endless boxes of junk for future projects. I have plans for mosiac projects, a Wizard of Oz Garden, garden chandy and on and on. I blame the Holiday forum for not finishing more GJ projects this winter. It is has been a hard winter for us here and I am chomping at the bit to be outside.
    Syble

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

Hi! I'm Thyme, and I was a newbie hear last year about this time. I have to ignore the gardening sites over the winter or I'll go NUTS with spring fever!

My grown daughter has just returned to college getting a degree in Holistic Nutrition, so is VERY interested in planting multi-season veggie gardens, all organic, so I have a partner in crime to "play" with in my gardening efforts.

I'm busy collecting anything and everything I can get to plant in! At the dump today, I talked a guy out of tossing a Weber BBQ grill into the pile and give it to me...I'm thinking I'll plant some red hot poker plants in it along with perhaps some red lettuce blends...red to represent fire! Then, this evening a lady was advertising an old rickety wheelbarrow on Freecycle and when I went to pick it up, she also gave me a cedar planter box and a shovel with a broken handle. I'm VERY anxious to start planting in it all.

I have 2 grown children, a hubby of 41 years, 3 grandkids and a lot of creative "junk" in my gardens! I LOVE this forum and all the wonderful people and terrific ideas!

• rainydaywoman_z8
    14 years ago

Hi--My name is Marty and I live in rainy Oregon. I'm usually at the tropicalesque site, as tropical gardening is my love. But after finding your glass totems, I've become a great fan of this site. I'm working on a blue bottle tree right now, and my musician son is helping me plan an Aurelian wind harp, which I also found here. This is so much fun, with all the creative ideas flowing.

I have all my garden seeds ordered, and am ready to try winter sowing for the first time, thanx to GW's info. I'd love to hear ideas from other Oregonians about what they grow, where they find plants and, most important, where they find blue bottles!

• akup_a
    14 years ago

I've been a member of garden junk for some time, just haven't had time to post often. I'm hoping to get back to "the junk" soon.
    I'm 51, married for 31 years & have two sons (29 & 25-who is married but no grandkids yet). I live in Texas. I'm crazy about tea pots & tea cups.
    I'm a big fan of the British sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances". I think it's hilarious of all the hijinks the main character, Hyacinth gets herself into trying to be someone she isn't. It reminds me to be myself.
    I enjoy this site. The people & their generosity has been a blessing to me. At one point in our marriage my DH begged me to stop being creative. He got so overwhelmed with so many projects that I had asked his help on. I tried to curb it but I was dying on the inside. The "Garden Junk" site gave me a new direction for my creativity & DH didn't have to suffer for it either.
    Vickie

• grannycanfixit
    14 years ago

Hi everyone just join,my name is Jill I have two Daughter 40 and 37 and 4 grandskids two girls 11 and 3 two boys 10 nd 4. My name came from my grandkids thanking I can fix anything anytime but that okay.I live in SC same Home my Husband grew up in,I have found so many great idea on here.Have make quite a few items.Love going to yard sales flea markets.Love flowers and gardening and cooking.I also have 6 sisters and we all live within 20 miles so we get together all the time and take a trip once a year we have a great time.I haven't got posting picture yet but i will soon. Ready for Spring and digging in the dirt.

• doodys
    14 years ago

Hi everyone.My name is Marie and live in Louisiana.My DH and I have been married 40 yrs with 3 grown children plus 6 grand kids.I have been a fan of GW ever since I saw the junk site.My kids always think I'm a little strange when it comes to making up ideas with stuff I find,but can't help it,'It's in the blood'.There are a lot of talented ppl on here and cannot pass a day without seeing what's been made.Sometimes my husband cannot picture what I intend to make but always is supportive of my visions(lol).

• birdhousesandbuds
    14 years ago

Hi All
    We just joined the Garden Web. The first thing we searched was the forums. When we came across the Garden Junk we knew we had found a home. It is a blast knowing there is so many others that love garden junk.
    Looking forward to a long relationship with fellow junkers.
    Have a great day and Keep Junking.
    Michele

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

I read, but seldom post...but I am a junk lover at heart. I am Marilyn, and I live in s/e Texas on Chocolate Bayou. Currently working on a 100 year old farm house that we had moved to our land and added onto. I love the outdoors...plants, ponds...at one time was very into waterlilies. Animals...cats, horses, dogs, chickens, two feral hogs, fish, and I rehab wildlife...mainly possums. I like possums...we are kindred spirits...they are scavengers, and so am I.

I'm 63 years old, one grown daughter who lives and works in Houston, and my husband is a tow boat pilot, so gone most of the time.

I collect lots of stuff...easier to list what I don't collect than what I do. I don't collect dolls or quilts. I have lots of everything else...including 4 out buildings full. One of them, my husband calls the Rust Palace. He says I don't like anything that doesn't rust or paint won't peel off of. Here is a little glimpse inside the door...but you really can't see much.

{{gwi:131166}}

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Wow Marilyn....I'd like to come scavenge with you! Love all of your "rusty" stuff!

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

What an awesome group of people , dontcha think !!!

• joega
    14 years ago

Things have changed with me since I last posted in Feb. As I mentioned in the last post. I joined a New Company called "Scentsy"..OMGosh you guys. Scentsy rocks!! I am so excited!! Things have been going so well. Please contact me if you are interested in having your own little business..and /or if you love your home smelling good.I promise you are going to LOVE this.

• goldilocs
    14 years ago

Hi... My name is Laura... and I'm a junkaholic. Needless to say, I've found my home away from home. Although I have been to this site many times, I recently took the plunge to join and start posting. I am a graphic artist by trade but a painter, crafter and junker by heart. I like to repurpose things if I can instead of filling landfills. I recently made my first garden totem with help from other members here and I LOVE IT. I am currently hunting for something to mosaic!!! Any ideas anybody??? Any pics of anything you've done in mosaic???

• kylslil1
    13 years ago

Well, since I finally came out of lurkdom today, I thought I'd bump up this thread too.

Hello, I'm Erin and I live in NW Florida. I started following this forum at least five years ago after my husband and I bought our house. I have always liked taking old things and making them mine, which is one of the reasons I've liked you guys so much. Although I just turned thirty, when i was a teenager and also in my twenties, I still loved to make things "my own." Which to ALL my friends that was a weird thing. They wanted everything new and bright and shiny and clean lines....I wanted rust and aging and curves and bright bold lines. So, even though I've never posted I always followed all your things because I felt on this level we were more kin than my friends.

I have a couple acres on a lake, to which I am slowly landscaping and adding my junk in of course.:) My deck and flower bed to the right of my deck are a sea/nautical theme. Everything in that bed blooms blue or purplish. My rose bed area is pink or Victorian themed and my front flower bed is anything bright...bright pinks, yellows, oranges, greens...

I will not lie, I have swiped quite a few of your ideas, my husband threatens to ban me from reading this forum because I always leave with a new project to start!(i imagine you all know the feeling)

As far as home stuff, I have a husband and a six month old little boy. I had no idea kids were so awesome! I also have a cat named little bit.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Welcome to ALL of our new Garden Junkers! Nice to hear from you kylslil1...looking forward to seeing pictures of all of your garden junk soon. Let's hear from some of the rest of you too!

• grandma_cindy
    13 years ago

OK, I'll bite LOL
    I'm Cindy, I live in NE Ohio in a lil town called Orrville (think Smuckers LOL). I have 2 grown boys 31 & 33, 2 grown stepkids, boy 25 and girl 23. I have 6 and 8/9 grandchildren (#7 is due Aug 24): Summer is 9, Aiden is 5, Stephanie is 4, Kaylee is 4, Kimberly is 3, Allicia is 2, and the new one is a boy thank goodness! Aiden is feeling very outnumbered.
    I am a retired RN (as of recently) and I have to admit, while I miss some aspects of nursing, I really like NOT working so I can spend more time crafting!!!!!
    I like many types of crafting - from plastic canvas to painting clay pots to decorating glass blocks to sewing (things like neck coolers or warmers and burp rags) to upcycling just about anything! I tend to fall into a project, do nothing but that for weeks, then get sucked into a new project, etc etc etc LOL
    I'm not real successful in selling my craft items, so my family usually end up being the lucky (?) recipients LOL I'd love to be profitable at this, but I'm a lousy salesman, and can't seem to find the right venue!

• belle26101
    13 years ago

Hi all...I'm Elizabeth & live in Parkersburg WV. I have been a member about 1 day & have very little imagination(in the garden), so these posts are a life saver! I am new to gardening as well...therefore everyhting I read in here is MAGIC! Hope to create & share with you soon :)

• Deb Kozuszek
    13 years ago

Hi --I am Deb and I have lurked here for about 5 years! I love the imagination everyone has and have "borrowed "many ideas from here!! I live in Southern Illinois and have been married for 34 years. I am disabled after working in a factory for 18 years. We have one daughter that is 31 and a son-in-law and four grands 13, 11, 9, and 3! I have always done crafting of some kind and I love flowers and gardening so garden junk is my favorite!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I live in San Antonio, Texas. I've been retired a couple of years and have been on GW about that long. A few months ago I found this site and have been addicted since. Yard art is welcome around here, so I plan to join the fun. I'm still collecting stuff, but hope to get some projects together soon.

You are all so inspiring and fun. I enjoy seeing your projects.

Shirley

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Hello all........I am fairly new to this forum but have fallen head-or-heals in love with it. I live in Texas between Houston and Victoria, and about 45 minutes from the gulf. Been married 42 years this month, 1 daughter and 1 son, 3 grandkids. I've always liked and have done crafty things. Used to sew and really want to get back to doing that only don't seem to have enough time in the day, as I have become more involved in crafting and junking. Absolutely love garage saleing and dropping in on 2nd time around shops. MY DH has learned thru the years not to tell me I can't do something!! (as in I don't know how to do it) Some years back when making things out of old barn wood was the rage, I decided I wanted an entertainment center. Barn wood was not available but old fence boards was. When I got it almost done I started running out of boards, thats when I discovered old shipping pallets that had been laying out in the weather for some time worked just as good! I still have it in my living room, it's about 8 foot long and 6 foot tall, it houses my TV, DVD player, wii games, there's a door for the cd's, 3 shelves for collectables, and electric firplace, formerly held an aquarium, and when I got tired of that I enclosed that area in glass, put a light in it and have a collectables area, and guess whose collection is in it!?!?! DH!! About a month ago he also told me I "couldn't" build a bed WRONG!!! I now have a full size bed, with six draweres, which used to be part of a water bed, that I found along side the road waiting for the garbage man to pick up, thank goodness I beat him to them!!. Behind the drawers I have a lift up board that houses a storage area 75" long by 33" and is 19" deep. The headboard is designed to be a shelf and is 6" thick. The top board lifts up and I store 2 card tables in that area.(will post pics if anyone is interested) So I'm not a can't do, or at least give it my best shot kinda gal! LOVE ALL the ideas posted and already have used some of the ideas. I feel like I have an extended family out there. Hope everyone keeps all the good ideas coming and I especially like all the pics posted, makes me feel like I am there.
    When I'm not at work, I like spending time in my garden and creating things for my garden. I also like hunting, although with age (61 years young now!) I do more hunting with my camera.
    Linda

• dollydee
    13 years ago

I am Delores, I live in Holly Springs, MS (30 miles east of Memphis) First let me say "Thank You" to all the GJers who have made me feel so welcome, you guys are great and I have enjoyed this forum so much already!

I am 46 and have been married to my wonderful DH for almost 23 years. We live in a Civil War town which is mostly Antebellum homes, our's is an 1890's Queen Anne Victorian. We love old homes, I actually love anything old...LOL The only down side to old homes is old LARGE trees, so most of my yard is shaded. I have always enjoyed being outside even when I was little. My mom and grandmother have always gardened, so I guess it's in my blood.

I am a stay at home mom of 3 children (ages 21, 19 and 14) the oldest 2 have moved out on their own. I also have a 2 yeard old granddaughter.

I left my corporate job back in 1996 when my youngest DD was born, I wanted to be able to spend more time with the kids. I started restoring vintage dolls and selling on eBay to make extra income. In the last couple of years I have taught myself how to decorate cakes as well.

My mom and I yard sale almost every weekend, she loves it as much or more than I do. We actually have withdrawals during the winter months...LOL

I am so glad to have found this forum, I just love it here!!!

• User
    13 years ago

I've been around for years, almost since the inception of Garden Junk. I love old rusty, chippy things. I will plant a flower in anything that holds dirt. When we moved from Arizona to Indiana I sold almost all my garden junk. I haven't been doing much junking since moving back to Indiana but I visit this forum often and when the weather cools off I'll be doing some junking. Right now I can't take the humidity outside.

I was fortunate to meet nonacook a few years ago when she and her husband Bill were spending the summer in Indiana. She's one of the sweetest people you could ever meet.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, my name is Cheryl...and I'm a junkaholic. DH and I are both Navy veterans and have three grown daughters and one DGS. We live west of Fort Worth, Texas in a little place called Springtown. We have a couple acres and a house that might be called farmhouse style, although it isn't old at all. We have dogs, cats and chickens. I've been a junker on this forum for 8-9 years, I think, and before that I was a freelance junker for about 20 years.

I love to refinish or repurpose old furniture pieces, make wooden childrens toys, putter in my greenhouse, and create beauty in the gardens around our home. I also paint, quilt, read and sew a little bit. I'm still working full time for the federal government, although I retired from the Navy reserve in 2006, so I have a lot more free time now. We also take care of our 3 yo DGS full time for DD3# who is in the Army stationed at Ft. Bliss.

I stopped posting here for a couple years when I got sick in late '07, but I have been cancer free now for 30 months, and feel great. I'm a shameless curb shopper, not afraid to haggle at garage sales or thrift stores and have even been known to ask someone if they wanted to sell something to me that was sitting in their yard. Sometimes they say YES!

I found the junk forum after googling roses and getting the GW site. I still love roses and have over 80 of them, but junk is the stuff that speaks to my heart. I have a collection of nautical junk in my office, including scrimshaw, carved nuts called tagua, an artificial "beach" in a bottle composed of Pensacola sand and seashells from all over the world, and various and sundry analysts tools that I used back in my younger days in the Navy. I have film canisters, loups, patches, 10-point dividers, a complete Leroy lettering set with ink and nibs, stereoscopes, rubber stamps, locks, compasses, aerial sliderules, and of course my command coin collection. I even have a Navy Barbie and a Navy GI Joe. On one wall I have all my 'I Love Me' plaques and certificates, on the other walls I have framed pages taken from old magazines that advertised the military services. I have pictures of all three of my daughters in their uniforms and one of my father when he first joined the Army Air Corps in 1940.

At home you could only describe my decor as 'eclectic' because I have a mish-mosh of new, nearly new, not so new, kinda old, downright ratty, and genuine antiques. I collect vintage tablecloths from the 30's, 40's and 50's, rusty metal things I like, pretty glass things for no particular reason at all, and somehow I have accumulated 9 sets of dishes, most of them vintage.

The Garden Junk forum is the most lively, interactive and interesting of all the forums on the GW. I never fail to come away from it without that unbearable urge to go to the thrift store! Cheryl

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Wow, Cheryl! I've seen your posts and always wished I knew more of your story. Now I do and it's just as interesting as I thought it might be.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Hey, Shirley, I take that as a complement, thank you! Cheryl

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Cheryl, seamommy, a HUGE thank you to you and your whole family for serving in the military!
    This great country needs and appreciates you more than I can say.

I am Rusty.
    In more ways than one.

But no, my hair is not now, nor has it ever been, any shade of red.

I've been mostly lurking on this forum for a number of years now.
    I have posted very seldom, and only very briefly.

I've been "collecting" for totems, plate flowers, mosaics, you name it, ever since I first discovered this forum.
    But I have yet to actually use any of the 'stuff' to make something.
    When our Marine Grandson came back here to live and go to college to get his degree, all my 'stuff' was moved from my craft room to the garage, in no particular order.
    And now I have no place to 'create'.
    I know there are all kinds of dishes, etc, out there, I just can't get to them.
    The upside is, when I finally do, it will be like Christmas!
    But I'd gladly give up a lot more than just some space to help that grandson!
    Grandkids are the light of my life!

Some day. . . . (sigh)

Rusty

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

Hello, I'm Tracy. I'm a French teacher. I live in Chittenango, NY with my BF and my 2 DDs (also 2 dogs & a cat) I am relatively new to junking, and am trying a little of everything. Everyone here has been wonderful, and there are SOOOOOOOO many great ideas!!

• caroleena
    13 years ago

i'm Carolyn, aka Caroleena. disabled RN after 25 years of mostly ICU work. became involved in gardening & garden junk after a breast cancer diagnosis in 2005- cancer free now. been here about that long. lurk more than i post but love the projects. so many great ideas.
    born in west Georgia and have lived in Southeast Alabama since 1976. Married to Marv for 27 yrs. we have 2 boys ages 20 & 25. 4 steps and step kids from his first marriage. i love old stuff, southern cooking and crafts. have 5 pomeranians that demand a lot of my time. @ 57 yrs old, i don't feel any different than i did @ 17 but my arthritic joints do!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Cheryl - Absolutely meant as a compliment! I apologize for not making that more clear. Sometimes when you say the same words in person it makes more sense than when writing and the tone is missing. Well, the thought was there!

Until now, I'd only read a few references you'd made here and there about your lives. You and your family are amazing in your dedication to duty and service.

• midnitecrafter
    13 years ago

Hi my name is Sharon and I love this site!!! Although I'm not able to post much, I do alot of lurking. I'm 46, married with 2 beautiful and creative children,19 and 15. We live in Racine County on 2 acres, in a house we had built. Although I would rather live in an old farmhouse. I love old farmhouses and the architecture and history of it all. I'm an RN and work with the elderly part-time 2nd shift. My husband is a junker too and we often compare roadside and dumpster finds. I also love crafting, sewing, rummage sales and gardening. My son calls it "the project of the week." I picked my user name because when my daughter was little the only time I was able to work on projects was the nite time and often worked on projects through the wee hours. I have made some wondrful glass totems that were inspired from this website and love reading all your posts. You all seem like such nice people, perhaps someday we may meet. Happy Trails to you all! and Thank You for sharing.

• sab66
    13 years ago

Hi, Ya'll, I just love this site...started out on the hypertufa forum, but move around. I joined last year when I started playing in the mud. I killed all the grass in the yard and planted periwinkle, so the neighbors think I'm nuts anyway. I've placed some of the hypertufa object among the hostas and may try to snick in some garden junk. Wish my grandpa could have seen this site....everyone thought he was crazy too. He was a farmer and in his down times would put together all kinds of stuff. As I recall, windmills were his specialty. My daughter and 13 yo granddaughter live with me. The Gdaughter loves my stuff and she's painting a mural on the side of the garage. We still don't post pictures, but I love to look at yours. All for now, Tootles

• hookedonscents
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. My name is Esther Hartsky. I came across the forum while searching for ideas on decorating my home. The posts here are much more useful than many other home forums, so I decided to join. My husband and three boys and I currently live in Colorado but will be moving to Wyoming soon. My decorating ideas living with an outdoorsman are centered around, well, the outdoors. But I sneak my sunflowers in whenever I can ;)

• greensuzq
    13 years ago

Hi, I recently joined Garden Web, although years ago I joined in the gardening section. But, went back to work, long hours, long travel and just to many hours away from home to enjoy the beauty around us.

I recently became unemployed due to General Motors (worked for a company associated with GM) and my husband has moved to MI to continue working for GM. Now I am back and forth between MI and TN since we are not giving up our home here that we plan on retiring at. So this year has been a struggle on knowing which direction to follow. I have extra time on my hands and I find recycling junk very interesting.

I live in southwest TN and love it here. Although the weather has been far too hot to enjoy. I know it has been like this everywhere. So now that the weather is cooling off I should have more time outside to start and finish things I am in the middle of, due to getting involved with junk. :)

I googled glass totems and found this site. My mother n law had made a couple and I fell in love. I have since made some and really got into making plate flowers. I also have copied many of the things posted here and hope to try them all in time.

I plan on selling some garden junk items at the yearly OctoberFest in my local area next month. Just getting started and not really wanting to get rid of anything I have made yet. So not sure what all I will be selling.

My birthday is coming up soon and I will be 57. Too young to retire and too old to look for another job. I want to be able to travel back and forth to MI to see my hubby so I need something flexible. So I am thinking of getting into re-purposing junk.

Hubby will be home for the weekend and I might go to MI next week. I haven't been able to show him the mess I made of the barn with all of our junk we had and the stuff I have been buying at TS,GW and antique places. I have an area to work once it isn't 100 degrees and love it. I would love to go see Shabby Joes display at an art fair in Marshall, MI not far from my hubby.

Well, this is it for me. I am excited and have things to finish before DH gets home late tonight. Thank you all for the ideas here and the support you give each other. Suzq

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

bump ... for "muddypaws" to see. Jeanne S.

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

A big hello and happy New Year to all of you fellow junkers. I absolutely love this forum. I have been able to save so many of your wonderful ideas. I love plate flowers, totems, and the chandis that I saw posted here with the birdhouses on them. My name is azcactusflower aka as Sylvia. I became a member in May of 2010. I found your forum when I was looking for garden decorations. Boy did I find the mother lode!!! Everything created by all of you creative people is amazing.I am a retired school teacher and have lived all my life here in Southeastern AZ. My husband and I celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in September.We are the proud parents of 3 sons and 1 daughter, 14 grandchildren and 1 great-granddaughter.Life is sweet and good!I think I have finally collected enough glassware and teapots to make several totems. I can barely wait for spring to get here. I have found much inspiration from all of your postings of your projects. I feel right at home here. I hope to be able to post some pics of my projects when I am able to put them together. I truly enjoyed the secret santa project. It was so much fun to be able to participate and do something that helped the Christmas spirit, that is for sure. Right now we are experiencing some unusual weather for our area. We are actually having below freezing temps around here. I love the snow on the mountains surrounding our valley. It is a beautiful sight! Well I guess I have jabbered long enough. LOL to all of you and I hope to be able to share with you as you have shared with all of us. A Happy and Blessed New Year to All of You.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

I have been around quite awhile off and on but care giving for two elderly relatives has kept me really busy.
    I get so many great ideas and feedback from all my GJ friends and have also found some on Facebook! I now have seven grandkids, two dogs 1 cat 8 ducks and my sweet husband who puts up with me and my crazy art style!I have started blogging and will be adding more about water features, whimsy and gardens. Follow me!
    tanya

• puggranny
    13 years ago

HI to all
    I joined several years ago but have lurked. I live in between San Antonio and Austin TX. Been married to my husband 30 years. We have 2 grown daughters both married. One has blessed with 2 wonderful grandsons. The other daughter has our two grandpugs. Hubby & I have 2 dogs (they think they are children) Buster is a Boston Terrier and Lucy is a pug. I am awaiting knee surgery one Thurs so since I can not get around I have started on some projects. The ideas came from here. SO many crafty people!!! May everyone have a WOnderful New Year!!!

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Hello, everyone! I just learned about Garden Junk a couple of days ago and I think I would really like to be a part of it. I have been lurking and posting on Tole Painting and Decorating for a few months. I heard about Garden Junk from Purplemoon (Karen).

My name is Marylee and I live in Ohio and I am 74 years old. I have two grown sons, two grown daughters, four grown grandchildren and one great grandson.

I have loved doing crafty things for years. I do a little of a lot of things..Painting, crocheting, knitting, embroidery, cross stitch, macrame (when it was the thing). I plant a lot of flowers, mostly perennials and I am ready for spring. I also do a lot of work on my house..painting, papering, crown molding, flooring, etc. I want to learn to quilt. I have decorated two bowling balls for my yard and want to do another as a lady bug (I think they are so cute) I want to make some totems, too.

Puggranny, I want to wish you good luck with your knee surgery. I had knee replacement last May and got along just fine. It is wonderful just to be able to walk through my house or through a store without hurting.

I will close now. Thank you for listening. Marylee

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Welcome to all of our "new" members and those of you who have been missing in action for a while! I think you will find this group to be one of the friendliest around and we LOVE to see what you've been up and please post pictures whenever you can!

Welcome! Welcome!